I've decided I'm not vaccinating but i have a question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My question is regarding Polio. 

So this is my family history: 

My maternal great grandfather had a severe case of polio crippling him before he had his 9 children, 5 out of 9 have documented cases of polio, one of them my great aunt, died at age 12. My grandmother slept in the same bed, and most likely had a very slight case of polio as well. 

My curiosity is whether or not having a family history could make one more susceptible (I know there aren't any documented cases of Polio now) say from a vaccinated child being around my non-vax child. Everything else I am very confident in, but am uneasy about this one, just because of my family history. 

#2 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You can't be the only one with that kind of family history. And yet, there hasn't been a single case of polio in the U.S. (other than cases caused by the old, live virus vaccine), since 1979.

#3 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Viruses aren't handed down from one generation to the next in a family,( like a piece of furniture), making your kids more susceptible...polio is a virus that is transmitted thru feces, and contact with infected phlegm of another person and person to person contact.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002375/

I would think a history of polio in the family is no precursor to your kids getting it or any other disease your family members contracted back in the day.   

#4 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

Viruses aren't handed down from one generation to the next in a family,( like a piece of furniture), making your kids more susceptible...polio is a virus that is transmitted thru feces, and contact with infected phlegm of another person and person to person contact.

I don't think the OP was asking if the virus could be handed down, but if there might be hereditary factors increasing SUSCEPTIBILITY to polio.

I would say, yes, there could be familial susceptibility, both genetically (such as a predisposition towards celiac disease, more on that in a bit) and environmentally (like family traditions of eating certain unhealthy diets, lack of exercise, or living in particularly sunshine-deprived areas--more on THAT In a minute, too).

If one has a genetic susceptibility to celiac disease, a vaccne might trigger it--which could lead to an increasing spiral of autoimmune disorders. The paralytic component of polio, in those afflicted that way (which was a minority, by the way) is also autoimmune, which doesn't mean that if you have one, you will have the other--but once you develop an autoimmune disorder, your chances of developing others increases monumentally.

In fact, there are now theories that paralytic polio has just been renamed ("acute flaccid paralysis," Guillaine-Barre syndrome, MS, etc), because the vaccine manufacturers don't want anyone to know that the vaccines are imperfect.

Vitamin deficiencies are common in autoimmune disorders, particularly B12 and D. They are also strongly linked with celiac disease, which is far more likely to be triggered in someone with D deficiency, but which can also, in itself, CAUSE vitamin deficiencies.

Vaccine reactions can cause "acute flaccid paralysis," Guillaine-Barre, and MS, among other autoimmune disorders.

I'd say, yes, your family history would raise the likelihood of some kind of health problem that can cause acute flaccid paralysis--which may or may not be polio, and which may or may not be caused by a reaction to vaccines.

Much more needs to be learned about these possibilities--but until the people funding, directing, interpreting, and marketing the studies are DIFFERENT form the people profiting from the sale of the vaccine in the study, nothing will be learned, and what has been learned witll be ignored and/or buried if it threatens said profits.

In the meantime, I am assuming (from painful experience) that the likelihood of vaccine reaction is higher than the likelihood of developing. PARALYTIC case of polio (remember, the vast majority of people who contracted polio did NOT have paralysis).

#5 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, this is exactly what I was wondering. I have an autoimmune disease, which i strongly believe was aggravated by my childhood vaccinations. I also have severe B12 deficiency which causes seizures. So naturally I am concerned for my children. 

I really do wish that scientists would do more research on what these vaccines actually do to our bodies. 

#6 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

If you are taking acid blockers (like Prilosec), that can cause B12 deficiency, as they block the acid needed to properly process B12. 

For me vaccines triggered celiac, which caused nearly asymptomatic intestinal malabsorption, resulting in anemia, and D, B12 and calcium deficiencies. 

#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have never taken any acid blockers. Actually whys interesting is while I had severe b12 deficiency since I got pregnant I have been fine. My b12 is normal. And the "seizures started around when I got my booster shots! Its now been over 10 years since I've been vaccinated.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page