Anyone deal with any of the communicable diseases? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just gets me thinking... has anyone dealt with any of the communicable diseases that we vaccinate for? I know we take a risk, vaccines or no vaccines, for me non-vaxing poses less of a threat to me... HOWEVER, I still worry about what goes around in schools and having a newborn in the house soon, its just got me thinking. (since DD is starting preschool tomorrow and I'm due in a few weeks).

Just looking for advice for the chance that she came home with one of these bugs.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM

My 8yo had whooping cough at 6mo and chicken pox at 18mo. My 5yo hasn't had anything. Other than the coughing sounding horrible and the chicken pox being annoying (for me, he didn't seem to mind), it wasn't a big deal for us. 

I have no idea where they came from. I didn't have kids in public school at the time, we just did the normal outings on a regular basis. *shrug*

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#3 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

How'd you deal with the whooping cough? My good friends daughter had it when she was 5 (also non-vaxed) and ever since has been dealing with somewhat weakened lungs (asthma and allergies). 

Guess I'm not too concerned about chicken pox... I can't believe we even vaccinate for that as it seems to be leading to more problems since kids aren't so exposed anymore!! Hopefully I can find someone to give that bug to my kiddies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrrl View Post

My 8yo had whooping cough at 6mo and chicken pox at 18mo. My 5yo hasn't had anything. Other than the coughing sounding horrible and the chicken pox being annoying (for me, he didn't seem to mind), it wasn't a big deal for us. 

I have no idea where they came from. I didn't have kids in public school at the time, we just did the normal outings on a regular basis. *shrug*

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#4 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DS had whooping cough at 23 months. He caught it from his up-to-date father. Both father and son recovered without complications, although recovery with DS was quicker. I've not seen any evidence, in our case, of any long lasting effects. 

Personally, I've had mumps (vaxed for it), pertussis (vaxed for it), and chicken pox (no vaccines available at the time). I've not had any boosters since 1980 and somehow I'm still alive.

What's going around in schools is usually a heck of a lot of snotty colds, GI bugs, and the occasional bout of pink eye. At least that's been our experience with attending school. Oh and the nits and worms...don't forget those either. We've not had to contend with any VADs (yet), just letters home about the usual school germs and parasites.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had pertussis, CP, H1N1 back when it was a "big deal", and a direct exposure to HIB but we didn't get it. Pertussis came from my DH and yes, we did have issues with that one but DD2 was a newborn, she does have significant lingering effects. I exposed my oldest two to CP. H1N1 did come from school, we got it even before the vax came out. The kids did fine with it, DH got some weird heart issues with it, but that soon passed. A toddler at a soccer game that was playing with DD2's toys on our blanket was lifeflighted away a day later with HIB. I think that is the only illness in her life that she never got! School for us has just been a petri dish of the viruses japonia mentioned, mostly lots of colds and stomach bugs especially in the preschool age, it very slowly gets better the older they get. I didn't mentioned influenza, but we've had that 3 times in the last several years as well. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM

All my boys got pertussis last Aug.  My youngest was 18mos at the time.  I have to admit.  It was scary.  I knew what to expect, and I actually just called the dr and said "The cough has lasted 3 weeks, and he's just started whooping.  Can we get a test to verify?  It was positive.  After much debate/concern, I gave him the antibiotics.  ds2 (was 4yo at the time) started coughing soon after, got him the meds right away (his was a MUCH more mild version.)

My 18mos definitely coughed the full 90 days.  But, I did notice a marked improvement after he finished the meds.  He stopped coughing to the point of vomiting (which he did daily for about 3 weeks). 

That the only VPD we've had here.  I'm not totally sure where it came from.  ds1 was in school at that time, he sort of led the pack with a cough, but he never sounded like the other 2 did.  His was a normal "cold" cough, runny nose.  When I think back, (I have an in-home daycare) I had a dcb at that time that had a ridiculous cough for WEEKS.  His mom pulled him out after about 3 weeks to stay home.  Anyway, she posted on facebook about the fact that he STILL had a cough. (that was 5 weeks in).  I never did follow up with her.  But, she wasn't really vaxing on schedule due to fear and she wasn't really into learning more about the "right" way to non-vax either.  (which is just really about being educated.)  So, I *think* my kids got it from him.  But, I'll never know for sure.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#7 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

This is good to know.  I think the big fear I have is the illness management, perhaps the pertussis is what weighed on my mind most since my friends non-vaxed child had some long term complications from it (although I'm sure a majority of the cases came from the vaxed population, anyways).

