Cannot decide: HELP! Baby will be travelling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!! It has been weeks I cannot sleep trying to decide whether to vaccinate or not.

My baby is almost 4 months old, she was born at 35 weeks and has not received any vaccines. I am breastfeeding.

My pediatrician is recommending the DTap-HIB-polio  (Pediacel) and Pneumococcal 13-valent Conjugate Vaccine (Prevnar 13).

I am really worried about the side effects and leaning towards not vaccinating but what worries me is that we will be travelling to the Dominican Republic in February. (My husband is from there). They recommend the Hep A and B for travelling there but I have decided not to do those.

Do the risks of vaccinating really outweigh the risks of not? How do I know? And if yes, does it change due to traveling to a developing country?

What do I do? and how can I feel good about my decision. I have researched and watched documentaries but there is information to support both sides.

#2 of 15 Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM

That's tough. I'd be stressed too! I don't vax, and I traveled to Europe with my 7 month old. I know it's not a developing country, but I stressed a bit. It was my first child too, so I was more paranoid. Personally, I am against vaxing, so if I felt unsafe taking my unvaxed child to a developing country, I'd stay home before I'd give the vaccines. At least until the child is older. We went to Mexico when my kids were 10 months old and 2.5. My kids are now 3 and 5, and I'd have no problem going to the Dominical Republic for a holiday. 

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#3 of 15 Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM

I do not vax...made the decision with DS1 5 years ago so maybe I have had a little more time to find my comfortable place ~ but I would not vax (even with the travel). DS2 was born at 36 weeks and hasn't had one vax...and I intend to keep it that way. He is just way too young and I firmly believe that the potential risks of vaxing far outweigh any potential benefits from vaxing. For me ~ I am not comfortable with the lack of safety studies done nor am I am comfortable with the lack of studies done to monitor how vaxing potentially harms our immune systems.

I do understand being nervous though ~ swimming against the current is really tough to do and sometimes the fears out there get the best of us! If your gut is telling you it is not right to do...listen to your gut!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#4 of 15 Old 10-22-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replies.

What made you so sure not to vaccinate? Sometimes I think my gut is telling me not to vax and then I feel the fear and pressure and I'm not sure what to do.

My husband thinks we should.

My pediatrician is really worried about meningitis, she says one of her un-vaccinated patient's died less than 6 months old. Also, I consulted with a naturopathic doctor who is worried about exposure to the live polio vaccine, which is administered in the dominican republic.

#5 of 15 Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM

Y

#6 of 15 Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't vax, and I'm going to central Africa in January with my then 12 and 36 month olds. I had to revisit the vaccine issues in light of travel too, and even though I was willing to be swayed, I really just found that all the same theories and numbers and potential side effects are pretty much the same whether you are in North America or abroad. I mean, if you're going to be drinking untreated water and not have access to handwashing facilities, and your child is going to be sharing bodily fluids with "at risk" kids, and your nutritional status is going to take a nosedive, and you're hours and hours and hours away from safe medical help, then yes, maybe the arguments for vaccinating are a little stronger, but in a normal travel situation? Very little changes. For me, anyway. 

I know gut feelings and anxiety levels aren't reliable methods of decision making, but I did find that my anxiety levels were a LOT higher when I thought about giving the vaccines than they were when I thought about the potential increased risk of vpds while we are away. 

BeckyBird likes this.

For greater things are yet to come...

#7 of 15 Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

selkat thank you so much for your response! What resources did you use, if any, to make your decision not to vaccinate?

#8 of 15 Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiaf View Post

Thank you so much for your replies.

What made you so sure not to vaccinate? Sometimes I think my gut is telling me not to vax and then I feel the fear and pressure and I'm not sure what to do.

My husband thinks we should.

My pediatrician is really worried about meningitis, she says one of her un-vaccinated patient's died less than 6 months old. Also, I consulted with a naturopathic doctor who is worried about exposure to the live polio vaccine, which is administered in the dominican republic.

