Why so much mainstream hatred for non-vaxers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh, this article disgusts me so much, if you are worried about your blood pressure, maybe skip it!

 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/02/13/anti_vaccination_attitudes_percolate_amongst_those_with_superiority_fetishes_.html

 

I think I need to stop reading slate. theyve had a bunch of offensive articles hating on non-vaxers, homeschoolers, etc. recently.

 

 

Quote:
What's interesting here is how revealing this whole situation is of the psychological baggage that leads a person to become an anti-vaccination fanatic. Whether it's because you think God loves you best or because you think your dedication to organic produce confers magical health benefits, the underlying sentiment of anti-vaccination believers is that they and theirs are special, and shouldn't be subject to the unclean health practices of the common folk. Vaccination is just too democratic a practice. Rich and poor, black and white, Christian or not: we all have to sit in the same chair while the same nurse pokes us with the same batch of drugs. They don't even have special needles for the better class of person getting a vaccination. Getting vaccinated is to health care like taking the bus is to transportation. The very act of it insinuates that your special snowflake of a child could become infected with germs that come from someone else's totally-not-special kid. Of course anti-vaccination attitudes are percolating amongst yuppies and fundamentalist Christians, two groups whose social identity depends on feeling superior to the masses. 

 

WHY is there soooo much hatred against non-vaxers/delayed/selective? Is it really the herd immunity belief? I don't even really buy that they are concerned about those who cannot be vaccinated, because they don't even seem to believe that ANYONE should not be vaccinated....I'm starting to think it's just hatred of anyone doing something different, not toeing the line. I think in someways, radical pro-vax, with extreme non-vax hatred, are trying to make themselves feel better about their own choices, or something? What are your thoughts? I guess it's easy to hate on a small group of people who are doing something different from what you do.

 

I hate to inform this author that vax reactions don't just happen to parents with superiority complexes or special snowflake children. vax reaction seems pretty democratic too - doesnt matter race, class, gender, etc.

 

ETA - another question, do you long time non-vaxers see any differences in media towards non-vax? I haven't paid attention to or researched the issue for that long, (last few years), but since I have I've noticed so much ferocity from the media, has it always been like this or getting worse?

Slmommy is offline  
#2 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

Ugh, this article disgusts me so much, if you are worried about your blood pressure, maybe skip it!

 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/02/13/anti_vaccination_attitudes_percolate_amongst_those_with_superiority_fetishes_.html

 

I think I need to stop reading slate. theyve had a bunch of offensive articles hating on non-vaxers, homeschoolers, etc. recently.

 

 

 

WHY is there soooo much hatred against non-vaxers/delayed/selective? Is it really the herd immunity belief? I don't even really buy that they are concerned about those who cannot be vaccinated, because they don't even seem to believe that ANYONE should not be vaccinated....I'm starting to think it's just hatred of anyone doing something different, not toeing the line. I think in someways, radical pro-vax, with extreme non-vax hatred, are trying to make themselves feel better about their own choices, or something? What are your thoughts? I guess it's easy to hate on a small group of people who are doing something different from what you do.

 

I hate to inform this author that vax reactions don't just happen to parents with superiority complexes or special snowflake children. vax reaction seems pretty democratic too - doesnt matter race, class, gender, etc.

 

ETA - another question, do you long term non-vaxers see any differences in media towards non-vax? I haven't paid attention to or researched the issue for that long, (last few years), but since I have I've noticed so much ferocity from the media, has it always been like this or getting worse?


My take on this will anger some people, and I apologize in advance for doing so, but this is what I really believe.

 

I believe that it is the same force that drove otherwise good, kind, otherwise-Christian Germans and Austrians to hate the Jews in the 1930's and 1940's , and the same force that drives bigotry of any kind.

 

That force is a combination of fear, herd mentality, and a kind of survival instinct, and it's part of human nature.  It drives one to ignore facts when one feels threatened.

 

It is compounded by the greed of a select few, who play upon these fears. 

 

In the 1930's, there was a massive propaganda campaign launched against the Jews; children's books and adult cartoons depicted Jews as money-grubbing leeches who supposedly harmed innocent children.  Newspapers talked about the horrible threat against the culture from these "outsiders."

