not all non-vaxxers are alike….. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For fun, and for the sake of lurkers, I though we could do a thread that shows (or maybe doesn't show) that we are not all clones of each other.  We could also get to know each other better.  smile.gif

Here a few questions, culled from what I think are common stereotypes:

1.  Are you religious?  Christian conservative?

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre?

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth?

5.  Discuss you understanding of science

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies?

#2 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

To answer my own questions:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

For fun, and for the sake of lurkers, I though we could do a thread that shows (or maybe doesn't show) that we are not all clones of each other.  We could also get to know each other better.  smile.gif

No. I am probably closest to an agnostic theist  (there's a mouthful).  I am pretty sure there is a god of some sort, but I do not follow any religion or doctrine.

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre?

In Canada, I am centre left.  In the USA, I bet I would be considered fairly far left, lol.  In general I really like  the government  (although I detest Harper (shudder)).  They have led us to being one of the most prosperous, peaceful countries in the world.  I don't agree with everything they do,  but overall I am happy.  

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general?

I think western medicine does some things really well (emergencies is one) and gets mixed reviews on others (high C-Section rates would be an example)

I HSed my older kids until they wanted to go to school (teen years).  My youngest is still HSed.  I am not anti schools, but I am picky - I do not live an area with a great variety of schools.  I had 2 hospital births and one homebirth.  I am not comfortable with UC, but I do not begrudged any woman the choice (except where she or the baby has a condition where we know a UC is dangerous - in which case a UC is pretty neglectful)

I do not have a science background.  I am reasonably well educated.  As the parent, I have judged myself capable of making this decision, and that is what matters.

I think some are great, some are hogwash and some are in between.

#3 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM

I don't know if I'm technically a non-vaxer, but can I play?

1. Not religious

2. Government - ugh, centerish I suppose.

3. My faith in western med is faltering more and more because of my own health issues. Maybe I am seeing the wrong drs. 

4. UC'ed, no plans of homeschool.

5. My understanding is that science is always changing. 100/50/20 years ago some things we thought then are laughable now. (oh, you meant in educational background? I did not major in a scientific field, but don't think that I am incapable of researching or understanding some basics)

6. I do not know much about alternative health remedies, but plan on exploring more options.

#4 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM

I was raise Christian and have spent my adult life asking questions.  I do believe in God, but I really don't like religion, 

I'm probably a little right of Center, On some of the social issues I support some of the left ideas, but I'm all for a small government.  Go RON PAUL!!

I think it is great at saving lives from trauma and infection.  But I think they are horrible at finding the cause of something, looking at anything that's not medicine.  Cancer treatment is the biggest way they have failed.  The medicine they use hasn't changed in decades and it is forced on you, but people who try to give change your diet are brought up on charges.  If I'm ever in a car accident I'll be thankful, but if I get cancer, I'm running to Mexico.

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth?  I thought about homeschooling and may have if my child didn't need some early childhood support or was really shy, but being the opposite of that, she needs other children to thrive.  I love the idea of homebirth, but needed c-sections, extended breastfeeding till about 3. 

While I didn't study it, I do have some training of the human body, muscles, lymphatic system, I know that stress can cause crazy damage to the body.  I think is crazy that modern medicine refuses to acknowledge how the body works with some of the treatment.  I know that they way the find the virus in vaccinces is to actually collect samples from sick people, spit, blood, spinal fluid then grow that in some type of biological medium (polio was grown in monkey kidneys), then it is "cleaned /filtered".  I believe we are to the point where we thought we could clean up our world and in doing so, we pushed the survival of the fittest bacteria into some dangerous places. 

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies?   I'm really not into homeopothy, Although I have seen the a version of the bach flower work wonders.  I do believe herbs help the body, fenagreek helps with breast milk as does oatmeal.  I know the one is a food and one is an herb, but they are both plants, so plants can help the body heal.  

Done with diapers!!

#5 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM

I am an atheist.

I mostly lean libertarian.

I think it is a good thing in general, but that the US is way overmedicated.  I prefer to treat most of my family's illnesses naturally but don't hesitate to take them to an MD when necessary.

None of the above.

5.  Discuss your understanding of science.

I'm not really sure how to answer this.  I am not a scientist but I am not an idiot.

I think they are sufficient in some cases and inappropriate for others.  It just depends on the situation.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Not religious and about as far from Christian conservative as you can get. It would take too long to explain my views of the nature of life and spirituality, so I will leave at that.

Not much. I guess I would describe myself as libertarian.

Generally speaking, with the exception of trauma care, they have it all wrong.

