Hospital told me if I do not receive Vitamin K injecion, I must deliver at another hospital? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I spoke with Hugh Chatham Memorial hospital in North Carolina today, and after a nurse in the baby center previously told me I could refuse the Vitamin K injection if I let them know beforehand, another nurse said after speaking to the hospital manager, that I could not refuse this, only the Hep B and if I was determined to not have it, I would have to deliver at another hospital. I am supposed to be induced in EIGHT days, now I have very little options. I have yet to speak to my OB, but can they really force this on me, or refuse to deliver my baby if I don't comply? I honestly get the feeling they are lying and hoping I will just go along, because I read online the North Carolina Exemption information online which stated, along with the FIRST nurse I spoke with, that I could indeed refuse it as long as I had a specific birth plan and provided the hospital with it before delivery. I am just wondering if the hospital as the right to refuse to deliver my baby because I do not want the Vitamin K injection. I don't want to get there, refuse it, and run into some type of legal issues.

#2 of 14 Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Can you bring the exemption to the hospital tomorrow and speak to the charge nurse about it?

Is another hospital an option based on your location and insurance? If so, call them and find out what their procedures are regarding vit. K

If you don't mind me asking, is there a medical need for the induction (not sure if you're early, past due, illness, etc), but if you can put it off, that may give you more time to straighten this all out. 

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#3 of 14 Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM

If they still give you trouble tomorrow, tell them you want to speak with the hospital administrator and patient advocate. I highly doubt they can turn you away for refusing a vit K injection (and certainly wouldn't be able to if you are able to show up in labor--should baby decide to come before the induction).

member234098 likes this.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 AM

I don't know much about this and you may have more luck in the birth forums, or even tribal area...? Vitamin K isn't really a vaccination. Would they compromise with oral vitamin K? 

#5 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM

I know my hospital couldn't refuse us delivery there, but it's immediate call to CPS if you decline vitamin K injection.  (I had my second kid at a birth center out of state just to avoid the issue.)

I agree with speaking to the hospital administrator with a patient advocate on hand.

Also... while I hate to be paranoid, if they agree to let you decline the shot, don't let that baby out of your sight.  Nurses don't always follow a birth plan, and sometimes blatantly ignore it, which I had happen with my firstborn.  You don't want to be worrying about this stuff when you have your baby.  Calling around to other hospitals is also a good idea.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#6 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post

I know my hospital couldn't refuse us delivery there, but it's immediate call to CPS if you decline vitamin K injection.  (I had my second kid at a birth center out of state just to avoid the issue.)

I agree with speaking to the hospital administrator with a patient advocate on hand.

Also... while I hate to be paranoid, if they agree to let you decline the shot, don't let that baby out of your sight.  Nurses don't always follow a birth plan, and sometimes blatantly ignore it, which I had happen with my firstborn.  You don't want to be worrying about this stuff when you have your baby.  Calling around to other hospitals is also a good idea.

Bygones75 -  really???  Is this standard in more hospitals? 

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#7 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM

NY state has like no way around it. Sadly. Easy peasy with my kids in CA and CO - just sign a form and done.

#8 of 14 Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

These links may possibly be informative:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1233224/nc-rules-for-vit-k-eyedrops

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/northcarolina.htm

You may wish to consult your pediatrician for his/her feedback. I did so and it was extremely helpful in order to obtain the care we wanted for our son after the birth.

#9 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer78 View Post

Yup, NYS dictates newborns must receive vitamin K before leaving the hospital.  Luckily Danbury Birth Center (CT) is only 45 minutes away and I had a great experience there.  My insurance doesn't pay for home birth, but many of my NY mom friends are going that option so they don't have to deal with the mandated vitamin K and eye drops.  You can't decline the latter here either.

#10 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer78 View Post

My second baby was given the hep B vax without my knowledge and AGAINST my specific, pediatrician-signed request that was in my chart.

The nurse had said, "Oh, why don't you take a shower, he's asleep now, we'll watch him in the nursery for you."

