Leaning towards not vaccinating. Give me a push! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 was vaccinated on a selective and delayed schedule. While I felt I was making a good decision at the time, I now feel that I was overly cautious. I've also done further research, some of which makes me wonder if vaccines work at all. DD1 also had a severe peanut allergy for 6 months that suddenly disappeared. I wonder how much it has to do with messing with her immune responses early on and the fact that some vaccines might have traces of peanut (something that isn't on the label, so you wouldn't be able to just avoid the ones with it).

DD2 was born at home and hasn't had any sort of medications or vaccines. She was seen by the midwife at 2 days, 2 weeks, and 6 weeks. The last appointment was this last Friday. I feel like it's down to the wire to make my decision on vaccines and I'd like some resources. There are ones that I feel like we for sure don't need (like I didn't know there's virtually no chance of a breastfed baby that's not in daycare getting rotavirus), but others I'm on the fence about. I've read and own The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears, along with various articles and studies online. Any other book or article recommendations? Which ones really helped you change your mind or make your decision?I just don't feel right giving her vaccines at all, especially with DD1's history of the nut allergy.
member234098 likes this.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 20 Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

N

#3 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't understand what the rush is... she is 6 weeks old. You could take years to decide.... you can always choose to go vax....

These might help you get started....

http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/_blog/Hilary%27s_Desk/post/Vaccines_and_neonatal_immune_development/

3 Pages....

It has even more links you can follow...Might explain more in detail about the peanut thing for your daughter :-)

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/adverse-reactions

This is a link to a page that lists numerous Other links to follow all on one page. Such as to the National Vaccine Compensation and other federal links that will at least let you read and decide for yourself. I think if anyone is serious about looking into the issue, seeing the cause and effect, Real life cases of harm that have been awarded, what is in them etc are something that has to be looked at.

I find this old thread discussing safety really interesting as well.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/481760/do-you-know-how-vaccines-are-evaluated-for-safety-prepare-to-be-surprised

DS 12

DD 7

DD 1

member234098 likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#4 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM

You child is 6 weeks old....why do you feel "down to the wire"? You should take your time and not rush into any decisions about this. You can decide to give any vaccine at any time. Once you do it, there is no taking it back.

Lets start with which ones you are on the fence about.

and supposedly - peanut oil is a non-disclosed ingredient in some vaccines.

http://vactruth.com/2010/07/15/non-disclosed-hyper-allergenic-vaccine-adjuvant/

member234098 and purslaine like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I have found that EVERY SINGLE TIME my gut gave me a message about my kids' health (where I either suspected that something was wrong, or where what the doctor suggested just felt wrong to me), I was right.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And EVERY SINGLE TIME, the doctor was wrong.

I'd say, go with your gut on this one.

There are a gazillion of us who regret having let the doctors give our kids vaccines.

I have read very, very few testimonials from those who regret delaying vaccines, and I can't help suspecting that those few didn't really exist, but were shills from a pharmaceutical company (they were "testimonials" that appeared as comments on a blog).

I personally know many parents who regret having given their kids vaccines so soon.  I don't personally know any who regret delaying.

Ask the people you know, and see what their thoughts are.  Don't count the ones who are happy they vaxed, or happy they didn't vax, because all that means is, neither of them ran into trouble.  

Count the ones who regret whichever they chose.

#6 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM

You can always do them later.  You cannot take them back.  That is the simplest advice I can give you.

Those of us who have vaccine-damaged children could write books about why we think you should wait, but as others have said, it comes down to you: your own instincts and education.

One book that I'm reading that is fully referenced with CDC/Lancet/etc annotations is a good handbook. Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective, Neil Z. ******

Good luck.

member234098 and purslaine like this.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#7 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Have to agree that you're not down to any wire.  You have all the time in the world.

member234098 likes this.
#8 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM

I agree with pretty much everything that has already been said. Personally, I am not doing anymore vax until I am 100% sure about it... (well maybe 98%?)

Right now, I pretty much vary between 10-70% depending on the day, so no vax for as far as I can see. I did partially vax DD early on, even though I didn't feel very good about it. You should consider each vax/vpd independently, but you probably already are...

Don't feel too pressured, like others said, you can opt-in to vax at anytime. you can't opt-out after the fact. 

#9 of 20 Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post

You can always do them later.  You cannot take them back.  That is the simplest advice I can give you.

Those of us who have vaccine-damaged children could write books about why we think you should wait, but as others have said, it comes down to you: your own instincts and education.