My first child was a csec, my middle child was a midwife attended HBAV and my third child was UC, and that was 12 years ago!

I am very distrustful of the medical science because I truly believe the whole basis of the "science" is wrong, it is the modern day equivalent of the Four Humors.

Most of it is relative truth, and just a step above current conventional medicine. But at least it acknowledges that we are more than just biological machines, or that the body is the enemy and disease needs to be fought and conquered with all means possible however violent.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

1.  Are you religious?  Christian conservative? I am spiritual, enjoy learning about meditation and some Buddhist faiths, but consider myself an atheist.

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre? For most issues, I find myself quite left of the center, but I try to keep an open mind.

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general I don't have the time or energy to answer this properly, so I'll just repeat what others have said.  I think western medicine is the way to go with certain things like broken bones, sepsis, NECESSARY surgery, etc... but for most things they are pretty backwards.  

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth?  My son is pre-school age, but I will not homeschool him.  I did birth him at home and plan to have his little bro at home as well.  I have no idea what UC birth is ;o)

5.  Discuss you understanding of science  I have a liberal arts degree without much science, but I did study and receive a post-graduate certificate in Whole Health Education.  I have learned to navigate a scientific study with success, and have studied A&P, and Bio, and nutrition a bit in anticipation of a nursing degree that I no longer want.  

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies?  I have used for my son, chiropractic, acupuncture, and homeopathy, with great results.  I have used chiro and acu for myself and also had wonderful results.  There are some alternative modalities that I think are silly, but that might be from lack of knowledge.  

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#8 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

1.  Are you religious?  Christian conservative? Love Jesus..not terribly "religious", not conservative

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre?  I agree with things from both sides, and I have a little Libertarian in me as well....some might call me confused, but I call it independent. ;)

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general? It has it's place, for sure, but it's not the end all be all of health the way it's touted.

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth? Kids are too young..looking into homeschool. Natural births in hosptial with an OB

5.  Discuss you understanding of science- not sure how to answer that. I'm not an expert but not an idiot (like the other poster said!)

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies? All for them. We use homeopathic remedies (mostly Hyland's products) for our kids before going to medicine,  and all of us see a chiropractor, including both my toddlers.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#9 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

#10 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

jules33…..

UC stand for unassisted childbirth.  

#11 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I'm Jewish, but not particularly religious.

Depends on the issue.  

Western medicine is absolutely brilliant when it comes to emergency care, orthopedics, vision and hearing care, physical therapy, and some (maybe most) surgeries), etc.  I think for most (not all) other areas, Western medicine is completely centered on treating symptoms with drugs which mask the symptoms, but don't address the cause of the symptoms.  In most cases, I believe this to benefit only those who sell the drugs.  There are cases where the drugs can either lifesaving (such as diabetes, but again the drugs don't address the cause) or make a huge difference in quality of life (such as rheumatoid arthritis and other painful conditions), but again, if the CAUSE of the symptoms had been addressed early on, those drugs may well have been unnecessary.

No, no, and not sure--does UC birth mean no forceps, no C-section, no medical pain management, no hospital--what?

5.  Discuss your understanding of science 

My degrees are not in science, though I have taken many courses (my interests lay elsewhere).  I am the daughter of a scientist, the wife of a scientist, the sibling of scientists, and had to take crash courses in chemistry, immunology, virology, and biology when our oldest child was diagnosed with several medical issues.

Depends on the remedy, depends on the practitioner. I have never tried homeopathic remedies because, to my mind, they fall short in at least some of the same ways alleopathic health remedies do--they assume that the body can't handle the problem on its own.  In our family, we take nothing for colds, fevers, and viruses.  We do medicate for headaches if the pain is bad, but we only use about half of the recommended dosages.  

I have seen 2 chiropractors.  One had me thoroughly convinced that all chiropractors were quacks.  The second (to whom my DOCTOR sent me!) took away about 85% of my very significant pain after a fall down the stairs (broken coccyx and 2 vertebrae knocked out of place).

I have seen an acupuncturist with very mixed results--I had two concurrent injuries (was hit by a car), and was hoping for pain relief from the worse one, which didn't happen.  But the not-so-bad injury pain disappeared immediately.  Go figure.

#12 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I was raised a very strict christian, but now i am Wiccan and pretty much detest religion in general. Beliefs are one thing, dogmas another. 

Far left, I am very disappointed in the American government, and constantly threaten to move to Canada

Fine for emergencies or serious illness. Otherwise I don't bother. 

Homeschool and birthcenter births as close to a home experience as possible. 

