Unvaccinated Kids as a Threat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I've been a non-vaxing parent for 5.5 years now, so I'm usually pretty good at letting pro-vax comments go. But there's one that always gets to me: The unvaccinated are a threat to all people.

I know that people who have had the IPV vax can still be carriers for polio. I believe that the other contagious diseases and vaccines (measles, for example) create the same effect. I know I read the IPV info here. 

It's hard to find arguments that refute the myth that the unvaccinated are dangerous. I admit I'm especially mad right now because someone on another forum called my child "a loaded gun". I usually stay out of vaccine discussions entirely, but someone asked about doing the schedule vs. separating, and I advocated separating. 

Anyone???

Thanks!

~Robyn

applejuice likes this.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#2 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i've been a nonvaxing mom for over 20yrs, and the comments will never end. I have heard that comment for over 20yrs too.   People are just too quick to believe someone in "authority" on the issue, rather than seeing the truth with their own eyes or making a judgement about the issue on their own.  To me, its pointless to argue with someone who wants to change your mind when its clear thats all they have on their agenda. If they were truly interested, they would welcome info on the contrary to the practice, and thus, make an informed choice.  But for me, people who just make blanket statements about vaxing with no supporting argument, they mite as well just shut up, because the more they talk, the more idiotic they sound.(speaking from experience that still continues)

and i advocate for informed choice.. if/when parents want to vax, that's on them.. i just hope they made an informed decision.

#3 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Seems like i should be talking with you two! I am pregnant with my first (14w) and am leaning towards no vax. my mom is one of 9 - none of whom were vaccinated, and my brother and I were not  as well....so naturally I lean this way. However, my baby's father is not completely on board...and Im not sure that I will be able to convince him. What are your thoughts on some yes, some no? HELP!

#4 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Loaded gun huh? You need to remind that they should revisit why they vaccinated in the first place, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredhead View Post

Hi,

I've been a non-vaxing parent for 5.5 years now, so I'm usually pretty good at letting pro-vax comments go. But there's one that always gets to me: The unvaccinated are a threat to all people.

I know that people who have had the IPV vax can still be carriers for polio. I believe that the other contagious diseases and vaccines (measles, for example) create the same effect. I know I read the IPV info here. 

It's hard to find arguments that refute the myth that the unvaccinated are dangerous. I admit I'm especially mad right now because someone on another forum called my child "a loaded gun". I usually stay out of vaccine discussions entirely, but someone asked about doing the schedule vs. separating, and I advocated separating. 

Anyone???

Thanks!

~Robyn

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#5 of 21 Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

A woman asked if there was any reason to vax on a delayed schedule. Almost everyone posted no. One person posted that her child had a serious reaction to vaccines, so they didn't vax for medical reasons. I posted that vaccination should be a choice and included a list of everything in the first batch of vaccines.

Under normal circumstances, I would have stayed out of it, but, given the topic, I thought I was being neutral enough. Apparently I was wrong. 

I just want to know if vaccinated people can carry the diseases for which they're vaccinated. I believe that they can. I know they can with polio if they received IPV as opposed to OPV. The "your child is a threat to my child" is the only argument that I can't immediately refute. Simply saying that "Your child is vaccinated, so you shouldn't worry" isn't enough. Some people know that vaccines aren't 100% and that there are people who can't receive vaccines for medical reasons. To these people, the unvaxed are threats.

Thanks!

~ Robyn

#6 of 21 Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
"Your child is vaccinated, so you shouldn't worry" isn't enough. Some people know that vaccines aren't 100% and that there are people who can't receive vaccines for medical reasons. To these people, the unvaxed are threats.

and some vaxes shed so "those" people are threatened anyway...

rebecca_n likes this.
#7 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM

There are several vaccines that do not prevent transmission ~ Tdap and pertussis are really good examples. There is absolutely no evidence that these vaccines prevent transmission ~ and even further there is some evidence that a vaccinated individual can be a carrier. The vaccine can lessen the symptoms of pertussis thereby making it easier to spread to those "too young to vax".

Another is that vaxing their kids against chicken pox actually shifts danger to the older population by causing more frequent bouts of shingles. I was talking with my neighbor the other day who was asked to get a shingles vaccine. This never used to be as big of a problem ~ but the wild virus is not out there boosting our natural immunity!

There is also no evidence that the HPV vaccine being administered to young girls (and a similar vaccine now approved for young boys) prevents transmission either!