I know what I'm talking about first-hand--my father was a Holocaust survivor, and we have a newspaper clipping from 1937, with a picture of him and a schoolfriend (both born in Austria, to Austrian parents)--two little boys with dark curly hair (obviously not Aryan) wearing lederhosen and carrying schoolbooks.  The caption was about how the "Outsiders" dared to wear the Austrian national costume (which ALL schoolboys wore) and were a sign of Jews taking over Austrian culture.  And how it must be stopped.

 

Fast-forward to today.  Children's books and TV cartoons are filled with propaganda of how getting vaccines helps.  Newspapers are literally full of lies--there is article after article about how the "science is in," how vaccines are "proven" to not be linked with autism (no such proof exists), how Wakefield lied in a study to link MMR with autism (it wasn't a study, it was a case series, and it said very clearly, "we have NOT proved a causal association with MMR and autism").  I've even seen SEVERAL newspaper articles saying that Wakefield's study linked thimerosal in the MMR with autism (MMR does not and never has contained thimerosal, and Wakefield's case series never mentioned thimerosal).  

 

The press reports every year that vaccines are safe, and that thimerosal has been "removed.".No mention is made of the 1297 cases of admitted and compensated vaccine-induced permanent brain damage.  No mention is made of the many studies linking vaccines with autoimmune disease, asthma, diabetes, lupus, MS, etc. No mention is made of the fact that 90% of the flu shots available are thimerosal-preserved.  No mention is made of the fact that the adult versions of the vaccines given in the US are still thimerosal-preserved, nor of the fact that the thimerosal-preserved pediatric vaccines are still being made in the US--and shipped to third-world countries, where autism and autoimmune disease rates are suddently on the rise.

 

Flu shots are urged in every news media, in every drug store, on every corner.  Businesses offer financial incentives to "get your flu shot."  No mention is made anywhere of the recent studies showing that the flu shot is as effective as...a placebo.  No mention is made of the possible risks of this vaccine.  None whatever. It even says in the package insert "safety and efficacy not determined in eldery and pediatric populations."  The answer to recent studies showing especial lack of efficacy in the elderly?  Give them a DOUBLE shot.  No mention is made of the increase in reports of severe adverse effects in those getting the double shot.

 

Those who refuse, delay, or even QUESTION vaccines are vilified.  Parents have had children taken by various government services for refusing vaccines. California just passed a bill allowing children as young as 12 years old to be given hepatitis B vaccine, Gardasil, and other "services" relating to sexual activity WITHOUT PARENTAL KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT.  The press blames each and every outbreak of a "vaccine-preventable disease" on the unvaccinated, in spite of the fact that the vast majority of those come down with these diseases are fully vaccinated.

 

Just like in the 1930's, it's all about fear-mongering, and finding a group to blame, a group whose removal from the situation will result in increased profits to others.

 

So, just like in the 1930's, we need to ask ourselves:  who is threatened by someone turning down a flu shot, Gardasil, Rotavirus vaccine, etc??  What is being threatened?  Not their health, that's for sure. 

 

As always, we need to follow the money trail, because THAT'S what is being threatened, and THAT is what is being used to force compliance.  Vaccines are a multi-billion dollar business.  Money is used as the motivating factor for vaccine compliance rates in medical practices, in businesses (health insurance companies offer discounts for companies with 100% vaccine compliance rates), and health insurance rates.

 

The financial conflict of interest is EVERYWHERE.  The former head of the CDC is now president of Merck's vaccine division.  The head of Reuter's is on the board of Merck.  The Murdochs are on the board of Glaxo, AND own and run their own vaccine testing facility.  The doctors who teach in medical schools are also paid consultants with pharmaceutical companies--usually with SEVERAL pharmaceutical companies.  The CME (Continuing Medical Education) courses required for doctors' board certification are directly run by pharmaceutical companies.

And all the studies that purport to show how "safe" vaccines are are in some way financially tied to the very industry that profits from their sale.  This is known as "tobacco science," for obvious reasons.

 

The really sad thing is, we haven't changed at all in the last 80 years.  Only the group being targeted has changed.  The motivations, the methods--all the same.

