Pretty sure we have chicken pox...and 8 days out from a trip to Disney World - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6yo dd woke up with spots/bumps all over her torso, stomach and back.  I'm pretty sure it's chicken pox. 

We have a Christmas trip to Disney World planned and we are set to leave in 8 days.  I have 3 other kids and even if dd has a mild case and/or if everyone is well then, and we go on our trip, what will I do if another child comes down with it on route or while we are at Disney World? I don't know what to do. Sigh...

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Any idea where she caught it? Were they all exposed at once? If your kids would be catching it from DD I think it's 14-21 days before they "get" it so I guess it would depend on how long your trip is.

It's funny, CP used to be no big deal. I don't think everyone quarantined their kids or anything but now I can see people freaking out about spotted kids in public.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

Any idea where she caught it? Were they all exposed at once? If your kids would be catching it from DD I think it's 14-21 days before they "get" it so I guess it would depend on how long your trip is.

It's funny, CP used to be no big deal. I don't think everyone quarantined their kids or anything but now I can see people freaking out about spotted kids in public.

I have no idea where they caught it.  I posted to our homeschool co-op to see if anyone there has come down with it.  The weird thing is that everyone has been sick here for a couple of weeks, so we have barely left the house.  Fevers, earaches, sniffles, stuffy/runny noses and stomachaches for 2 weeks now.  I was actually a little glad to be getting all the sickies out of our system so we would be well for the trip. :(

We leave in 8 days and our trip is 11 days long.  Just perfect to be smacked with more CP right in the middle of it.

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

They could have caught it anywhere, out in public....you don't know who is shedding the vax and contagious. 

Is there anyway to postpone your trip til everyone is healthy? Would kinda suck to have your vacation cut short or ruined due to CP...and if they did come down with it on vacation, can't help but wonder if  the hotel would end up putting out a sign indicating a case of chicken pox was reported there,  not to mention the media hearing about it.  Good luck figuring it out.  Btw, anyone in your home school coop vaxed recently for CP? 

Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You'll know soon enough if it is indeed CP. It may not be. Lots of viral rashes present with bumps. IF it is CP, as long as your DD's spots have crusted up, you would be ok to go. If they haven't or if another one of your children seems to come down with it, personally I would postpose the trip. I think all parents (whether their kids are vaxed or not) have a responsibility to not knowingly spread illness and CP is an infectious disease. I assume you will be on a plane. It really would be very wrong IMO to take a child you knew to be contagious with CP on an airplane. Hopefully it is not CP - I would think that would be something you'd know for sure within the next few days.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

It is chicken pox and of course I wouldn't take an infected contagious child on a plane or anywhere else.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Oh that sucks. Is there any way to postpone your trip?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM

deleted

Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You seem a bit defensive. No need to be. I was just responding to the way your post was worded. You said you were "pretty sure" it was CP, but there seemed to be some doubt there so that is what I was responding to that maybe it wasn't and a few days would give you a more concrete answer. Also the way it was worded it sounded like (to me)  even if she had a mild case and you went on the trip and the others got sick while there or en route-  that you may go on the trip anyway. If you have 3 other children that will have been exposed - they can be contagious prior to the pox erupting. My aplogies if this is not what you meant. In any case I hope your DD mends well and you dont have to concel your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post

It is chicken pox and of course I wouldn't take an infected contagious child on a plane or anywhere else.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List