What made you initially decide to question vaccines? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: what factors caused you to initially questions vaccines?
My child has a medical condition that precludes vaccination (does not include vaccine reactions) 0 0%
I believe my child had an adverse vaccine reaction 10 100.00%
Within my extended family, there are medical issues that I believe might make vaccines a bad idea for us 12 100.00%
I have a friend/friends who have a child that had an adverse reaction 7 77.78%
I am holistically minded - vaccines were never really on my radar 12 100.00%
I was fully expecting to vaccinate or never gave it much thought - when I saw or read something that made me think twice. 29 100.00%
I research all medical decision (short of an emergency) concerning my children - be it Vit. K., antibiotics or vaccines. 28 100.00%
Something happened ( incident or discussion) with a medical personnel that caused me to rethink things. 8 88.89%
other 13 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On the weekend he had one on his bum when I was changing him.  My mom and I thought it was just a pimple.  He got a few more after that and now he has them all over...not sure exactly how many but definitely more than five.  I didn't freak out cause we looked in The Portable Pediatrician by Dr. Sears and he said it was normal.  But is it really? Trying not to freak.  He hasn't been acting sick or itchy at all...running around and laughing like usual.

#32 of 47 Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM

1) I grew up on a farm, with lots of different x.  We always vaxxed our calves, but not until they were at least 6-7  months old.  When I compared the growth/maturity curve of calves to humans, I couldn't figure out why we vax our babies with so many more, and so much sooner, than we did our calves.  (Beef cattle are generally expecting their first baby at only about 18 months, when was the last time you saw an 18 month old human baby pregnant?!)  In the same vein, realizing how much more careful vets are about over-vaxxing cats and dogs than drs. about children was a big wake-up call.

2) Our pastor's wife at the time was also a public health nurse.  She pointed out to me that babies receive the same dosage of vaccine that older children and adults get.  That scared me, and was a turning point for DH.

3)  I had a couple of close friends who chose not to vax their children.  Their children were super healthy almost all the time, and never on abx.  Seeing that first-hand helped convince DH and me that vaxxing our children was not the best route for keeping our children healthy.

4) A general sense that injecting toxins into a still-developing immune system is probably not the best way to prime that system for optimal life-time function.

#33 of 47 Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My #2 son had a reaction to his 4-month shots (which did NOT include the CP shot), where he had oozing blisters all over his body. They did not look like chicken pox, though. The reason I mention this is two-fold:

1) both pediatric dermatologists who saw him told me that vaccines can cause many different kinds of of severe skin reactions (the first one also told me not to give him ANYTHING but breastmilk until the rash went away--no new foods whatsoever, not even rice cereal; as he was only 4 months old, he hadn't HAD anything but breastmilk at that point)

2) This reaction apparently somehow triggered celiac disease.  Although he was not getting any wheat in his diet, and I even went off both dairy, gluten, and the other top allergens while he was nursing him), somehow there was a distinct link there that both pediatrician and dermatologist acknowledged, but said that they didn't understand it, either.

His rash never really went away.  It did recede signficantly after several months, until it was just on the inside of his elbows, the back of his knees, and the back of his neck.  That stayed for YEARS.  We joked about his "dragon hide" (it looked terrible, all oozing and blistery and red), and I tried every steroid cream on it known to man; none of them did anything except to make my fingertips numb.

But when he was 7, we discovered that taking him off gluten resulted in the rash disappearing completely.  Up til that point, we had not had any reason to suspect gluten intolerance or celiac; we had given him wheat when he was about 14 months old, and we never saw a reaction.  But we also didn't eat wheat like the typical Western family, either--rice has always been the starch of choice here.

We did 2 wheat challenges on him, both times without telling him.  Both times, his rash came back.  All 3 times that we took him off 100%, the rash disappeared.

When we went back to the dermatologist, he said that that was a better test than any lab could come up with, and that he did not need to do additional testing; in his experience, only celiac disease/dermatitis herpetiformis (a skin form of celiac)  behaved that way, and it also explained why the steroid creams didn't work.

Sorry for the long post, and also apologies if this is a bit of a hijack. I just thought that anyone concerned about vaccines and resultant rashes might somehow benefit from knowing what happened to my child, even if it's not the same thing as a CP-vaccine-induced case of CP.  There's always the chance that gluten might be playing a role along with the vaccine. 

#34 of 47 Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

2) Our pastor's wife at the time was also a public health nurse.  She pointed out to me that babies receive the same dosage of vaccine that older children and adults get.  

Not only that, but my oldest, who was only 4 1/2 pounds, was vaxxed according to schedule--and as you point out, the dosage is not varied by weight. So his birth dose of hep B gave him a relatively huge amount of mercury.  AND he had a family history of mercury allergy, which the doctors knew.  shake.gif

#35 of 47 Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM

I had heard that hep B and vit k were not good at birth and so i refused vit k until we were leaving the hospital and he has never had the hep B shot. At his two month appointment they gave him five shots in two injections(DTaP and something else) and he SCREAMED(not the usual baby cry, he *screamed*) for two days refusing to nurse and was so tired he would fall asleep screaming, whimper for a second and wake up screaming again.... For TWO DAYS! On baby Tylenol... After that i waited six months avoiding the doctors office and finally brought him to the doc's saying ONE at a time(at 8 mo). Six weeks apart at the least, excluding Hep B, Flu, and CP. So hes up to date for a six month old (besides the hep B). After having to switch doctors and getting kicked out of my current doctors office for not complying with their shots rule, and doing a very large study on the rest of the diseases they have vaxes for i decided he will not get another shot.