 

Taximom5 is offline  
#3 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yeahthat.gif

 

Totally 100% agree with everything you have said!


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#4 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Another perspective may come from this:   http://www.amazon.com/The-Wave-by-Alexander-Grasshoff/dp/B00132XZNI

 

It's actually an old ABC after-school TV special, only about an hour, I think, but really, really well-done.  It's based on a true story, about a California high school social studies teacher.  One day, his students ask about how all the decent people in Germany and Austria could let all the evil events in the Holocaust happen.  He tries to explain, goes home and thinks about it, and the next day tries an experiment.  He begins to run his classroom according to the methods ussed by the leaders of the SS and Hitler Youth.

 

He starts by instilling discipline, then pride, and then takes it further, turning their classroom into an elite group, assigning some students to have some powers over others. 

 

It's fascinating to watch the changes that come over the students.  At first, the discipline has only good effects, but then, as the teacher introduces the sense of elitism and the power games, some of the worst aspects of human nature begin to surface.  Good kids literally end up losing themselves to the larger group, as the group takes on more importance than the individual.

 

I won't spoil the ending for you (unless you pm me ask me to, of course). It's worth ordering and owning a copy (even if the DVD quality kinda sucks--it's from the 1980's and the picture is really grainy).

 

There's also a book, that it's based on.

 

I discovered this DVD when our synagogue's Hebrew School showed it to the middle school students and invited the parents.

 

I think it should be required viewing for all students, regardless of religion, as it's not about religion. It's about social studies, and human nature, and propaganda. And, in fact, judging by the comments at Amazon, quite a few teachers do use this in their curriculum.

 

 

Taximom5 is offline  
#5 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM
 
AbbyGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Careful with all that nazi talk.  It could be turned around the other way...you know with all the elitism and purity.  I've seen many a anti-vaxer refer to those that are vaccinated as tainted and damaged.  Personally, I think all the bickering is stupid on both sides.

AbbyGrant is offline  
#6 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Careful with all that nazi talk.  It could be turned around the other way...you know with all the elitism and purity.  I've seen many a anti-vaxer refer to those that are vaccinated as tainted and damaged.  Personally, I think all the bickering is stupid on both sides.



And many intactivists refer to circumcised penises as "mutilated" and "butchered".  It's all perspective.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#7 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
 
AbbyGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post


It's all perspective.



And sometimes people's perspective does not match reality.  

AbbyGrant is offline  
#8 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
 
GoBecGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I vax and this baffles me too. Lots of folks i know don't vax for a large variety of reasons. Since i chose to vax i don't see what danger their differing choice is supposed to pose. I don't understand where the illogical extrapolations regarding their vax choices come from (non-vaxers think x or do y or want z). All it means to me is that they don't vax.

I suppose ultimately it probably comes from the same place as all prejudice - in evolutionary terms being a prejudiced conservative probably stops you eating the poisonous berries more often than it gets you killed in a war.
Slmommy likes this.
GoBecGo is offline  
#9 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



And many intactivists refer to circumcised penises as "mutilated" and "butchered".  It's all perspective.

Really? The foreskin is not just extra skin, its an integral part of the whole. To remove it damages the man and his penis function, forever. If that isn't mutilation, I'm not sure what is.


Back to the vaccines.. My kids have been slow vaxed and are only missing a handful of what's recommended. I have never had any issue with schools or doctors, I just say "no thanks".
Shenjall likes this.
philomom is offline  
#10 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post


Really? The foreskin is not just extra skin, its an integral part of the whole. To remove it damages the man and his penis function, forever. If that isn't mutilation, I'm not sure what is.
 


My point is that some might consider vaccination to be a mutilation of the healthy, intact immune system.

mamayogibear likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#11 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



My point is that some might consider vaccination to be a mutilation of the healthy, intact immune system.

I agree that we are by-passing the body's natural immunity by injecting a disease right into their bodies. I have mixed feelings on it but my research tells me that the cost/risk/benefit ratio is worth it in some cases.