When I made my decision to stop vaxing 5 1/2 years ago ~ I started out by feeling "not right" about vaxing and so I started reading about the VPDs. As I started to investigate each one and read about the incidence of them, treatment for them and the survival rate now ~ I became more comfortable. I combined my knowledge of each VPD alongside knowing that the safety records for vaccines have never been investigated beyond a few months (at best)...so what happens years down the road when vaxed? Does it cause major issues to arise otherwise? If we do not investigate and follow ~ how will we ever know that they are truly safe (or not, in my opinion). At any rate ~ I think you have to do lots of research in order to feel comfortable with the decisions you make which is why I tell each new parent I know to research until their eyes bleed the vaccine issue so they know where they are most comfortable...because my opinion and my research is not necessarily going to do it for them.

BeckyBird likes this.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#9 of 15 Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

HI!

Wow, pulling out the old, dead baby card.... nice. I have known babies that died FROM the vaccines, what about that?

I think you need to do more research to feel better. My sister lives in Indonesia for heavens sake and doesn't vaccinate. Never been a problem as they know about

basic sanitation and keep kids immune systems working like they should. Dominican Republic wouldn't scare me....but you need to study more to feel that way yourself.

Have you ever read the studies in here? Good reading but go read the studies she is talking about ...interesting stuff.

http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/_blog/Hilary%27s_Desk/post/Vaccines_and_neonatal_immune_development/

http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/_blog/Hilary%27s_Desk/post/How_a_baby_fights_infection_and_develops_the_immune_system/

http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/_blog/Hilary%27s_Desk/post/Can_vaccines_become_cranial_and_immunological_cluster_bombs/

Another question. Why has there NEVER been a study done against Vaccinated to un-Vaccinated? All we really know is how safe a vaccine is

from one vaccination compared to another. No other place in all of science would that fly.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#10 of 15 Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

So I had my baby's doctor/vaccination appointment scheduled yesterday, I cried the whole way there and then decided not to do anything once I got there. I felt a little relieved but I'm still not convinced I made the right decision. Where can I find the studies/science to support my decision?

#11 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM

For me, reading the CDC pink book is what made me feel confident in my decision not to vax.  I had already done a lot of research and was leaning toward not vaxing, but didn't feel totally comfortable until I went to that site. . Obviously, it is very pro-vax but for me it completely solidified my decision.  It lists every vaccination, every ingredient, efficacy, side effects, etc.  After reading that and all the previous research, I decided that for our family, the risk of vaccine injury was greater than the risk of VPD injury.  I know it is stressful, we all want what is best for our families!  Best of luck to you, with whatever you decide to do.

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#12 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Jules33, thanks for your response. Did you order the CDC pink book, or is all the information on the site? What made you feel confident not to vax?

I am also wondering if the families who decided not to vax do any travelling and how they feel when they are recommended vaccines such as Hep A or B?

#13 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Hi Jules33, thanks for your response. Did you order the CDC pink book, or is all the information on the site? What made you feel confident not to vax?

I am also wondering if the families who decided not to vax do any travelling and how they feel when they are recommended vaccines such as Hep A or B?

All the pinkbook info is avalibale online

We don't vax and have been out of the country a few times. My son is 3.5. We actually went to the DR last year. There is no way Id get the Hep A or B vaccine to travel. Hep A is a very mild illness in children and honestly if you are careful about what and where you will be eating, I wouldn't be that concerned. Hep B wouldn't even cross my mind since it is only spread via blood, semen or vaginal fluid. Is your 4 month old going to be eating off vending carts or playing  with the feces of someone possibly infected? or having sex or sharing needles? I think not. I wouldn't even think twice honestly.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I wouldn't even think twice honestly.

Same here. My kids are not vaccinated at all, and I wouldn't even consider vaccinating for hepatitis A and B for travel. I actually hope my kids get hepatitis A while they're young, if they haven't already.

Here is the CDC's Pink Book. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/index.html

#15 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Research these VPDs and it will relieve your fears. Honestly Hep A and B are some of the least of my concerns when it comes to vaxing my children. Hep A is a no-brainer because it is relatively mild and not an issue in children...and Hep B...well the PP have stated clearly your kid is not in the danger zone when it comes to contracting this VPD unless it is sharing some pretty serious behaviors at an early age. Either in this link or another one in this forum someone stated that it was given at such a young age because compliance with vaccination at the ages when it would be a risk would be tougher...so let's just give it to every baby born instead! thumb.gif

We have traveled all over the states with our kids...not out of the country yet but to several different states and aboard planes, etc. (US) ~ and truly VPDs rarely cross my mind anymore because I am so secure in our decision to not vax.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page