One book that I'm reading that is fully referenced with CDC/Lancet/etc annotations is a good handbook. Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective, Neil Z. ******

Good luck.

That was the first book i ever read on the issue, back before internet.  It started my on my way to finding the truth. 

member234098 likes this.
#10 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM

www.thinktwice.com

reading the personal stories on this website is what helped me make my decision, but they have a lot of helpful information.

Expecting my baby girl Charlee on 7-21-12!  Love and Light to all the mamas out there!

#11 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I guess I was feeling "down to the wire" because with DD1 we started vaccines at 2 months. DD2 hasn't actually seen her pediatrician yet (because midwife did her initial check ups), so I was thinking that I would take her in at the same time I take DD1 in for her 3 year visit, which should be sometime this month. I like what everyone said about you can always choose to vaccinate later. For some reason my mind wasn't thinking like that. 

Also thanks for the links. That's exactly what I wanted. Especially the ones about peanut allergies. 

Since someone asked about what specific vaccines, I'll just make a list. 

Hep B - No. We don't have anyone around us with Hep B, so I see no need to do this one. 

Rotavirus - No. Breastfed and no daycare, so virtually no risk of transmission. 

DTaP - Iffy. Vaccine scares me because it seems to be particular bad in the side effects department, but pertussis also scares me. Is pertussis really that bad or is it hyped up like the flu?

Hib - Unsure. I haven't researched this one as thoroughly as the others yet. 

PCV - Unsure. I haven't researched this one as thoroughly as the others yet. 

IPV - Unsure. I haven't researched this one as thoroughly as the others yet. 

Flu - No. Didn't do it with DD1. Doesn't seem worth it to make myself sick at the slight chance I might be less sick if I get the actual thing. 

Hep A - No. Didn't do it with DD1. It's not that severe of an illness in children and I can test their immunity before they hit puberty. 

MMR - No. Didn't do it with DD1. The majority of the time, all three illnesses are mild. 

Chicken pox - No. Didn't do it with DD1. Not that severe of an illness in children and I'm concerned that it won't provide full immunity if she does vaccine only and therefore could cause sterility if she gets it when she's older. I can test their immunity before they hit puberty. 

So that's where I'm at. I still have a lot of research to do. The thing that's making me lean really hard towards not vaccinating at all is still the peanut thing. If DD1 would have kept the allergy, I would have felt like it was my fault. I don't want to potentially do that to DD2. Even if it goes away like with DD1 (which is not very likely, as only 1 in 5 outgrow nut allergies), I don't want to go through all of that again. It was terrifying that just a trace could kill her. It kept me up at night. Not to mention that even if vaccines don't cause the actual allergy, DD2 has a higher risk of being allergic because DD1 was. I don't want to find out that she's allergic to nuts by injecting it into her arm when she's a tiny baby. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#12 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Count the ones who regret whichever they chose.

ARE there ones out there who regret NOT vaccinating?

joy.gif
"Paradise lies at the feet of mothers"
#13 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaaJ View Post

I do think there are those who change their mind, sometimes because their life changed, what once makes sense doesn't anymore, the same way that people choose to stop vaccinating. There was an interesting thread in selective and delayed a while back.  Or if there are people who's children have died or been one of the rare complications from "vaccine preventable" diseases (I don't know any personally), but I have read that parents still don't regret the choice even after their child gets sick i.e. measles, chicken pox, whooping cough.    

But unless something has happened there will be no regret, just a change of mind.  You can always vaccinate, but you can never undo them. 

Done with diapers!!

#14 of 20 Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM

I wanted to at least address the "DTaP - Iffy. Vaccine scares me because it seems to be particular bad in the side effects department, but pertussis also scares me. Is pertussis really that bad or is it hyped up like the flu?"

The vaccine doesn't actually confer immunity at all. That isn't how it works. All it is suppose to do is make the symptoms "less" if they do get it.

So my line of questioning is , why take the risk of the shot for "less symptoms", they can still get it and just because it is suppose to be less severe doesn't mean it will be.

No matter what, you need to learn about it, how to treat it and what to look out for regardless.