When they brought him back, he had a little bandage on his leg, and they asked me to sign the consent form.  When I refused, they said it was too late, and that I HAD to sign it, because they'd already given it to him.

I refused to let my third baby out of my arms the entire time we were in the hospital.

member234098 likes this.
#11 of 14 Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

My second baby was given the hep B vax without my knowledge and AGAINST my specific, pediatrician-signed request that was in my chart.

The nurse had said, "Oh, why don't you take a shower, he's asleep now, we'll watch him in the nursery for you."

When they brought him back, he had a little bandage on his leg, and they asked me to sign the consent form.  When I refused, they said it was too late, and that I HAD to sign it, because they'd already given it to him.

I refused to let my third baby out of my arms the entire time we were in the hospital.

hug2.gif  Yup.  

The excuses are unreal too.  They took Thomas away and gave him formula, which was expressly against my birth plan.  When I said so, they replied, "well, his blood sugar was a bit low."  So I asked why they didn't just let me nurse him, and the nurse shrugged and said, "Let the experts determine what's best for your baby."

I learned my lesson, and I've gotten a lot tougher standing up for my kids and my rights.  Can't be too vigilant, unfortunately.

member234098 likes this.

#12 of 14 Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

hug2.gif  Yup.  

The excuses are unreal too.  They took Thomas away and gave him formula, which was expressly against my birth plan.  When I said so, they replied, "well, his blood sugar was a bit low."  So I asked why they didn't just let me nurse him, and the nurse shrugged and said, "Let the experts determine what's best for your baby."

I learned my lesson, and I've gotten a lot tougher standing up for my kids and my rights.  Can't be too vigilant, unfortunately.

His BLOOD SUGAR was a bit low? How exactly did they determine that? Did they draw blood? If so, why? That's technically an invasive procedure, one they have to get your consent for....
#13 of 14 Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM

I lost a lot of blood during delivery, and was so out of it.  Because Thomas was pre-term (not terribly, just 36 weeks) they said they needed to have the neonatologist take a look at him.  I didn't think to protest.  In hindsight, I should have told the nurses that if the doc wanted to look at him, he could do it in our room.  But like I said, I was not myself.

In any case, he came back 3 HOURS later.  By that point I was freaking out and had demanded several times to have the baby back.  It was nuts.  No, they didn't ask for consent to draw blood.  Does being pre-term preclude that?  I don't know.  I sure as hell wasn't going back there in any case.

#14 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I lost a lot of blood during delivery, and was so out of it.  Because Thomas was pre-term (not terribly, just 36 weeks) they said they needed to have the neonatologist take a look at him.  I didn't think to protest.  In hindsight, I should have told the nurses that if the doc wanted to look at him, he could do it in our room.  But like I said, I was not myself.

In any case, he came back 3 HOURS later.  By that point I was freaking out and had demanded several times to have the baby back.  It was nuts.  No, they didn't ask for consent to draw blood.  Does being pre-term preclude that?  I don't know.  I sure as hell wasn't going back there in any case.

Sorry to thread hijack...but this kind of happened to me but luckily DH was with the baby non-stop due to my directive so they did not give DS2 any formula (but they wanted to...and would have had DH not been there to protest immediately). I was induced at 36 weeks due to ICP ~ when I went in to be induced, I was already in active labor so they went ahead with my having him that night (we had thought we would be induced the next morning)...I had not eaten anything since lunch that day as I went to the dr at 3 and was admitted at 4...so by the time DS2 was born ~ we were both hungry. While they were cleaning me up and getting me moved...my father-in-law came running in to say that DS2 had low blood sugar and they needed me immediately. Thankfully all we had to do was lay still with him on me for about 30 mins and his blood sugar went right back up. Later I learned that combined with DH's directive to NOT give formula and them seeing that my pediatrician's wife was my lactation consultant who is known to let them have it if they give formula...they backed off considerably! But it is amazing how they try to force things on you even when you clearly state your directives because they think they know better!

member234098 likes this.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page