I know two separate families that seem to spend all winter long fighting one cold after another. Kids and grown-ups. One family vaxes, the other does not. In both cases their immune system fails them. So what is the secret then? The no vax family has excellent nutrition. The vax family eats more mainstream. Both have similar homes, in similar neighborhoods and both families own pets. There must be something science has missed so far.
philomom is offline  
#12 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
 
AbbyGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



My point is that some might consider vaccination to be a mutilation of the healthy, intact immune system.


I get that, and that's all fine and good for them and their families.  It's when it crosses over to judgement about others that I was referring to.  I used come to MDC when my oldest was a baby, and I saw some spectacular examples.  Most of the choice stuff was removed of course.  

DoubleDouble likes this.
AbbyGrant is offline  
#13 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)


If you dig deep you can still find some good judgey stuff.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post


I get that, and that's all fine and good for them and their families.  It's when it crosses over to judgement about others that I was referring to.  I used come to MDC when my oldest was a baby, and I saw some spectacular examples.  Most of the choice stuff was removed of course.  



 

Imakcerka is offline  
#14 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
 
tillymonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Coast California
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great responses and pretty much why I decided not to vax. DD at 4mo had, IMHO a scary reaction to the Dtap I was pretty much forced to get at the peds office. I was told nothing about the company who provided the shots. I wasn't allowed to get one at a time. Nothing mentioned about "side effects" but a tiny little paragraph at the bottom of the information I was given. All this and then I was told I'd better give DD tylenol for pain. That sure is A LOT of drugs/chemicals and who knows what into a tiny body which is growing at a crazy rate. That's the last thing her poor immune system needed. It took several days for her to go back to her happy self and her leg was swollen. They told me I didn't have to give her Tylenol for pain. Yeah. She was SCREAMING in pain for almost an hour. I didn't want to give her anything else but nursing and rocking wasn't working. It was torturous. All because it's the right thing to do. For who? All I know is I wasn't vaxed and my husband was. We both have autoimmune diseases! I just don't want to see my DD in pain. She can get her shots if she wants to when she's older. Why mess her now? I don't like fear mongering or being forced to do anything. I never get the flu or the flu shot. Talk about controlling the population... It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

tillymonster is offline  
#15 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hmm, lots of stuff to think about. taximom5, the dvd you are talking about sounds a lot like the stanford prison experiment.

 

I would like to know, from those of you who have been following this issue for 5, 10+ years, if you have noticed an increase in the sentiment against anti-vaxers, or if it has always been pretty much this way? 

 

I am wondering if more and more parents are doing selected/delayed/non vaxing, and that is the threat, the internet and more books being published about the subject? the increased number of vax on the schedule causing more issues for parents? more info, more questions, etc.?

 

I also hate to go off-topic, and dont want to cause arguments about other issues, but does anyone think that the political climate towards other issues in healthcare is affecting the vaccine debate? Also not great economy at the moment... ? or is it also just some gross extension of "mommy wars?" 

 

I read some of the comments for the slate article I mentioned above, as much as I could handle... haha not much. the ignorance was astounding. People talking about how they get their Hep B vaccines because they eat a lot of street food and could get it that way... kids dying left and right from whooping cough... But a lot of the comments were clearly reveling in the US (good, right, smart) vs. THEM (bad, wrong, stupid) mentality. 

 

I know MDC used to be more extreme, but I just don't see non-vaxers passing as much judgement on vaxers. Maybe that's just me. I see a lot of pro-vaxers way way way too riled up about non-vaxers. It seems most non-vaxers in real life tend to keep quiet to avoid conflict.

 

Slmommy is offline  
#16 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
 
oaktreemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


So to sum up-a bunch of privileged first world Moms fapping on the Internet about vaccines are drawing parallels between themselves and the slaughter of six million people?

GROSS.

oaktreemama is offline  
#17 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Banned
 
stik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Careful with all that nazi talk.  It could be turned around the other way...you know with all the elitism and purity.  I've seen many a anti-vaxer refer to those that are vaccinated as tainted and damaged.  Personally, I think all the bickering is stupid on both sides.



There are white supremacist groups that oppose vaccination because it interferes with natural selection and allows the immunologically inferior to survive disease outbreaks and contaminate the race by passing on their flawed, weak immune systems.

 

 

Quote:
The really sad thing is, we haven't changed at all in the last 80 years.  Only the group being targeted has changed.  The motivations, the methods--all the same.

