VAX THE CHILDREN OR BE DENIED STATE AID???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This was in another forum.. a mother was told in Ca she HAD to vax her child or she would be denied state aid...i have also heard simliar stories from other moms in KS, TX and OH as well..how can that be legal to mandate a certain class of people must shoot themselves/their children up with toxins to qualify for state assistance?   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I hope this is not true!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I hope this is not true!

she did find out there is a religious exemption (in Ca) to this absurd requirement. 

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Well, that is good news. At least she can still make medical decisions for her family. We should all be grateful for this liberty.

The problem I have with exemptions is this--the system allows exemptions, for now. But things change, and someday soon, the exemption policy may end. What will happen then?

If there is a policy with a loophole, what happens when they remove the loophole?

I disagree with the fact that we even need exemptions in the first place.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's true.  I actually got my son's two month shots today because the county will stop my aid if I don't show proof of vaccination.  I only need aid for a couple more months until I can get my paychecks coming in again but there's a time crunch here and I need to keep a roof over my son's head. Poor guy is miserable, the injection sites are hot and tender.  I really wish I would have known there was a religious exemption, I'll claim anything to save him from harm :(

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's true.  I actually got my son's two month shots today because the county will stop my aid if I don't show proof of vaccination.  I only need aid for a couple more months until I can get my paychecks coming in again but there's a time crunch here and I need to keep a roof over my son's head. Poor guy is miserable, the injection sites are hot and tender.  I really wish I would have known there was a religious exemption, I'll claim anything to save him from harm :(

there IS religious exemption, (unless you are in WV or Mississippi )and i urge you to check the laws regarding this.  And you can still claim religious exemption as well...simply say you were not aware of the ingredients which are against your beliefs, and then get that exemption, pronto.  

What state are you in?  Many workers are not aware of laws regarding vaxing and are simply repeating what they have been told to say to people.   And a great many of them are extremely ignorant on the subject as well.  

Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829 that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual may/professes to belong to may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religionas well as in United States v. Seeger 380 U.S. 163 (1965), and other cases. Proof of which can be found in Title VII which points to United States v. Seeger and Walsh v. United States 398, U.S. 333 1970Title VII also states “define religious practices to include moral or ethical beliefs as to what is right and wrong which are sincerely held with the strength of traditional religious views” as well as states that this ruling has been upheld time and again. Thus, while a person may not feel that my religious views are such, the sited source deems them so, as do I. United States V. Seeger states that a person's religious beliefs or views may not be questioned, the person shall not be required to show proof (page 80 U.S. 164 ), nor do they have to be comprehensible (380 U.S. 184-185). These rulings were upheld in Walsh v. United States.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM

I'm in California-- Los Angeles County.  I'm transferring over to Riverside county but these workers wont give me the time of day.  I'm a first time mom and I guess I'm still a little coy because I know I don't know what I'm doing and everyone is telling me "DO THIS, DO THIS, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS..."  I feel so terrible for taking him today just so they can have their stupid little yellow imunization card on file.  He's sore and temperamental, I feel so guilty.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post
I feel so terrible for taking him today just so they can have their stupid little yellow imunization card on file.  He's sore and temperamental, I feel so guilty.

At least you know you can stop vaccinating immediately. Too bad you didn't know before today's vaccines, but you still found out a lot earlier than most parents. And when it's time for school or daycare, just sign the back of this form. http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf The form is double sided on light blue paper. You can print it out yourself, double sided, on light blue paper, and it will look just the same.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM

As far as I know, in Ohio this isn't true. I personally haven't had a problem. As long as you give them an exemption form, all your bases are covered. All we get is food stamps and medical though so maybe its different for cash assistance?

Mom to 2 girls and a boy,jumpers.gif saynovax.gif adoptionheart-1.gif I am adopted!!cd.gifJust started a month ago!I am a Medical AssistantBFPChart2.gif.My hubby Ry is the AWESOMEST!! jammin.gif

Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Exemptions don't have anything to do with TANF-type benefits.  They are for school entry only.  FL tried this with me years ago but when I held my ground they backed down and admitted that it wasn't contingent on being UTD.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

there IS religious exemption, (unless you are in WV or Mississippi )and i urge you to check the laws regarding this.  And you can still claim religious exemption as well...simply say you were not aware of the ingredients which are against your beliefs, and then get that exemption, pronto.  

What state are you in?  Many workers are not aware of laws regarding vaxing and are simply repeating what they have been told to say to people.   And a great many of them are extremely ignorant on the subject as well.  

I am in CA and am applying for TANF just to get back on our feet. What do I have to do to get the exemption for not vaxing? In my previous state we were able to get food stamps no questions asked. Do I just say I am philosophically/spiritually opposed or must I claim to be of a specific religion?

Thanks

be good family...