While not having gone to school specifically for science, I like to believe I am very well educated in terms of science and how things work. Medical sciance ion the otherhand extremely disappoints me. 

I believe that most natural remedies our ancestors used should still be used. Food and plants are still the best medicine. 

#13 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nope

I dont trust the government to keep us healthy. I think I am more left wing/libertarian.

Western medicine is excellent for trauma. Not so good for preventative medicine.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

5.  Discuss you understanding of science.

I have a diploma in Chemical Technology, and I was a Quality Control Chemist at a pharmaceutical plant for 4 years.

They have their place. I use tylenol if there is a lot of pain, but other than that I let the body heal itself. We see the chiro for regular adjustments.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#14 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM

taximom5, UC is unassisted childbirth, as in no dr/mw, at home on your own, or with husband/family/friends, etc. pretty much out of medical setting and no assistance from healthcare professionals.

#15 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Thanks, slmommy!

#16 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM

To start, I am not technically a non vaxxer... my first baby is still in the womb and our plan is to not vax in the foreseeable future, but it may not be off the table entirely. Nothing before say, 2, though for sure.

I'm an agnostic atheist

I am left of center in Canada. In practice, I am extremely apolitical, although I have opinions (of course) when certain issues come up.

I don't have a lot of experience with much of it. A lot of the flaws I see are in implementation or staffing issues here. Wait times, etc. I mostly avoid medication, because I personally have crazy side effects to many things.

I am planning a homebirth now, I'll let you know in a few months if I succeed. My midwives are able to do either. Don't UC and I wouldn't. Homeschooling is a possibility, I will base it on what is best for our kids at that time. 

I don't have a scientific background. I do research extensively any topic that interests me, and thus have some lay knowledge of specific subjects.

In general I am skeptical. 

#17 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM

This is fun.  I'm enjoying reading all the replies. 

1.  Are you religious?  Christian conservative? I was raised strictly Catholic and went into a convent after college... which effectively made me leave the Catholic church.  (No disrespect intended.)  I go to an Episcopal church now that's fairly liberal.  Teach Sunday school, etc.

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre?  Not a fan of what's happening in American government.  I'm independent, but with libertarian leanings.  I like the gov to stay out of my business.

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general.  Great for emergency medicine and not much more.  I do think antibiotics have their place but are grossly overused. 

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth?  First son is in public school Childside setting (Montessori-ish) til second grade.  Hoping to have the money by then to put him in alternative schooling, since he does not want to be strictly home schooled.  Younger son is in a Christian pre-K that I wish went into elementary age.  Both children born with aid of midwives.  First in a hospital (disaster); second in a birth center (very healing).

5.  Discuss you understanding of science  I'm a theatre director for a living.  So science doesn't come to me naturally.  ;) Lots of homeschooling for me.  I have a 1000 hours logged in vaccine theory and pediatric immunology.  Something I work on everyday.

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies?  Most of the true healing in my family has come from the alternative realm.  My older son is mildly autistic and we don't do chemicals.  Herbal, homeopathy, chiropractic, acupuncture, etc.  So we are broke.  But healthy.  ;)

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#18 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM

This is interesting. More libertarian leanings going though, more so than anything else thus far. *of those replying*

#19 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

1.  Are you religious?  Christian conservative? I am probably best described as a "Sydney anglican" 

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  I think it has it's problems but, overall, I think the system works reasonably well. Are you right or left of centre? In Australia I am left of centre. I don't know enough about US politics to place myself on that spectrum.

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general? I have devoted the last 20 years of my life to western medicine so I probably have more faith in it than some (many?) on MDC. That said, I have also spent 20 years seeing it's flaws from the inside so it is by no means a blind or unquestioning faith. 

4.  Do you homeschool?  No school-age children yet. We will probably send out child(ren) to our local Steiner school but I would certainly consider HS if there were no schools we were happy with. Homebirth?  No, but I would if I could find a midwife I was comfortable with. UC birth? No.

5.  Discuss you understanding of science Well I was always hopeless at physics lol.gif But I guess this question is asking about human A&P, pathophysiology, immunology etc? Pretty good I would say, after this long. And, as this always seems to come up, some of my university work included teaching students how to read and critique research.

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies? If the research supports them then I am very pro. If the research hasn't been done then I'll give them a try. If the research doesn't support them then I'm not a fan. I have tried various alternative therapies at various times with differing degrees of success.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#20 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

First off, my boys (9 & 6.5) were vaxed, though the 6yr old was delayed vaxed, then some omitted altogether after some reactions I didn't like.  My almost 5 yr old dd was not vaxed and will not be.