IMHO ~ unless they are holding test subjects in a stainless steel drum ~ there is no evidence on any vaccine that transmission is prevented by vaccinating. It is only an assumed theory on the part of scientists...

There is a lot of danger in vaxing...

But I agree with the PP ~ I have given up trying to make up someone else's mind about vaccinations. I am tired of having crappy propaganda shoved down my throat so I only mention our vax status when I absolutely have to do it or when I am asked by a parent who is considering/researching not vaxing. My minister is on a big HPV kick right now ~ we attend a very liberal church however he seems to feel that the HPV vaccine is a modern scientific miracle and is going to save tons of lives! I have tried to kindly say ~ even if it was a really good vaccine and did what it proclaims to do (which I am skeptical about) ~ it is not going to get to the girls who actually would benefit from it because it is a 3-shot series at $400 each. Those who are actually dying of cervical cancer are lacking in healthcare coverage and funding to begin with...why not offer them annual pap smears and exams instead (probably save a good portion of that money spent vaccinating). But alas he continues to believe that this vaccine is going to save women every where ~ and I have decided that it is just not worth my time to debate someone or something that doesn't want to be debated (and likely has a lot of fear in thinking that he has just vaxed his 3 teenagers ~ 1 girl, 2 boys ~ for something that could potentially be dangerous). 

applejuice likes this.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#8 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Always happy to find some kindred folks. I don't even take my kids to the doctor unless they're actually sick! (Which is rare) Every time they get sick it's done and over with in less than a few days and they whine about being miserable. My brother is the same way. We always say that his immune system is so strong that if something ever makes him really sick, we'd better run for the hills!

The sheeple believing in vax as the keys to all health get to me too. We tried to take the kids to get a physical last year and were actually told we'd need to be quarantined because we didn't vax... I stomped out of there quickly!
#9 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post

There are several vaccines that do not prevent transmission ~ Tdap and pertussis are really good examples. There is absolutely no evidence that these vaccines prevent transmission ~ and even further there is some evidence that a vaccinated individual can be a carrier. The vaccine can lessen the symptoms of pertussis thereby making it easier to spread to those "too young to vax".

Thanks! This is what I wanted to know. 

The danger of the chicken pox vax is that it's bringing chicken pox to adults and shingles to kids. Anyone who has had chicken pox or the chicken pox vax can get shingles. Usually, senior citizens get it. But, because the chicken pox vax isn't all that effective, and it's not effective for very long, adults are starting to get chicken pox. Meanwhile, younger people are getting shingles. Shingles is very very painful, too. 

The HPV vax is a huge crock and potentially deadly. I hope they pull it.

Thanks for the info!

~Robyn

~ Robyn

#10 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post

We actually had another example of this in Queensland back in May when a 22 year-old woman ("believed unimmunised") became infected with diphtheria via a friend who was carrying the bacteria on a return trip from overseas. She passed away. The friend did not suffer serious illness.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-national/diphtheria-death-in-brisbane-shocks-ama-20110503-1e64k.html

So, government officials and the media used it as an example of how everyone should have their shots up to date, but it's also an example of how vaccinated individuals can carry the bacteria asymptomatically or with mild symptoms and then pass it along to others. There's not much herd immunity there in that sense, but then the product information about the diphtheria component states this outright...that the diphtheria vaccine does not and will not prevent carriage of the bacteria--it will only provide protection against clinical infection. The pertussis vaccine likewise does not prevent colonization nor transmission of the bacteria.

To the OP: Many people will always believe that 1) all vaccines prevent transmission and provide herd immunity and 2) unvaccinated kids are thus disease magnets and a threat to public health when neither of these is true. But there's usually not a lot that can be said against anyone who doesn't want to believe otherwise, so it's not worth arguing about IMO.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#11 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To the OP: Many people will always believe that 1) all vaccines prevent transmission and provide herd immunity and 2) unvaccinated kids are thus disease magnets and a threat to public health when neither of these is true. But there's usually not a lot that can be said against anyone who doesn't want to believe otherwise, so it's not worth arguing about IMO.

Understood. I just wanted to know that I'm right. thumb.gif

hippie.gif

~ Robyn

#12 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM

This makes me worried. My husband had vax from everything under the sun from the Army and he already never gets sick so I worry that he could be a carrier to just about ANYTHING and bring it home to our kids. Luckily, nothing's happened. But, I say as a non-vax parent, I am more hesitant to let my kids play with vax kids than some vaxers are about letting their kids play with mine. Hubby and I both had chicken pox when we were little. I had it at 4 and he had it as a baby. We lived and are doing fine. My mom had rubella as a teen and thanks to her breastfeeding me I am immune to it without even ever having it which I think is the coolest thing ever! But all those mama's looking at our kids like they're staring at the outbreak monkey make me want to grab a mirror from my purse.

