Tell me why - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I personally had bad reactions when I was a baby which caused an overactive immune system, after reading your two stories I count myself lucky! My issues are liveable but annoying, I cannot eat meat or any heavy protein and have severe allergies. It also caused me to loose many pregnancies before my girls...

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 75 Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM

I never questioned vaccinations until my son had a reaction to his 2 month shots. He cried for 4 hours straight and not even nursing him helped. When I checked the FAQ handout thingy they give you at the ped's office, this reaction was listed as something that happens in rare cases (for the DPT vaccination). I never vax after that and deeply regret not having done my research before he was born. He developed eczema after that, something he is still battling with at age 5. I didn't vax my daughter at all. I have also now realized that the vaccinations I had to get for a work related trip in 05 were the reason I developed cold sore type lesions that lasted for 6 months. 

I, too, am saddened by what some of you have gone through and am so sorry that you/your children are suffering. Have you looked into homeopathy at all? There are a few remedies that help with vaccination induced symptoms and perhaps exploring them might help. Here is a db of practioners if you would like to explore this option:

http://www.homeopathic.org/resources/practitioners

Good health & happiness to all of you

mdcblog5.gif

#63 of 75 Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Naturallysta, my one of my kids developed a severe, oozing, blistering rash from his 4-month shots. It was severe enough that the pediatrician was very concerned ("I've never seen anything like this before!") and sent us to a dermatologist, who took one look and said, "This is a drug reaction, what's he on?"  Of course, he wasn't on anything but my milk (no drugs in me, no drugs in my milk), so her diagnosis was, "It's a vaccine reaction, we've seen a lot of them."

After a few months that rash morphed into what she then called "severe blistering eczema," and then over several years faded to classic eczema.

But it disappeared when he was 7--when he went on a gluten-free diet.

We challenged the diet twice, both times without telling him.  Both times the rash came back, each time, more severely.

This doesn't mean that your kid has the same thing mine did.  But you might want to to try a gluten-free diet, just to rule it out.

Of course, what I don't get is, how the shot triggered the rash--but then gluten took it over, so to speak.

Another dermatologist told us that he wasn't sure, but he suspected that the rash would have disappeared altogether after a few months had we not started feeding our son gluten (bread/crackers) a few months after the shots.

He also said that his practice got a LOT of business from vaccine reactions.  He didn't say it with glee, or with rancor; he just stated it matter-of-factly.

#64 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like eczema is a really common issue after vaccines, anyone else? I am putting together questions for the doctor this afternoon.

On a different note - did you gals get the email about the new vax forum?

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#65 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the info..I never actually thought of gluten being an issue..my son is such a bread fan, I'm dreading that possibility but will definitely give that a shot (no pun intended!) to rule it out.

xx

mdcblog5.gif

#66 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM

for us personally, it was the result of a limited 4 month vaccine/ well check.  (you can skip all my story and just read the main reason in red text below.)

we had decided before birth not to vaccinate however we were sent to a large pediatric clinic for well checks since i hadn't found the pediatrician of my dreams yet.  our well visits went ok without much snarling about the non-vax status of our daughter until the four month well check.  a nurse became infuriated as she checked us in and took out a huge black marker and wrote, "STILL NOT VAX-ING!!!" across the top of my daughter's file.  i blew it off and waited for our doctor, when she came in i asked what the most important vaccines she thought my daughter should have and that i would allow for 2.  (i was becoming embarrassed and they were wearing me down with pressure and implied actions that made me feel like a bad mother such as the file folder).  she agreed on two vaccines and i watched as my daughter got two shots and took it like a champ.  as we left, i was given all the vaccine information and other well sheets.  upon arriving home, i realized they gave my kid 5 shots in 2 vials, not two vaccines as we had discussed, but 1 double and a combo-shot containing 3 different vaccines.  within a few hours my daughter developed the expected fever, nausea, icky symptoms.  i paced all night trying to figure out how to sue the clinic.  those ideas were soon lost though as i became too busy to pursue them.

my daughter was sick like this for almost two months.  at first it was chalked up to a "normal" vaccine reaction and then as that window of time was closing, they assured me that she had some kind of cold (one that she didn't need to be "seen" for, of course.  after three weeks i quit calling.  we went to total co-sleeping because i was afraid they'd raised her risk for sids.  we went on symptomatically treating her for various ails, when she had never had any problems before, until she was 6 months old and her almost daily fevers went away.  it was a mild reaction compared to what many children and adults experience every year, but it scared the crap out of us.  we'd read about vaccine issues for the entire time i was pregnant.  i still feel bad about giving into the pressure.  i should have taken some of my vaccine research time to find a better doctor for her.  i had to live and learn.

after being,

specifically deceived to believe my daughter was getting the two shots i had ok'd when it was actually 5,

being harassed into getting shots in the first place,

unable to get any follow up care for what was not a typical vaccine reaction

and finding a new doctor with a no-vax friendly clinic,

i went back to what i knew in my gut all along.  9 months of research should have been enough for me to stick to my guns, but the guilt i perceived was a strong motivator for a new, first time mom as well.  i knew i didn't want to put this garbage into my child, but when i wavered and saw for myself what her reaction was, i was born again in my anti-vax faith.  i'm sorry i did fall for the pressure, but i feel very lucky that her reactions were rather mild even though they persisted for almost 2 months, they did finally remit entirely.

my best advice is that if you make a decision to not vaccinate, make sure you have a pedi on board with you before your baby comes.  otherwise i can almost guarantee that you'll be exposed to strong arm tactics and pro-vaccine pressure. 

married mom of one girl.  no more vaxing. breastfed for 23 months. sometimes working, sometimes stay at home chef lady who tires to feed her family the best foods available. 

longtime member, seldom poster.