DS 12

DD 7

DD 1

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

Sun Tzu

#15 of 20 Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

DD1 was vaccinated on a selective and delayed schedule. While I felt I was making a good decision at the time, I now feel that I was overly cautious. I've also done further research, some of which makes me wonder if vaccines work at all. DD1 also had a severe peanut allergy for 6 months that suddenly disappeared. I wonder how much it has to do with messing with her immune responses early on and the fact that some vaccines might have traces of peanut (something that isn't on the label, so you wouldn't be able to just avoid the ones with it).
DD2 was born at home and hasn't had any sort of medications or vaccines. She was seen by the midwife at 2 days, 2 weeks, and 6 weeks. The last appointment was this last Friday. I feel like it's down to the wire to make my decision on vaccines and I'd like some resources. There are ones that I feel like we for sure don't need (like I didn't know there's virtually no chance of a breastfed baby that's not in daycare getting rotavirus), but others I'm on the fence about. I've read and own The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears, along with various articles and studies online. Any other book or article recommendations? Which ones really helped you change your mind or make your decision?I just don't feel right giving her vaccines at all, especially with DD1's history of the nut allergy.

If you don't feel right about it - it is for a good reason. I second the thinktwice website and urge you to go with your instinct. Like others have posted, you can always change your mind and do vaccines later but you can't take them back. I don't vax. Pertussis does scare me, but I thought about it a lot and DTaP scares me more. Your baby is still so young - don't feel pressured to make a choice about every vaccination right now. If you do choose to vax, you can always do a delayed schedule. 

#16 of 20 Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaaJ View Post

Regret is a strong word.  Every once in a while someone will come on and explain how their child has had a VPD (usually pertussis) and that it was not fun and is causing them to question their decision.

I am not sure that is regret, though.

#17 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithA View Post

If you don't feel right about it - it is for a good reason. I second the thinktwice website and urge you to go with your instinct. Like others have posted, you can always change your mind and do vaccines later but you can't take them back. I don't vax. Pertussis does scare me, but I thought about it a lot and DTaP scares me more. Your baby is still so young - don't feel pressured to make a choice about every vaccination right now. If you do choose to vax, you can always do a delayed schedule. 

Thanks! I think that's exactly what I needed to hear. There's a reason why my gut is telling me this and I need to listen and come up with support for it, rather than try to change my mind. 

#18 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post

I wanted to at least address the "DTaP - Iffy. Vaccine scares me because it seems to be particular bad in the side effects department, but pertussis also scares me. Is pertussis really that bad or is it hyped up like the flu?"

The vaccine doesn't actually confer immunity at all. That isn't how it works. All it is suppose to do is make the symptoms "less" if they do get it.

So my line of questioning is , why take the risk of the shot for "less symptoms", they can still get it and just because it is suppose to be less severe doesn't mean it will be.

No matter what, you need to learn about it, how to treat it and what to look out for regardless.

DS 12

DD 7

DD 1

I didn't know that. Is that how all vaccines are or just this one in particular? I know the flu is the same way. Just less symptomatic, rather than immunity. This entirely changes my view on this vaccine. 

#19 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM

AS far as I know - most of the other ones are suppose to confer at least temporary "immunity" to the disease for various amounts of time. I think there may be one or two more exceptions other than the flu... I would have to look it up though.

Most moms do seem to be most concerned about Pertussis -yet the vaccine CAN NOT give immunity because it acts like a cold or flu. You might be immune for a short unknown time frame However: You can get it repeat times during your life, it isn't a disease that is like the measles, -get, get over and then, whew! glad that's over with....wink1.gif

It is an entirely different pathogen altogether. DEF research more into it. The DTaP is one that scares me the most with all the cases brought against it, the side effects and for what?

Diphtheria? LOL, not scared of it. WE do have access to modern medicine here and there has only been 3 cases reported from 2000 to 2007.....

Pertussis? Risk all that for a "possible" milder case....  Not gonna happen

Tetanus? Go read the CDC site for the Tetanus Surveillance. Way more people actually died from the vaccine than from the disease. The people who caught it and had a bad reaction were Admittedly diabetic with bad blood flow or drug users or older. (If we look up history, we can see why many actually died from this, *exp: They didn't use sterile scissors to cut umbilical cords, more rural etc* how we didn't understand it but as we did learn about letting things bleed, Tetanus was already on the decline)

Anyhow.... guess I am just preching to same crowd!

Keep reading and researching.... it helps!

DS 12

DD 7

DD 1

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

Sun Tzu

#20 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post

The DTaP is one that scares me the most with all the cases brought against it, the side effects and for what?

I was shocked when I saw the case #s - 

http://thenatureofreality.com/HRSA%20-%20National%20Vaccine%20Injury%20Compensation%20Program.pdf

I had always assumed MMR was the "worst" one. Not by a long shot.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page