I actually woke up afraid of the new baby getting some bizarre illness from all the people around here. It's like they bathe in triclosan and poop vaccines by the way they act sometimes. ROFL
#13 of 21 Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM

hello, ladies

I completely agree with all you mammas, and my question to u moms is how hard is it to put your unvaccinated children in school?

I myself made the choice to not give my son vaccines hes only two now but ive already been fired by a few pediatricians,and can only imagine my battle will be harder as he goes into school. 

#14 of 21 Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annasanti View Post

hello, ladies

I completely agree with all you mammas, and my question to u moms is how hard is it to put your unvaccinated children in school?

I myself made the choice to not give my son vaccines hes only two now but ive already been fired by a few pediatricians,and can only imagine my battle will be harder as he goes into school. 

The NVIC has an vaccine map.

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

If you live in a state that has philosophical exemptions, it should be fairly easy.  

Religious is a little trickier and you may have to be careful about wording - some of this varies by state.  Sometimes it is easier to be completely non-vax than sel/delayed.  

If you do not live in the USA, we have mothers here from around the globe who may be able to tell you their experience.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#15 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Yea I believe there's a form stating the law in your state that u print sign a hand in to the school. At least in my state thats how it worked.

I also wanted to share a Christmas tale of how my unvaxed kids are essentially like a walking disease bomb. My SIL had a baby on Nov 30, which my kids are not allowed to meet until he gets his 2 mon vax. Well my MIL calls us last night and invites our family over for Christmas breakfast and opening presents, then informs us the baby will be there but it'll be ok, they'll keep him in the bedroom. (A friend of mine saw BIL at walmart with the baby on Fri night) so DH says, no we won't come over if ur going treat us like disease infested rodents, especially when your taking the baby in walmart. To which MIL says F you! Kiss your mothers @$$! And hung up on him!
Really?!?

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#16 of 21 Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

Yea I believe there's a form stating the law in your state that u print sign a hand in to the school. At least in my state thats how it worked.

I also wanted to share a Christmas tale of how my unvaxed kids are essentially like a walking disease bomb. My SIL had a baby on Nov 30, which my kids are not allowed to meet until he gets his 2 mon vax. Well my MIL calls us last night and invites our family over for Christmas breakfast and opening presents, then informs us the baby will be there but it'll be ok, they'll keep him in the bedroom. (A friend of mine saw BIL at walmart with the baby on Fri night) so DH says, no we won't come over if ur going treat us like disease infested rodents, especially when your taking the baby in walmart. To which MIL says F you! Kiss your mothers @$$! And hung up on him!
Really?!?

sounds like you were better off NOT going!

applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Yea I know right! I'm seriously considering printing some information to give her. I'm *So* sick and tired of them acting like we have the plague and can readily pass it on without warning! I wish now that I had kept my mouth shut about the choices we make in regards to our family's health! Lesson learned here...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#18 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Thank you ladies for the info. im currently in the state of Washington but plan to relocate to Oakley California within the next few months.

#19 of 21 Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annasanti View Post

Thank you ladies for the info. im currently in the state of Washington but plan to relocate to Oakley California within the next few months.

This is the vaccine exemption form for California.

http://eziz.org/assets/docs/CDPH-8262.pdf

applejuice likes this.
#20 of 21 Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post
 then informs us the baby will be there but it'll be ok, they'll keep him in the bedroom.

LOL ok first off I'm wearing an old pair of glasses and thought that said bathroom...I was all "whhhaaaattt? they're gonna treat the baby like a dog?!".  ::sigh:: thank god DD has eagle eyes like her daddy! So even without the walmart crap - they seriously thought putting the baby in a separate room would ward off the potential plagues you must have been carrying, as if germs miraculously would not spread in the air or by contact? Wow.  Now I see why you needed the links, talk about clueless

applejuice likes this.
#21 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM

We live in NC and it has not been tough for DS that is 7 1/2 years (now in 2nd grade). Not one question thus far. DS that is 2 1/2 years old goes to preschool at a church and they have not been an issue either. I was really concerned when I first started DS1 in school that we would be hammered by school nurses or asked to say home during outbreaks but so far...no different treatment that I can tell!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page