#67 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM

eggs too, if it wasn't mentioned.  an egg allergy can make you very ill if you take a flu shot...

married mom of one girl.  no more vaxing. breastfed for 23 months. sometimes working, sometimes stay at home chef lady who tires to feed her family the best foods available. 

longtime member, seldom poster.

#68 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturallysta View Post

Thanks for the info..I never actually thought of gluten being an issue..my son is such a bread fan, I'm dreading that possibility but will definitely give that a shot (no pun intended!) to rule it out.

xx

You might check out www.csaceliacs.org and www.celiac.com for ideas.

It's not nearly as horrendous an undertaking as it sounds.  There are many gluten-free breads, and there is ONE that actually doesn't taste gluten-free.  It's made by Udi's, and our grocery store carries it frozen. It's terribly expensive, but if he likes it, you can buy it in bulk on Ama.on, and save a bit that way.  You can also make your own in a bread machine, which is much cheaper, and just as good.  

Pasta is easy to sub with brown rice pasta (tastes just the same) and Betty Crocker makes gf cake, cookie, and brownie mixes that taste just as good as gluteny ones.

The hardest part is having to read labels to see where gluten is sneaked (snuk?) into foods as a thickener (sauces), binder (tuna salads), or flavoring (malt or barley malt, in many cereals).

Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you!

#69 of 75 Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

It is official, NO VAX! My doc confirmed everything I researched and all your common issues. He said that since our girls were SO preemie they would be a higher risk for all those scary reactions. Risk out weighs benefit for us and our doctor agrees :) he did say that if an out break occurs in our area of some issue he might recommend one vax depending on the illness. I feel so lucky to have such an open minded doctor. Thank you for all your advice and personal stories, it may have save our lives.

#70 of 75 Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM

YAY! Thats so excieting! Good for you Mama! very nice your doctor is going to work with you on it

thumbsup.gif for clean bodies!

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#71 of 75 Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Taximom-

My unvaxed son is gluten intolerant. Wanted to tell you about Canyon Bakehouse GF bread. MUCH better than UDI's!! (but $$$). Anyway my son is GF and I was too when I was breastfeeding. It certainly is dooable. I lost alot of my pregnancy weight by going GF!

http://canyonbakehouse.com/store-locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

You might check out www.csaceliacs.org and www.celiac.com for ideas.

It's not nearly as horrendous an undertaking as it sounds.  There are many gluten-free breads, and there is ONE that actually doesn't taste gluten-free.  It's made by Udi's, and our grocery store carries it frozen. It's terribly expensive, but if he likes it, you can buy it in bulk on Ama.on, and save a bit that way.  You can also make your own in a bread machine, which is much cheaper, and just as good.  

Pasta is easy to sub with brown rice pasta (tastes just the same) and Betty Crocker makes gf cake, cookie, and brownie mixes that taste just as good as gluteny ones.

The hardest part is having to read labels to see where gluten is sneaked (snuk?) into foods as a thickener (sauces), binder (tuna salads), or flavoring (malt or barley malt, in many cereals).

Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#72 of 75 Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Taximom-

My unvaxed son is gluten intolerant. Wanted to tell you about Canyon Bakehouse GF bread. MUCH better than UDI's!! (but $$$). Anyway my son is GF and I was too when I was breastfeeding. It certainly is dooable. I lost alot of my pregnancy weight by going GF!

http://canyonbakehouse.com/store-locations

I tried their bread when I was in Colorado a couple of summer ago.  Yes, it's fabulous!!!  But away from Colorado, it's prohibitively expensive.  I make do by baking my own, and with Rudi's (rather than Udi's), which Costco sells in their freezer section.

I lost 25 pounds in about 6 weeks going GF, and I was eating a TON of carbs (mostly Fritos and chocolate chips, not together).  The last 10 pounds don't seem to want to budge, but I'm okay with that...

#73 of 75 Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I tried their bread when I was in Colorado a couple of summer ago.  Yes, it's fabulous!!!  But away from Colorado, it's prohibitively expensive.  I make do by baking my own, and with Rudi's (rather than Udi's), which Costco sells in their freezer section.

I lost 25 pounds in about 6 weeks going GF, and I was eating a TON of carbs (mostly Fritos and chocolate chips, not together).  The last 10 pounds don't seem to want to budge, but I'm okay with that...

Totally OT here I know but I tried several recipies when baking my own bread (dont have a bread maker so has to be without one) and never really found one I found al that palatable which is why when I found the canyon I started buying that but yes it is very $$ and I would love to bake my own and save the Canyon for a special treat. Any recipies for a yummy GF sandwich bread you have Id love you to share! You can PM me as Im sure that is not appropriate for this thread!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#74 of 75 Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM

My daughter is not vaccinated at all. I have several anti-vaccine books. A couple of good ones are "Saying No To Vaccines" by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny and also "The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination is Not Immunization" by Dr. Tim O'Shea. The very first time I ever heard of the concept of staying away from vaccines in order to be healthy was when I read it in Kevin Trudeau's "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About" book.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#75 of 75 Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I read "The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination is Not Immunization" by Dr. Tim O'Shea. That was one of the books that really helped me make the choice not to vax, my amazing neighbor gave it to me. She warned me not to read it unless no vax was an option because after that book I would never want to vax...she was right.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page