Links on dangers of hep b vax for newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sister is due in December, and while I haven't convinced her that all vaccines are the devil, and I'm not pushing it, I AM trying to convince her to skip the hep b one.  I need some good information on the dangers that doesn't come from someone like Dr. Tenpenny.  No offense to her, but I'd rather go with something more mainstream, like the CDC.  I know stuff is there, but I'm not quite sure how to put it together.

If anyone has something ready-made, could you post it here?  I started searching through archives and got overwhelmed...

#2 of 8 Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Have you looked at the vaccine schedules for other places?  I know that the schedule for my area Alberta Canada doesn't have the Hep B for newborns, they don't do it til grade 5.  I believe several other provinces are the same as well as some European countries.  Hep B is mostly passed through sexual contact and intravenous drug use.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I would think the simple fact that Hepatitis B is only spread through contact with bodily fluids with an infected person, such as sexual intercourse or IV drug use, would show that the Hepatitis B vaccine wouldn't be needed before there is any chance that those things would happen. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001324/

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#4 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM

This is from France, where Hep B vaccination of children was discontinued

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17276994
Public concern about possible increases in the risk of multiple sclerosis associated with hepatitis B vaccination has led to low vaccination coverage. We investigated whether this vaccination after a first episode of acute CNS inflammatory demyelination in childhood increased the risk of conversion to multiple sclerosis. We studied the French Kid Sclérose en Plaques (KIDSEP) neuropaediatric cohort of patients enrolled between 1994 and 2003 from their first episode of acute CNS inflammatory demyelination (inclusion in the cohort) until the occurrence of a second episode, up to 2005. A Cox proportional hazards model of time-dependent vaccine exposure was used to evaluate the effect of vaccination (hepatitis B, tetanus) during follow-up on the risk of second episode occurrence (conversion to multiple sclerosis). The cohort included 356 subjects with a mean follow-up of 5.8 years (SD 2.7). Relapse occurred in 146 (41%) subjects during follow-up; 33 subjects were exposed to hepatitis B vaccine and 28 to tetanus vaccine at some time during follow-up. The adjusted hazard ratio (HR) for relapse occurring within 3 years of hepatitis B vaccination was 0.78 (0.32-1.89) and during any time period was 1.09 (0.53-2.24). The adjusted HR for relapse occurring within 3 years of tetanus vaccination was 0.99 (0.58-1.67) and during any time period was 1.08 (0.63-1.83). We conclude that vaccination against hepatitis B or tetanus after a first episode of CNS inflammatory demyelination in childhood does not appear to increase the risk of conversion to multiple sclerosis, although the possibility of a small increase in risk cannot be excluded.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM

I am not positive about it ~ but I think I remember a thread where it was discussed that the only reason the Hep B vaccine was mandate to be given shortly after birth was for economic reasons so that third world countries could afford the vaccines (in that the vaccine companies could afford to make the vaccine). That might not make complete sense right now...sooooo tired tonight...but the point being that the vaccine is not given for health reasons...it is given for financial reasons.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#6 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM

Newborns really aren't at risk for Hep B unless the mom or other person living in the household is Hep B positive.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/Statistics/2008Surveillance/Commentary.htm

Age group: These data indicates acute, symptomatic hepatitis B rates differ by age; the highest rates were observed among persons aged 15-44 years; the lowest rates were among persons aged < 15 years. In 2008, rates were highest for persons aged 25-44 years (2.6 cases per 100,000 population); the lowest rates were among children < 15 years (0.02 cases per 100,000 population) (Slide 3b).

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5416.pdf
For infants and children, the two primary sources of HBVinfection are perinatal transmission from infected mothers and horizontal transmission from infected household contacts.
Adolescents are at risk for HBV infection primarily through high-risk sexual activity (i.e., sex with more than one partnerand male sexual activity with other males) and injection-druguse (21).

Transmission of HBV via transfusion of blood andplasma-derived products is rare because of donor screeningfor HBsAg and viral inactivation procedures.

Quote:
but I think I remember a thread where it was discussed that the only reason the Hep B vaccine was mandate to be given shortly after birth was for economic reasons so that third world countries could afford the vaccines

I think it is because it is easier to vaccinate a baby not at risk for hep B than the adolescent/adults who are at risk for it ( IV drug user, homosexual men,promiscuous heterosexuals ect)

http://thinktwice.com/hepb.htm

The Hepatitis B vaccine was effectively mandated in 1991 for universal immunization of newborn babies by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) -- an adjunct of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Paradoxically, the CDC's own Fact Sheet on the Hepatitis B disease does not include newborn babies as a risk group for that disease. That Fact Sheet lists the risk groups as injection drug users, homosexual men, sexually active heterosexuals, infants/children of immigrants from disease-endemic areas, low socio-economic level, sexual/household contacts of infected persons, infants born to infected mothers, health care workers and hemodialysis patients NOT NEWBORN BABIES.

Question: Why then, did the ACIP establish a policy mandating that newborn babies not at risk of the disease be automatically administered the 3-shot Hepatitis B vaccine as their first involuntary indoctrination into the pediatric care of America?

Answer: Here is that rationale from the original ACIP 1991 statement establishing the official vaccination policy "Hepatitis B Virus: A Comprehensive Strategy for Eliminating Transmission in the United States Through Universal Childhood Vaccination ..." "In the United States, most infections occur among adults and adolescents ... The recommended strategy for preventing these infections has been the selective vaccination of persons with identified risk factors ... However, this strategy has not lowered the incidence of Hepatitis B, primarily because vaccinating persons engaged in high-risk behaviors, life-styles, or occupations before they become infected generally has not been feasible ... Efforts to vaccinate persons in the major risk groups have had limited success. For example, programs directed at injecting drug users failed to motivate them to receive three doses of vaccine ... In the United States it has become evident that HBV transmission cannot be prevented through vaccinating only the groups at high risk of infection ... In the long term, universal infant vaccination would eliminate the need for vaccinating adolescents and high-risk adults ... Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended for all infants, regardless of the HBsAg status of the mother ... The first dose can be administered during the newborn period, preferably before the infant is discharged from the hospital, but no later than when the infant is 2 months of age ..." (emphasis added).

So in the CDC and ACIP's own words, almost every newborn U.S. baby is now greeted on its entry into the world by a vaccine injection against a sexually transmitted disease for which the baby is not at risk -- because they couldn't get the junkies, prostitutes, homosexuals and promiscuous heterosexuals to take the vaccine. That is the essence of the Hepatitis B universal vaccination program.

Question: What are the risks and benefits for administering this vaccine to infants?

Answer: Hepatitis B is a rare, mainly blood-transmitted disease. In 1996, only 54 cases of the disease were reported to the CDC in the 0-1 age group. There were 3.9 million births that year, so the observed incidence of hepatitis B in the 0-1 age group was just 0.001%. In the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), there were 1,080 total reports of adverse reactions from Hepatitis B vaccine in 1996 in the 0-1 age group, with 47 deaths reported. Total VAERS Hepatitis B reports for the 0-1 age group outnumber reported cases of the disease 20 to 1.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#7 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much!  I linked her the congressional interview thing, and it convinced both her and her husband. :)

#8 of 8 Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page