Single mommy to one amazing little boy who ecbaby2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifgd.gifsaynovax.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gif

I love you Kaiden Anthony <3

#36 of 47 Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

http://aut.sagepub.com/content/12/3/293.short "Acetaminophen use after measles-mumps-rubella vaccination was significantly associated with autistic disorder when considering children 5 years of age or less." http://vaccinedangers.com.au/2012/04/babies-sleep-better-if-they-are-drugged-and-vaccinated-in-the-afternoon/ "SideEffects.com states: Despite Tylenol’s seemingly ‘safe’ impression, it has NOT been tested with the randomized double-blind placebo-controlled studies, known as RCT’s, that doctors and scientists SAY they require in order to determine if something is safe. If Tylenol were brought onto the market as a new drug right now, researchers would say that there is just not evidence to declare its safety for use in children. Yet, we take it for granted that we are doing the best thing for our children by giving them Tylenol when they have a fever or are in pain. But children HAVE died of liver failure, or been put on the transplant list, from ‘recommended’ dosages of Tylenol. And in fact, the FDA’s scientific consultants recommended, in 2007, that the FDA recommend that children under 6 years old NOT receive Tylenol- the FDA chose to ignore their scientific consultants in this matter." http://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildrens.org/if-it-were-my-child-no-tylenol-before-shots/ "If it were my child: no Tylenol before shots."
#37 of 47 Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 AM

*deleted because someone is taking posts and making fun of them at another site*

#38 of 47 Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM

I think the thing that initially made me question vaccines was that I was never vaccinated. My parents used a religious excemption for me to attend public school. So, I already knew that there were other options/opinions about vaccination. When I found out that I was pregnant, my first thought was that I wanted to vaccinate for everything! I got pertussis when I was in elementary school, measles when I was in middle school and mumps when I was in high school. It was miserable to have each of those diseases. I wanted to avoid that for my child by giving her the vaccine, but I researched the issue myself and decided to do selective and delayed vaccination.
#39 of 47 Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i came upon a PDR in the late 80's, and looked up stats, and was intrigued by the whole issue of immunity.  

#40 of 47 Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM

I think it started when they added CP to the schedule. It just seemed ludicrous. Then I heard about the Wakefield study, and that made me really start to question and research things.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#41 of 47 Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Q
#42 of 47 Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM

#43 of 47 Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM

T

Slmommy likes this.
#44 of 47 Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM

For me, learning about the benefits of breastfeeding and how breastfeeding is under-emphasized by the medical community in favor of formula feeding, made me begin to research all the "hot topics."  This started before I became pregnant with my first baby.

At first, when I learned the basic arguments for both sides - 'vaccines prevent disease and protect your baby' and 'vaccines are potentially/probably not as safe as promoted and the long term effects are unknown' I was very, very confused.  I believed vaccines were good, necessary - only because I had been socially trained to believe so.  But some part of me felt very suspicious of vaccines.  I just didn't understand what that suspicion meant and how I should apply it to my family.  At one point, during pregnancy with my first baby in fact, I decided to "give it a rest and just trust the doctors."  I figured that if I was going to bring my precious baby to a doctor to seek guidance with her health, then I'd probably ought to trust that doctor with vaccine recommendations, and simply stop thinking about the potential dangers.

I succeeded in not thinking about the hep b and vit. k shot.  I was bothered more by the fact that the hospital staff seemed to be "hogging" my baby early in her life.  I didn't give much thought to what they were doing to her while they had her. 

Her first night was horrendous.  She started letting out this ear-piercing prolonged scream, which could only be alleviated by walking her around.  My husband was wonderful in this, but I was sad that I couldn't comfort my baby through breastfeeding.  Now I wonder how much of that screaming had to do with the shots she got when she was only hours old.

At 3 months, I brought her in for her 2 month set of shots.  I'm not sure why I delayed a month...I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I convinced myself that I "had to" eventually, and I brought her in.  My husband held her as she received several shots.  It was heartbreaking.  Later that day, she began that same familiar ear-piercing scream that she had done that first night.  I was surprised because she hadn't done that in a while.  Her poor fat little leg (luckily she was fat from 100% breastmilk) was swollen and hot. 

At 5 months, I brought her in, this time a little more reluctantly, for her 4 month set of shots.  This time, the scream was worse and lasted longer.  The knot in her leg was hot and hard, and she was in terrible pain.  She would scream herself to sleep in my arms, refusing to nurse for hours after the shots.  Then that night, as she burned with vaccine-induced fever, she started displaying signs of neurological distress - her eyes would roll back for a few seconds, and she'd tremble when it happened.  (I learned later this was called infantile spasms, a form of seizures.)  I brought her in to the doctor the next day to tell her about this unusual "thing" she was doing with her eyes and body, and the pediatrician assured me it was normal, and that my baby was only "playing" with me.  I tried to explain that it looked involuntary and weird, but I was shushed again.

That was the last set of shots she got.  She continued with the spasms and involuntary eye movements, and would have prolonged crying fits which included banging her head into ours.  Our once calm baby was now often inconsolable and miserable.

Emma is now 8 years old, and still has signs of vaccine injury.  She has been diagnosed (by a "good" doctor) as being toxic in heavy metals and displaying signs of vaccine-induced learning and behavior issues.  Would we take her to a conventional doctor, she'd have ADHD on her chart for sure, and a prescription for adderal.  Fortunately, her doctor is very natural minded, and has been around the block in treating vaccine injury.  We manage Emma's issues with lithium orotate supplementation, along with megadoses of vitamins since her heavy metal toxicity prevents adequate absorption of vitamins/minerals from food.

member234098 and junestars like this.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#45 of 47 Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

emma1325…..hug2.gif

member234098 and BeckyBird like this.
#46 of 47 Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Q
BeckyBird likes this.
#47 of 47 Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Emma1325,

Thanks for your story. Your daughter IS lucky to have you!

member234098 likes this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page