On the proactive end I try to feed her healthy (although I'm still not sure what she's eating with her grandparents!), probiotics and some good whole food vitamins and loving chiro adjustments to hopefully keep her immune system as boosted as possible.  I guess this is what we can do as parents because inevitably those bugs come and some are tougher to deal with than others (which is the part that I never look forward to).  Comforting to hear that most of the bugs are the typical bugs we find anyways (except for the lice/nits thing. Not read to deal with those, but are we ever?)

I wonder what the "it illness" of the season with "limited vaccines" will be this time around shrug.gif

#8 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Dd has had the flu 2x (age 2 and 3) and rotavirus (age 3, I was pregnant). We kept her home, hydrated, and rested. We didn't use fever reducers. We washed our hands a lot (and the toilets with rota). We listened to what dd's body needed and stuck with healthy food and drink options. She got sick, she got better. Just like with non-VADs.

#9 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post

How'd you deal with the whooping cough? My good friends daughter had it when she was 5 (also non-vaxed) and ever since has been dealing with somewhat weakened lungs (asthma and allergies). 

Guess I'm not too concerned about chicken pox... I can't believe we even vaccinate for that as it seems to be leading to more problems since kids aren't so exposed anymore!! Hopefully I can find someone to give that bug to my kiddies!

I took him to the doc after hearing the cough online, it was diagnosed, we were given antibiotics and told to stay away from people for a while. He's had no complications related to it that I know of. He does have seasonal allergies, but so do I and my siblings and my father, so I can't really blame that on whooping cough. shrug.gif

It was a long time ago (8yrs), so I don't really remember it much. lol

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#10 of 10 Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Mine have had chicken pox and whooping cough. Maybe some others but none that stand out as different than having a cold or flu. We went to a pox party (which I found here in our tribe section) for pox so we were very prepared. With the exception of one neighbor that had a newborn in the house, everyone in our neighborhood was constantly sending their kids over to play, with a single popsicle, lolipop, or soda to share with my kids. lol We were the only non-vaxers in the hood, but even vaxers know that catching the bug is the best defense. ;) I had let them all know that my kids were exposed (just not that we did it on purpose) and how the others were reacting, so they could keep their kids isolated if they wanted to. Like I said, that one family was very annoyed at us for not keeping our kids isolated, so they had to keep theirs in isolation for like 3 months while pox spread around the neighborhood. lol Everyone else thought it was weird I would bother to warn them, but figured they'd take advantage of the knowledge anyway.

With whooping cough, ds has some serious problems with anti-biotics so I did a LOT of research as soon as I thought he *might* have it. What I found was something better than anti-biotics. High doses (like, as much as your kid's stomach can stand) of vitamin C. Not for it's boost to the body. When added to a petri dish with the bacteria...not only does it kill the bacteria, but it breaks up the waste the bacteria creates. You keep having symptoms while the waste is in your system. Anti-biotics kill the bacteria so you aren't contagious, but your body has to clear the dead bacteria and waste out still. Pumping a ton of vit C through your system (if you get the runs, you're taking too much. Anything short of that will have no adverse effect), kills the bacteria and breaks up the waste so your body can dispose of it faster. It's important to spread out the Vit C through your day. Whatever pill size you get, take only one at a time. 500mg at each meal, or 1000mg each hour....whatever schedule works best for you. Ds had whooping cough for about a week...he had symptoms for 2 days from the time we started vit C. We kept going an additional day, just to be on the safe side. The problem with vit C is that everyone's body is different so the dosage isn't easily standardized. At 11, ds was taking like 5000mg daily plus eating tons of citrus fruits at that time. When a 4yr old we knew caught whooping cough, he was only able to take like 1500mg daily comfortably. He had symptoms for about a week after starting treatment. An adult friend used this treatment, too, but at 6000mg daily and had symptoms for a week after starting treatment. She had a host of medical issues though, one of which caused constipation so the vit C wasn't an issue like it might be for someone else.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page