And now for something completly niave... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So I would love to see some statistics on how rarly mumps occurs in teenage boys and it leads to sterility. Or on how often rubella occurs during pregnancy...

I really want to keep my kids  completly vax free but I would like to allow them to make their own decission when they are older regarding the MMR and really wish it was avaliable as a single innoculation.

be good family...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5905a1.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5919a7.htm

Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

*Hug* Thanks a million for talking some sense! I appreciate the articles. So in the mumps out break 88% had been vaxed and none of the teenage boys ended up sterile!?!?  Why did I let my mom convince me of the old wives tail that if a teenager gets mumps he'll be sterile? Okay well I guess I'll just let my now one year old use his own brain when he hits puberty instead of making him get vaxxed then!

be good family...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

So I would love to see some statistics on how rarly mumps occurs in teenage boys and it leads to sterility. Or on how often rubella occurs during pregnancy...

I really want to keep my kids  completly vax free but I would like to allow them to make their own decission when they are older regarding the MMR and really wish it was avaliable as a single innoculation.

As for Rubella (or CRS) ~ the critical timing is the first 12 weeks of pregnancy when deformities can happen. After the initial first trimester the risk associated with CRS is drastically deminished. Rubella is also only moderately contagious ~ so a pregnant woman would have to be in direct contact with the individual who has Rubella in order to contract it. I am not sure if there are any stats out there or studies...because the chances now are so very low. Rubella in anyone else though (not pregnant) is completely mild and unremarkable.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post
. Or on how often rubella occurs during pregnancy...

(I don't know if you are in the U.S., these are U.S. stats)

Quote:
 In contrast, between 2001 and 2005, there were a total of 68 reported cases of rubella and five reported cases of Congenital rubella syndrome, . And in 2006, there were just 11 reported cases of rubella and only one case of CRS. 

I started to look at other countries also. India has a high rate of immunity also. 

Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for all the awesome information:) I appreciate the knowledge and opinions alike!

be good family...

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List