"Forced to get Influenza vax - as health care worker" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So here's the deal - I am a L&D RN & IBCLC at a local Level III hospital - A new policy has been put into place - they want 100% of employees vaccinated for Influenza.  I have always refused - signed a declination form - sighting "personal exemption."  Now - the new policy - states if an employee refuses or is medically unable to receive the vax - they will be required to wear a surgical mask at all times while in patient care areas.  If they are not vax'd & do not wear a mask - they will be formally disciplined. 

Seriously - I have to wear a mask at all times?  I work full-time.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  I am, now, the sole bread winner in my family & provide insurance for all of us.  I can not quit.  And flu season - can be from October until April! 

I have to vent!!  I am a health care professional - who is trusted to care for patients - make assessments and interventions - along with referrals as needed.  But yet - I am not able to follow good hand washing, sneeze & cough etiquette, and determine if I need to stay home ill?  Ridiculous!!!

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)
#2 of 14 Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Of course, the employees who get the live virus FluMist, who will shed live virus for 17 days following vaccination, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123743.pdf (page 17-18) won't be required to wear a mask during their contagious period.

Yes, it is completely ridiculous. But I'm sorry to say, you should feel lucky that they are giving you the option of wearing a mask. Many hospitals are not even giving that option, and just firing people who don't get the vaccine.

This is really getting ridiculous, and I hope people rise up, perhaps through unions, or I hope a law is passed protecting workers, although that seems less likely.

geekgolightly and BeckyBird like this.
#3 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 AM

Welcome to my world.

I wore a mask all last year from November to March. When our hospital started the shot or mask program our flu shot rates went from 50% to 99%. Well I figure if the folks in OR and Endo can wear masks all the time so can I.

BeckyBird likes this.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#4 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

And I am sure that the only vaccine they offer is the multi-dose vials - great- at least we know we are creating a secure future for healthcare workers - can you imagine the amount of mercury that a healthcare worker has over a career?  Oh - and don't get me started on mandating the Tdap vaccine!

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)
#5 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Actually my place had single dose syringe doses. If the multidose was all that was offered, you could go to your private DR or a clinic somewhere and get the single dose variety and pay for it yourself. (And wouldn't it bite to have to pay for the crap you don't want anyways!!!)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#6 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM

I hear you.  I am a RN as well, primary insurance holder for my family.  I am newly pregnant with a high risk pregnancy and they won't let me out of the flu shot.  Denied my religious exemption and it's too late to submit medical.  Effective 12/31/11 I will be terminated since I will not get it.  My head and heart hurt.  This sucks!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#7 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the2amigos View Post
Denied my religious exemption and it's too late to submit medical. 

Why is it too late to submit medical? Is it because you've already tried for religious and they'll suspect something? Well, new medical conditions can occur at any time. If you can find a doctor to sign a medical exemption, I think they would have to accept it.

#8 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM

At least you got the option of a mask. We were told this year we had to get the shot or get fired. Medical exemptions would be taken and examined on a case by case basis. I too am the sole providing parent in our house right now and I carry our insurance. DH lost his job due to his company being sold so he is finishing his degree full time for the next two years.

I got my flu shot this morning. Today was the last day to get it before being sent to HR for termination. I am 19 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I started semi crying while I waited for her to give it. She kept looking back at me saying "You don't have to do this." I told her that I needed my job so yes I did 'have' to do this. She nodded and gave me the shot. All I can think is to pray that my baby is okay....that once we hit pre-school age he/she is a normal, healthy child.

I got the mercury free/antibiotic free version, but they are still made with aluminum and other crap that 19week developing brains don't need.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#9 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post

I got the mercury free/antibiotic free version, but they are still made with aluminum and other crap that 19week developing brains don't need.

I'm so sorry you were forced into getting the shot.

If it makes you feel any better, flu shots don't contain aluminum. 

Which brand did you get?

#10 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I'm so sorry you were forced into getting the shot.

If it makes you feel any better, flu shots don't contain aluminum. 

Which brand did you get?

That does make me feel a little better. They gave me the Fluzone pre-filled syringe. The employee health nurse showed me the syringe so I could see it was the 'preservative free' version.

#11 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:

They gave me the Fluzone pre-filled syringe. The employee health nurse showed me the syringe so I could see it was the 'preservative free' version.

Here is the package insert for the Fluzone vaccines.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM195479.pdf

I'm glad you got the Fluzone pre-filled syringe instead of the Fluvirin pre-filled syringe. Both are labelled "preservative free," but the Fluvirin pre-filled syringe contains 1 mcg mercury, which is not enough to act as a preservative, so that's how they get away with saying that on the label.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123694.pdf

#12 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Here is the package insert for the Fluzone vaccines.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM195479.pdf

I'm glad you got the Fluzone pre-filled syringe instead of the Fluvirin pre-filled syringe. Both are labelled "preservative free," but the Fluvirin pre-filled syringe contains 1 mcg mercury, which is not enough to act as a preservative, so that's how they get away with saying that on the label.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123694.pdf

Thanks for the information. So, it looks like it only contains a couple of crappy items in addition to the viruses. I am going to have to get this every year as long as I want to work as an RN. It says to use it cautiously in nursing mothers since it may be excreted in milk. Wouldn't you know I nurse until well past 2 years old so I am looking at a minimum of 2 nursing years of getting the shot. Great.

#13 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

So, it looks like it only contains a couple of crappy items in addition to the viruses.

Yes, it looks like the Fluzone pre-filled syringes and single dose vials might be the "cleanest" flu shots available. But beware of the multi-dose Fluzone vials, which contain 25 mcg mercury per dose. Also make sure they don't give you the High-Dose shot which is meant for people over 65.

Other brands contain various antibiotics, etc. that are obviously unnecessary since Fluzone doesn't have them.

#14 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM

First, I am sorry I have seemed to hijack this thread! LOL!

Quote:

Yes, it looks like the Fluzone pre-filled syringes and single dose vials might be the "cleanest" flu shots available. But beware of the multi-dose Fluzone vials, which contain 25 mcg mercury per dose. Also make sure they don't give you the High-Dose shot which is meant for people over 65.

Other brands contain various antibiotics, etc. that are obviously unnecessary since Fluzone doesn't have them.

Oh, I made sure! They actually give the multi-dose vial to the rest of the employees!! You have to specifically ask for the pre-filled...those are the ones they give to the patients. I guess if I have the choice between this one and unemployment I will just take the stupid shot.

As an aside....you can also get the fluzone pre-filled at Walgreens pharmacy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page