 

I think we've changed a lot.  I think the motivations for criticizing non-vaxers and the treatment of non-vaccinators by critics are clearly substantially different from the motivations and actions of the Nazi party.

 

Kanna likes this.
stik is offline  
#18 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

I vax and this baffles me too. Lots of folks i know don't vax for a large variety of reasons. Since i chose to vax i don't see what danger their differing choice is supposed to pose. I don't understand where the illogical extrapolations regarding their vax choices come from (non-vaxers think x or do y or want z). All it means to me is that they don't vax.
I suppose ultimately it probably comes from the same place as all prejudice - in evolutionary terms being a prejudiced conservative probably stops you eating the poisonous berries more often than it gets you killed in a war.


This is very true.  I bet if we did a poll on the non-vaxxing forum on everything from religion, to schooling choices, etc we would find a wide variety of responses (or as wide a variety as there is on MDC.)  

purslaine is offline  
#19 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nm.  

purslaine is offline  
#20 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

 

 

I know MDC used to be more extreme, but I just don't see non-vaxers passing as much judgement on vaxers. Maybe that's just me. I see a lot of pro-vaxers way way way too riled up about non-vaxers. It seems most non-vaxers in real life tend to keep quiet to avoid conflict.

 



I think that is because the cornerstone of Non-vaxxing is parental choice.  Hence we are usually tolerant of those who choose differently.  

 

The cornerstone of vaxxing is not parental choice (although many parents and certainly most if not all vaxxers on MDC do choose vaxxing as opposed to it being a default).  The cornerstone of vaxxing is public health and not  choice.  Indeed some vaxxers seem to think we should be forced to vax our kids, and many laws around schools and the like do make non-vaxxing difficult.

 

 

BeckyBird, Bokonon and Slmommy like this.
purslaine is offline  
#21 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
 
WildKingdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post


My take on this will anger some people, and I apologize in advance for doing so, but this is what I really believe.

 

I believe that it is the same force that drove otherwise good, kind, otherwise-Christian Germans and Austrians to hate the Jews in the 1930's and 1940's , and the same force that drives bigotry of any kind.

 

That force is a combination of fear, herd mentality, and a kind of survival instinct, and it's part of human nature.  It drives one to ignore facts when one feels threatened.

 

It is compounded by the greed of a select few, who play upon these fears. 

 

In the 1930's, there was a massive propaganda campaign launched against the Jews; children's books and adult cartoons depicted Jews as money-grubbing leeches who supposedly harmed innocent children.  Newspapers talked about the horrible threat against the culture from these "outsiders."

I know what I'm talking about first-hand--my father was a Holocaust survivor, and we have a newspaper clipping from 1937, with a picture of him and a schoolfriend (both born in Austria, to Austrian parents)--two little boys with dark curly hair (obviously not Aryan) wearing lederhosen and carrying schoolbooks.  The caption was about how the "Outsiders" dared to wear the Austrian national costume (which ALL schoolboys wore) and were a sign of Jews taking over Austrian culture.  And how it must be stopped.

 

Fast-forward to today.  Children's books and TV cartoons are filled with propaganda of how getting vaccines helps.  Newspapers are literally full of lies--there is article after article about how the "science is in," how vaccines are "proven" to not be linked with autism (no such proof exists), how Wakefield lied in a study to link MMR with autism (it wasn't a study, it was a case series, and it said very clearly, "we have NOT proved a causal association with MMR and autism").  I've even seen SEVERAL newspaper articles saying that Wakefield's study linked thimerosal in the MMR with autism (MMR does not and never has contained thimerosal, and Wakefield's case series never mentioned thimerosal).  

 

The press reports every year that vaccines are safe, and that thimerosal has been "removed.".No mention is made of the 1297 cases of admitted and compensated vaccine-induced permanent brain damage.  No mention is made of the many studies linking vaccines with autoimmune disease, asthma, diabetes, lupus, MS, etc. No mention is made of the fact that 90% of the flu shots available are thimerosal-preserved.  No mention is made of the fact that the adult versions of the vaccines given in the US are still thimerosal-preserved, nor of the fact that the thimerosal-preserved pediatric vaccines are still being made in the US--and shipped to third-world countries, where autism and autoimmune disease rates are suddently on the rise.

