The Greater Good - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the opportunity to hear about the film, The Greater Good, as it developed. Director/Producer, Chris Pilaro, an award winning filmmaker, is a member of our Mothering community. I met him at the National Vaccine Information Center Conference in 2009 where he was filming interviews for the movie.  

Chris emailed me today to remind me that the A Greater Good is streaming live now on mercola.com until November 5th. It's a really great film. It is honest and complex in its presentation and does the best job of any film I've seen on the subject of vaccinations. Set aside some time to watch in the next few days, if you can. You've won't be disappointed.

I'm talking to Chris about streaming A Greater Good on Mothering in the next month or so but there may be a charge so take advantage of this free streaming while you can. 

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM

thanks! I just finished watching it. Well worth it.......I also told my sister about it, & my mom will be here tomorrow & she can watch it too

thanks again

#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, you're welcome. I'm glad you liked it!

#4 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Yes, thank you!
I just finished watching it. I hope I can get some mama friends to take the time to watch it too.

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#5 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

It would be a great film to watch with friends and so much to talk about afterwards. I would like to have a film showing with it at our local family center and have a conversation afterwards.

Deepfeet likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM

An amazing movie! thank you for  sharing :)

I wish all parents or soon to be ones could see it before they go into the doctor's office and blindly follow what they say. This a good movie to show parents they have options!

mommy and daddy and DS 5/19/10 baby #2 coming Oct 2ish 2012 (planning a home water birth) familybed1.gif  chartnew.gif asl.gif novaxnocirc.gif waterbirth.jpg cd.gifwinner.jpg goorganic.jpg

#7 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Ok, am I the only one who just wanted to choke that one doctor? Gardasil is a "beautiful" vaccine? Wow.

I love the movie and will support it, but I have to admit that I cringe when I listen to what the pro-vax side has to say ;) Very hard to take them seriously when their livelihood depends on Pharma and vaccines.

Pardon my little rant :)

BeckyBird likes this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#8 of 13 Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 AM

This was a great documentary! I appreciated it because I have many friends and family who are pro vax and would never take the time to listen to a staunchly anti vax documentary. While I think the choice is obvious I was glad they presented both sides for that reason.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#9 of 13 Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I do think the film did a good job of presenting both sides with an obvious bias for the families, which I like. Their stories are so seldom presented in a legitimate way. It's heartening for me to see that vaccine films have gotten much more balanced over time, but like you, I cringe when I hear the black and white statements. Why should it be so hard to just talk about informed consent rather than make vaccines into a dogma?

#10 of 13 Old 11-07-2011, 03:46 PM

This has been extended until Nov. 8 so there is still time to watch it. :)

#11 of 13 Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I enjoyed the film very much, too.

I read a scathing review of the film today on Science Based Medicine and was equally frustrated by his predictable complaints as he was of the film itself.

I hate the narrowness that anyone wanting to improve the vaccine schedule or promote vaccine choice is anti-vax. This rhetoric is so foolish. Am I anti-abortion just because I haven't had one? Of course not. I can refuse vaccines for my family, too, without being "anti-vaccine". I am not even sure what that really means. I love the "idea" of vaccines in theory, but their safety and efficacy are simply not enough for me to follow the APA guidelines.

BeckyBird likes this.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#12 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I agree. There are two points of view. The personal one, what's best for your family, informed consent. And, the public health one, which brooks little conscientious objection. I think that intolerance of parents' legitimate concerns has done a lot to hurt the vaccine program.

#13 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just heard today that there's going to be a premier of The Greater Good in New York City on November 18th. It will be showing through November 24th.  plus there will be discussion afterwards.

Tickets are $13

Group tickets are $10 each. Call Chris Wells at 211-924-6789 to arrange group purchase.

Here's the Facebook Invitation.

New York City: Nov 18-24 at IFC Center 

Showtimes are 4:10pm and 8:05pm Tickets can be purchased on the IFC site. 

323 Sixth Avenue at West Third Street | 212-924-7771
Map and directions

Friday, November 18

4:10pm Matinee: National Vaccine Information Center

8:05pm Evening: React to Film & National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC)

Q & A Speakers: Writer / Producer Leslie Manookian, Leslie Barbara Loe Fisher, President, NVIC; Lawrence B. Palevsky, MD.

Saturday, November 19

4:10pm Matinee & 8:05pm screening: Center for Personal Rights and the editors of Vaccine Epidemic

Q & A Speakers: Writer / Producer Leslie Manookian, Louise Kuo Habakus,  HHP, AADP, Center for Personal Rights; Mary Holland, Director, Graduate Legal Skills Program Research Scholar. New York University After the film, there will be a short panel discussion and book signing by the authors.

Sunday, November 20th

4:10pm Matinee: Co-Sponsors: Holistic Moms Network, Dr. Jerry Clements; Choices in Child Birth

8:05pm Evening: Co-Sponsors: Holistic Moms Network, Dr. Jerry Clements; Choices in Child Birth

Speakers: Writer / Producer Leslie Manookian, Dr. Jerry Clements, M.D. & Nancy Massotto, Executive Director Holistic Moms Network

Monday, November 21st

4:10pm Matinee: Shari Criso of My Baby Experts TV will interview Lawrence B. Palevsky, MD. This will be live streaming, and questions will be taken from from an online audience in addition to the theater audience.

8:05pm

Tuesday, November 22nd

4:10pm 

Wednesday, November 23rd

4:10pm Matinee

8:05pm: Sponsor and Speaker: Lawrence B. Palevsky, MD.

Thursday, November 24th

4:10 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page