Oral Vitamin K, 1 or 2? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If supplementing with oral vitamin K rather than having baby injected at birth with it, what is the preferred type? 1 or 2? My naturopath indicated she has oral K in her office.  I asked her if she could supply me with the brand name so I can research it and it is called Thorne Vitamin K2.  What is the difference between 1 and 2, and which would be the correct one to use for a newborn after birth?

ETA: So far from my research, it looks like K1 is what is used for blood coagulation and K2 is for bone metabolism.  I'm confused as to why my naturopath would suggest a K2 supplement for me and my newborn baby if K2 is for bone metabolism.headscratch.gif  Do both forms, 1 and 2, prevent hemorrhaging and support blood coagulation?  If not, it seems K1 is certainly the type of K I would need.  The vitamin K injection is K1, isn't it? 

I guess I'm back to square one....anyone have ideas of a good K1 oral supplement?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 5 Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Vitamin k crosses the placenta. Just stock up on vitamin k rich foods in your third trimester.

#3 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammiga View Post

Vitamin k crosses the placenta. Just stock up on vitamin k rich foods in your third trimester.

I've read that not enough crosses the placenta at all, so it seems I would have to eat a ton of Vit-K-rich foods to even get a minute amount across the placenta, which is nearly impossible for me since I'm not a huge fan of leafy greens to begin with. (How would you know how much of the leafy greens you need to eat to ensure it's enough for your baby? One time a day, three times a day, etc?) I really have trouble getting greens down, which is why I think supplementing is my best bet.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 AM

I've read not much gets through breastmilk for a while, but that it does cross the placenta. But I don't have sources, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I would think just some healthy portions of vitamin k rich foods? I don't know. But, I'm not one for messing with evolution- I think if it doesn't get to the baby naturally, there is probably a reason for it.

#5 of 5 Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this is helpful:

http://thebabybond.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.html

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page