 

Flu shots are urged in every news media, in every drug store, on every corner.  Businesses offer financial incentives to "get your flu shot."  No mention is made anywhere of the recent studies showing that the flu shot is as effective as...a placebo.  No mention is made of the possible risks of this vaccine.  None whatever. It even says in the package insert "safety and efficacy not determined in eldery and pediatric populations."  The answer to recent studies showing especial lack of efficacy in the elderly?  Give them a DOUBLE shot.  No mention is made of the increase in reports of severe adverse effects in those getting the double shot.

 

Those who refuse, delay, or even QUESTION vaccines are vilified.  Parents have had children taken by various government services for refusing vaccines. California just passed a bill allowing children as young as 12 years old to be given hepatitis B vaccine, Gardasil, and other "services" relating to sexual activity WITHOUT PARENTAL KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT.  The press blames each and every outbreak of a "vaccine-preventable disease" on the unvaccinated, in spite of the fact that the vast majority of those come down with these diseases are fully vaccinated.

 

Just like in the 1930's, it's all about fear-mongering, and finding a group to blame, a group whose removal from the situation will result in increased profits to others.

 

So, just like in the 1930's, we need to ask ourselves:  who is threatened by someone turning down a flu shot, Gardasil, Rotavirus vaccine, etc??  What is being threatened?  Not their health, that's for sure. 

 

As always, we need to follow the money trail, because THAT'S what is being threatened, and THAT is what is being used to force compliance.  Vaccines are a multi-billion dollar business.  Money is used as the motivating factor for vaccine compliance rates in medical practices, in businesses (health insurance companies offer discounts for companies with 100% vaccine compliance rates), and health insurance rates.

 

The financial conflict of interest is EVERYWHERE.  The former head of the CDC is now president of Merck's vaccine division.  The head of Reuter's is on the board of Merck.  The Murdochs are on the board of Glaxo, AND own and run their own vaccine testing facility.  The doctors who teach in medical schools are also paid consultants with pharmaceutical companies--usually with SEVERAL pharmaceutical companies.  The CME (Continuing Medical Education) courses required for doctors' board certification are directly run by pharmaceutical companies.

And all the studies that purport to show how "safe" vaccines are are in some way financially tied to the very industry that profits from their sale.  This is known as "tobacco science," for obvious reasons.

 

The really sad thing is, we haven't changed at all in the last 80 years.  Only the group being targeted has changed.  The motivations, the methods--all the same.

 



 

 



Wow. So, a public health campaign is equivalent to targeted genocide?
Kanna and DoubleDouble like this.
WildKingdom is offline  
#22 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktreemama View Post


So to sum up-a bunch of privileged first world Moms fapping on the Internet about vaccines are drawing parallels between themselves and the slaughter of six million people?
GROSS.


It was one person who brought up Nazis - so saying a bunch is a little out of order.  

purslaine is offline  
#23 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can we please not get off focus... 

 

I know you had reasons taximom5, but I think mentioning those words just gives fodder to those who would like to hate and not discuss. 

 

I would like to know if people think the mainstream media is increasing attacks on non-vaxers in the last few years, as I have not followed the issue very long myself, and if so, why?

 

Slmommy is offline  
#24 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I think that is because the cornerstone of Non-vaxxing is parental choice.  Hence we are tolerant of those who choose differently.  

 

The cornerstone of vaxxing is not parental choice (although many parents and certainly most if not all vaxxers on MDC do chose vaxxing as opposed to it being a default).  The cornerstone of vaxxing is public health and not  choice.  Indeed some vaxxers seem to think we should be forced to vax our kids, and many laws around schools and the like do make non-vaxxing difficult.

 

 


This was insightful to me, thank you. You are right, most non-vaxers have made a choice and support the ability to choose, same with sel/delayed. Some vaxers also make the choice and support ability to choose, but not all - vax is default. 

 

My DD has had some vaccines. I'm not sure how many more she will have in the future. I really don't care too much about anyone else's vaccine status, (other than the fact oral polio is standard in the country I'm living in - main reason my DD got IP).