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

I am in CA and am applying for TANF just to get back on our feet. What do I have to do to get the exemption for not vaxing? In my previous state we were able to get food stamps no questions asked. Do I just say I am philosophically/spiritually opposed or must I claim to be of a specific religion?

Thanks

http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/calworks/eligibility.cfm

under school attendance and immunizations:

Quote:

All school-age children, except those in the Cal-Learn or other approved teen parent program, must attend school to receive aid.  Parents must also show proof that all children not in school and under the age of 6 have received appropriate immunizations within 30 days from the date of eligibility.  A financial penalty will be imposed on the parent/caretaker relative for failure to comply with the immunization requirements.  In the following situations, the family may be exempt from the immunization rules:

redball.gif
Immunizations are contrary to religious beliefs

Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

The poor are always desperate and are taken advantage of in situations like this.

I understand it is standard practice to require hepatitis vaccines for anyone who is going to be allowed into a homeless shelter.  People need to know that they have rights even in the most desperate of circumstances.  

My friends was in a homeless shelter and pregnant and they forced her to get vaccinated for a bunch of stuff even a live flu vax! They forced everyone in the shelter.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM

In Illinois they will try and tell you that you HAVE TO get the shots but it is untrue. Tell them you know your rights and to back off, they will. It is typically the case workers when you are enrolled into a case management program. You can tell them you wish to opt out of case management. They are just throwing their weight around. Exemptions are for schools. You don't need an exemption for state benefits.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Okay, I have an appointment with a worker on the 22nd. In the mail they sent something stating that I need to bring proof of vaccines to the meeting. So I just tell them I am opposed for religious reasons but do not state my religion. Is that right? Thanks for the support and advice:)

be good family...

Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 PM

When my DH lost his job we applied for assistance. We were able to recieve food stamps and medicaid, but there was no way we could get tanf unless my kids were fully vaxxed according to the schedule. The exception to the rule was a medical exemption.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post

When my DH lost his job we applied for assistance. We were able to recieve food stamps and medicaid, but there was no way we could get tanf unless my kids were fully vaxxed according to the schedule. The exception to the rule was a medical exemption.

what state are you in?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Okay, I have an appointment with a worker on the 22nd. In the mail they sent something stating that I need to bring proof of vaccines to the meeting. So I just tell them I am opposed for religious reasons but do not state my religion. Is that right? Thanks for the support and advice:)

At a meeting I'm pretty sure they will ask you. Do you have any sort of religion/beliefs we could work with and come up with something appropriate?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

They are not allowed to ask you what religion you belong to, unless you live in NY, where they ARE allowed to question you, and as far as i know, its the only state to do such a thing...

you don't have to show proof of being a member of any particular church either.  Your religious beliefs can change at any time in your life, prompting you to live differently than before.  If they ask about your religion, tell them your 1st amendment rights gives you freedom not to discuss it. 

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Ask to see *in writing* where it says immunizations are a requirement for benefits.  WIC tries to pull this, too, but there is no requirement.  Usually when they want the vax card, they want it as a form of identification.  Get a vax card, put your kid's info on it, and just leave the shot area blank.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

At a meeting I'm pretty sure they will ask you. Do you have any sort of religion/beliefs we could work with and come up with something appropriate?

For starters I am vegan which to me is almost a religion;)  and my kids former peds in WA gave us a philosophical exemption for daycare and a waiver for WIC.  I am very spiritual but not actually of a specific religion. If I had to label myself it would be as either Pagan/CUUPS or Baha' i since I pick and choose what I follow based on what feels spiritually satisfying.

Thanks for offering to help! I'm surprised how less liberal/open minded CA is compared to WA where I could just be philosophically opposed...

be good family...

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Here is something that may help :)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/13330509/Are_there_any_Pagans_here_Religious_Exepmtion_Reasoning_Question

Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM

mamayogibear, this:

Quote:

They are not allowed to ask you what religion you belong to, unless you live in NY, where they ARE allowed to question you, and as far as i know, its the only state to do such a thing...

you don't have to show proof of being a member of any particular church either.  Your religious beliefs can change at any time in your life, prompting you to live differently than before.  If they ask about your religion, tell them your 1st amendment rights gives you freedom not to discuss it. 

You do not have to state a specific religion.  Nor do you have to be a member of a church. Like emmy526 said, you are protected under the 1st amendment.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:

what state are you in?

This was in Colorado.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post

This was in Colorado.

colorado used to have all 3 exemptions available...i used to live there and used it for my own kids..did you call the dept of health and get a copy of the laws?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you! I'm just going to keep it simple and say I choose the Religious exemption and I have the right to keep the details to myself due to the first amendment. I love this site:)

be good family...

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

I totally forgot I had my dd vaxed until she was one when I came to my senses. My son on the other hand I have not vaxed at all.. How can I still use the religious exemption??? Should I say I converted or is that none of their business? Thanks a million if anyone gets this before tomorrow at noon!

be good family...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Yes you converted!

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List