Poor immune system - what would you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in selective & delayed vax but do far no response. Maybe someone here can help...

I just wanted to find out what other moms would do if they were in my shoes. I have an 11 mo old daughter who is EBF, has never been vaccinated and I am a stay at home mom. My concern is twofold : now that she is getting older she is playing more with other kids and I would like to take her to indoor and outdoor playgrounds, so naturally she will be exposed to more germs. Problem is I have been to the doctor and I am immuno compromised with a low white blood cell count. So if she is getting her immunity from me and mine isn't that great should I consider vaccinating against what I consider to be the biggest concerns: the viruses that can lead to meningitis and polio. For what it's worth I live in a part of the country that has a huge international population and is a travel destination. Anyway, I am not 100% against vaccines, but I was planning to wait until she was a toddler to selectively vaccinate. But now that she is 11 months I am not sure I am ready for it yet. Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

TIA
#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM

I don't know that you having a compromised immune system means that you aren't making immunities in your breastmilk - has a doctor told you this?

Regarding polio, I don't worry about it at all.  I am also in an area that has a large international population and is a huge tourist destination, not to mention across the border from Mexico - but I am completely unconcerned about polio.  There hasn't been a case of wild polio in the U.S. in decades.  I'm very confident that the first case, if there ever is one, is not going to be in my partially vaxed kids, or in someone they are exposed to.  :)  In the extremely unlikely case that there becomes a polio outbreak in my part of the country, I might consider the vaccine (maybe), but for the time being, it's not even on my radar.

I admit that I'm not well-versed enough about the pneumococcal vaccine to comment, but I have read about issues with serotype replacement, and know that it only covers a few strains of the illness.

member234098 likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

No a doctor didn't tell me how my breast milk antibodies would be effected, because that's not his specialty. From what I've read my body will create antibodies when either my daughter or I are exposed. And white blood cells produce antibodies, so if I have a low WBC count I imagine my antibody production would be effected. But I will have to dig deeper with maybe a different doc.

For arguments sake lets just say my ability to help my DD fight an exposure to meningococcal or pneumococcal is limited. Does this outweigh the risks of getting her vaccinated against them?
#4 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Btw thanks for polio info... Thought it was a concern just because of the area I live in smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmama1 View Post

Does this outweigh the risks of getting her vaccinated against them?

Only you can decide that, as there is really no data to compare - the risk of adverse reactions is so hard to determine, and at the end of the day, if your daughter does have one, then the risk is 100%, you know?  That's why these are such challenging decisions.

IMO, a person's risk of having an adverse reaction to the polio vaccine is far greater than their risk of even being exposed to polio to begin with, let alone getting and having complications from the illness, but only you can decide which risk you are more comfortable with taking. 

Personally, I'd recommend thoroughly researching the diseases you are concerned about - what the symptoms are, how they are treated, their prevalence, etc., as well as the vaccines for them, including adverse reactions, contraindications, effectiveness, etc.  Be confident with whatever decision you make, as you can always choose to vaccinate later on, but can't un-vaccinate.

Best wishes in your decision-making!  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I don't know.

I think it's a difficult decision either way.

One thing to consider, though, is that if you encounter any child who has recently gotten a live-virus vaccine (like the MMR, for example), they can shed live virus cells (in other words, be contagious) for up to 3 weeks following vaccination.

There are no studies on the safety/efficacy of vaccines on those who are immunocompromised.

I'm sorry I can't think of anything helpful for you.

#7 of 8 Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's such a tough decision. The more I learn about vaccines the less I want to vaccinate. Especially because my little one has allergies already. We even has one ped recommend against it - she didnt know about my low WBC count then. Who knows if there is something in a vaccine that my DD would react to.

The live virus vaccines also concern me. What have other moms done with their unvaccinated kids... Do they let them play with vaccinated kids during this time? I believe it's the 18 mo vaccine that has the live virus. Do they avoid playgroups?

A little off topic: but It's funny that some people I know have said by not vaccinating my DD I am putting others with comprimised immune systems at risk... But isnt it the other way around? Arent people like myself more at risk around vaccinated kids?
#8 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmama1 View Post

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's such a tough decision. The more I learn about vaccines the less I want to vaccinate. Especially because my little one has allergies already. We even has one ped recommend against it - she didnt know about my low WBC count then. Who knows if there is something in a vaccine that my DD would react to.
The live virus vaccines also concern me. What have other moms done with their unvaccinated kids... Do they let them play with vaccinated kids during this time? I believe it's the 18 mo vaccine that has the live virus. Do they avoid playgroups?
A little off topic: but It's funny that some people I know have said by not vaccinating my DD I am putting others with comprimised immune systems at risk... But isnt it the other way around? Arent people like myself more at risk around vaccinated kids?

My son is unvaccinated and almost 4. We don't avoid vaccinated kids because that would be impossible. He is in daycare and had been since he was 3 months old. He is in preschool. Im sure he has been around recently vaccinated children at one point or anotherin his life but how could I as a parent possible know when or who. Personally I think the risk of my son picking up a VPD from a recently vaccinated child is fairly slim. I know it's a possibility, but quite unlikely. The one that concerns me the most is flumist. I concentrate on keeping his immune system as strong and resilient as I can. You cannot have 100% control over your child's environment and his/her exposure to certain things from others...Its just not possible. IF I knew a child had had flumist and I could keep my son away from them (ie his little friend's mom mentions that junior just got flumist and they had a playdate scheduled) I would probably come up with an excuse to cancel it. As for your last statement I think the risk of a recently vaccinated child (with a live virus vaccine) to an immune compromised person is real, but the risk of an unvaccinated child to the same person is assumed. You have to asume that the unvaccinated child is actually sick with a VPD at the time they came in contact with the immune compromised person, which is fairly unlikely IMO. Just the fact that a kid is unvaccinated doesn't automatically make them disease carriers.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page