 

Slmommy is offline  
#25 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned
 
stik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is slate part of the mainstream media now?

 

In my 14 years on parenting boards, the vaccine debate has raged along a small patch of well-trodden ground with few substantive changes in content.  If the volume appears to have gone up lately, I think it's mainly because larger groups of people have suddenly realized that the web is a thing where people talk about stuff.  Back in the day before the MDC crash of the early-oughts, when MDC was working hard to be as big as hipmama, traditional journalists had no reason to look in on our little conversations about babies.  Doctors were very worried about vaccine compliance, but they hadn't actually gone and read what people wrote on message boards about it.  And, to be fair to them, it would have been hard to do.  Back then, a thread started on MDC at midnight would have 10 posts by 1 am, and be languishing on the third page of recent posts by sunrise.  It's a lot easier to follow the conversation now that the pace has slowed somewhat.  No one's posted on the "New to Vax Research" forum for almost two whole days.  A single grad student could read the whole thing in an afternoon and have time left over to check the citations.  

Marnica and DoubleDouble like this.
stik is offline  
#26 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned
 
stik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post



It was one person who brought up Nazis - so saying a bunch is a little out of order.  

 

 

It's one person with two "likes" and a reply that says "totally agree."  She's not alone.

Super~Single~Mama and Kanna like this.
stik is offline  
#27 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

 

I would like to know if people think the mainstream media is increasing attacks on non-vaxers in the last few years, as I have not followed the issue very long myself, and if so, why?

 



Quickly (as I do not have much time at this moment)  I think the internet plays a large part in this.  There were probably always people who thought non-vaxxers were Crazy with a capital "C" - but they did not have a public forum to get their message of non-tolerance out - or other people to band together with on their focus.  

 

I do suspect there is more venom at the moment (in addition to the above mentioned forum for their thought). I have some ideas and will write more tomorrow - but would love to read what other people have to say.  Good topic - and you are not the only one has noticed a fair bit of venom towards non-vaxxers.  

purslaine is offline  
#28 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

 

 

It's one person with two "likes" and a reply that says "totally agree."  She's not alone.



Not necessarily.  That post was large - there might be other stuff they like about it.  shrug.gif

purslaine is offline  
#29 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned
 
stik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post



Quickly (as I do not have much time at this moment)  I think the internet plays a large part in this.  There were probably always people who thought non-vaxxers were Crazy with a capital "C" - but they did not have a public forum to get their message of non-tolerance out - or other people to band together with on their focus.  

 

I do suspect there is more venom at the moment (in addition to the above mentioned forum for their thought). I have some ideas and will write more tomorrow - but would love to read what other people have to say.  Good topic - and you are not the only one has noticed a fair bit of venom towards non-vaxxers.  



I've also noticed a fair bit of venom towards those who vaccinate lately.  I think there's just more venom being spewed.

stik is offline  
#30 of 312 Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Is slate part of the mainstream media now?

 

In my 14 years on parenting boards, the vaccine debate has raged along a small patch of well-trodden ground with few substantive changes in content.  If the volume appears to have gone up lately, I think it's mainly because larger groups of people have suddenly realized that the web is a thing where people talk about stuff.  Back in the day before the MDC crash of the early-oughts, when MDC was working hard to be as big as hipmama, traditional journalists had no reason to look in on our little conversations about babies.  Doctors were very worried about vaccine compliance, but they hadn't actually gone and read what people wrote on message boards about it.  And, to be fair to them, it would have been hard to do.  Back then, a thread started on MDC at midnight would have 10 posts by 1 am, and be languishing on the third page of recent posts by sunrise.  It's a lot easier to follow the conversation now that the pace has slowed somewhat.  No one's posted on the "New to Vax Research" forum for almost two whole days.  A single grad student could read the whole thing in an afternoon and have time left over to check the citations.  


I would consider Slate to be, yes, they used to have a permanent link from MSN's site, although that is no longer there, it was for years. I don't know their current relationship.

 

That's interesting these boards used to be more active. Several days ago I posted a whole index of product inserts in the New to Vax Research forum and no one has made any comment. I guess it's just more fun to jump on and make comments when someone says something controversial. 

 

 

 

Slmommy is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off