1. Are you religious?  Christian conservative?    I am Christian, yes, religious, somewhat, and conservative depends on the subject.

2.  What do you think of the government in general?  In general I think the government meddles far too much......

3.  What do you think of Western medicine in general?  Western medicine is great for things like joint replacements, vision surgeries, life saving measures (asthma drugs fall into this category), and the like, but HORRID for prevention and maintaining health.  Western "drugs"........ are ways to make money while keeping the public ill to make more money....   There are definately some wonderful exceptions, ....  It is a balance.......

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth?  I homeschooled my kids til Sept, when I divorced and made the painful (but good) decision to put them in public school.  We have found a fantastic public school that is very academically advanced, welcomed my kids as former homeschoolers, and is so far excellent with our allergy issues.  We'll see for sure next year when my dd gets there, but so far, their policies on self-carrying epipens, letting the kids heat up the lunches they bring from home, doing whatever needed in the classroom to keep them safe ... they are doing a fantastic job.         All 3 births were c-section, first was medically necessary (ds got stuck in the birth canal), second was "just b/c I'd had one previously", and 3rd was supposed to be a vbac but dd came early after months of preterm labor and turns out neither of us would have survived a vbac.  And yes, this is a case where Western medicine is excellent - at saving the lives of moms and babies that would otherwise have been lost.

5.  Discuss your understanding of science.    I have a decent background in science, as my mom was a science teacher, and my dad worked in animal science..... which is probably why I have always chosen to research EVERYTHING on my own and make up my own mind based on what I think is best with the knowledge I currently have.

6.  What do you think of alternative health remedies?   Love them!  I've used chiropractic for myself and my kids since they were born (I've gone most of my life when needed), and always prefer homeopathic or natural remedies over Western meds when it is safe to do so.  I use garlic as a natural antibiotic, and as many natural remedies with myself and my kids as is safe with our food/enviro allergies.  It is a delicate balance.....   

#21 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

1.  Are you religious? Yes, very. I'm LDS (mormon)

2.  what do you think of the government in general?  Are you right or left of centre? I really hate politics. Dull at best, infuriating at worst. I'd probably be somewhere in the center or libertarian. My entire family is very split, politically. My parents and one sibling are very conservative, and my other siblings very liberal. As the youngest, I've had the privilege of listening to them try and indoctrinate me to their side. Its left me feeling a little bit of "ALL of you people are crazy!" and a little bit of "do you people realize how much common ground you actually have?" I think it gave me a fairly unique open minded perspective. I'll hear out either side with interest and in general have a hard time committing to either one. 

3.  what do you think of western medicine in general? It depends. With open minded care providers who are open to further learning and considerate of patient choice, its great. My kids see a regular pediatrician. We go to the dr when we feel its necessary. And I gotta say, I am VERY grateful to have an ER and ambulance if necessary when my kid gets a head injury and acts funny. Or runs into the wall and busts open his forehead. Or has the nastiest yeast diaper rash I've ever seen in my life.. thank goodness for diflucan when the natural remedies didn't work. My personal opinion, antibiotics (NOT vaccines) deserve the spot as best medical advancement of our time! Overused at times? Yes! But I wonder how many times over I'd be dead without them? (would I have survived my ruptured appendix as a child?) Or how long would that bout of mastitis have lasted, and what complications might I have had, if a simple, inexpensive antibiotic wasn't there? 

4.  Do you homeschool?  Homebirth?  UC birth? I home birth, my dd goes to preschool and ds1 will start next year. I did a lot of soul searching and decided to enroll dd in kindy for next year with the option of taking it 1 year at a time, and pulling her out to home school if things aren't working out. I really hope to home school by 7th grade if not sooner. I'm willing to give elementary a chance, especially since there's some interesting alternative programs within the public schools I want to check out, but the jr high I went to, I possibly hate even more now that I look at my memories through adult eyes. Some of the things that went on were just *not okay*. 

5.  Discuss you understanding of science: Pretty open ended. Lets just say I think the way medical science is run is very different from other sciences. Technology, for example, is indisputable, and pretty darn scientific. The computer works. I may not understand the science behind it but the science is proven absolutely correct since it works. Airplanes aren't falling out of the sky.. so I'd say our understanding of physics is pretty darn good, even if I only have a basic understanding of how they fly. THAT stuff is proven. There are too many variables that simply cannot be controlled for in medical science, and way, way too much conflict of interest and profit and greed. and fear of lawsuits. So I won't blindly believe something medical just because "science says so". This is more my opinion of science than my understanding of it. 

6.  What you do think of alternative health remedies? Love 'em. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page