New childcare provider asking about vax status - what do I say??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I work part time and just found a new childcare provider for my 2 1/2 yr old dd - she is a SAHM with 2 kids.  She has a contract that she uses and one question is:

Are the child/children's immunizations up to date and will they continue to be  updated accordingly?

If you responded "no" please elaborate.

What do I say?  My previous provider never asked and I never said anything.  I am concerned about her refusing to take my child but more concerned that she might overreact and call CPS or something - there is SO MUCH fear mongering about vaccines and I am really concerned about how she will react.

I am thinking of saying something like:

"after my neice had a vaccine reaction, we spent months researching the risks and benefits and vaccines and diseases and we are comfortable in our decision not to vaccinate.  Our doctor is supportive of our decision.  I would be happy to discuss this further if you have any questions or concerns."

I am also a little concerned because she wants me to sign a medical release in case of emergencies.  I guess I could add a part that I do not consent to any vaccines.

I am supposed to take my dd in the morning - I think I will probably bring the contract to her when I go to pick her up and not say anything about it unless she brings it up - or should I just bring it in the morning when I drop off my dd?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i think i would be as honest as possible with her and explain your reasons. she has a right to choose the same as you do. im sure it will work out.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe that if she is state licensed ( I know that in Alaska my friend HAD to be licensed for her in-home childcare business) then she has to follow the state's stand on vaccination exemption. ie, if she's state licensed and your state allows philosophical exemptions, then she cannot refuse *based on vaccinations status*. Of course, she could make up something, but that gets into a whole legal mess.

Of course, if she's not licensed, that's a whole other story.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the statement you wrote is fine. but PP is right. If she is not a licensed provider, she has the right to refuse your DD. If that happens, cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thanks everyone - she is not licensed, she is a SAHM that has taken care of a few kids part time to get some extra money.  I decided to give her a call before I brought dd today because I think she does have the right to decide if she is comfortable watching my dd, and I didn't want it to seem like I am trying to hide it from her.

Thankfully, she responded well - her initial response was that she didn't think it would be a problem since her kids are vaxed, but she wanted to call her dr to make sure.  her brother in law is a dr and he told he that he thought it would be more of a risk for my dd and as long as I was willing to abide by her sick policy and not bring dd if she shows any signs of illness, it would be fine.

I am really relieved - some people just react very irrationally when it comes to vaxes and I had no idea what her position was.  I definitely don't advertise the fact that I don't vax and I don't enjoy debates.

Does anyone know if private preschools can refuse nonvaxers?  I had never really thought about that before - I assume private schools and day cares have the right to refuse someone, right?  Have any of you encountered that situation? 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm glad it worked out!

My children go to a private preschool, and I simply had to write a little note saying we don't vax and not a word was said about it. I live in Canada though.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM

I guess if it were me, I would've said "yes, he's up to date."  Up to date on my (non-vaxing) schedule.  As long as she wasn't looking for a print out from the doctor about his vax record, I'd let it be.  My son's health record & vax status is not for public knowledge.  

If she's not licensed, she doesn't have to report to the state, which would require something to be on file-exemption or vax record.  

Anyway, I am glad all worked out!

edit:  I've done both; the SAHM sitter and licensed center.  For the SAHM, she assumed he was vaxxed and I never corrected her (smile, head nod, shoulder shrug).  I let her believe what she wanted to believe.  For the licensed center, I had to write a statement of exemption and had no problems...and it is a private center.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM

For private schools, it depends on the state. In my school, yes, they must accept non-vaxxers.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM

I have a home daycare, and because I'm licensed, I do follow the state requirements.  My state has a medical and religious exemption.  But, I know other providers who will "lie" and just refuse the child based on another reason.  That's really unfortunate.

I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.

User Tag List