Unvaxed and Traveling to China - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend has a 2 yr old, and they are not vaccinating because she believes in holistic health.  Her family is going on a short trip to China, and she voiced concerns about a recent polio outbreak there.  She asked my opinion about whether she should vaccinate.  I don't know, so I'm reaching out to you.

While I'm asking, does anyone have strong feelings about what they'd do if traveling to China?  After looking at the World Health numbers, there are cases of mumps, rubella, measles, Japanese encephalitis, and tetanus (decreasing in that order).  There are so many factors to consider if her child gets sick - language barrier being the biggest and access to trusted holistic practitioners where she doesn't know how to find that information.  She trusts traditional Chinese medicine which is helpful, but I think she needs more guidance.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solur View Post

My friend has a 2 yr old, and they are not vaccinating because she believes in holistic health.  Her family is going on a short trip to China, and she voiced concerns about a recent polio outbreak there.  She asked my opinion about whether she should vaccinate.  I don't know, so I'm reaching out to you.

While I'm asking, does anyone have strong feelings about what they'd do if traveling to China?  After looking at the World Health numbers, there are cases of mumps, rubella, measles, Japanese encephalitis, and tetanus (decreasing in that order).  There are so many factors to consider if her child gets sick - language barrier being the biggest and access to trusted holistic practitioners where she doesn't know how to find that information.  She trusts traditional Chinese medicine which is helpful, but I think she needs more guidance.

Thanks.

she should find out how the polio came about..was it induced by the vaccine? was it a wild polio brought from another country and theres an epidemic going on?  she should also look into Chinese herbalists over there before traveling there, so she'll have an idea where to go should something occur.  

#3 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM

China is a really big country.  Are there cases of those VPDs in the region she is visiting?

For me, the choice would depend on how long I would be there and what I would be doing.  Staying in a rural village vs. metropolitan hotel, etc.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM

If it is a short trip to major urban/tourist area, I would not worry too much, I would be more worried about colds or stomach issues, which all travelers are more at risk for. Japanese Enchephalitis is spread through mosquitoes - so in an urban/tourist hotel area, probably not that much risk. Tetanus, no amount of herd immunity will ever knock that out, and what activities will they be doing there that will put them at much risk? - tourist hotel/sightseeing, probably not much. 

Wash hands, don't drink drinks with ice, make sure water bottles you purchase are actually sealed closed before you open, be careful about food, hope you aren't stuck next to someone sneezing/coughing on the plane! Do whatever you feel works to boost immunity before and during trip. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 PM

It depends where she goes. And I think, not sure though, that China gives OPV. In that case I would go for IPV or at least not allow any contact of the child with locals at all and be extremely paranoid about hygiene.

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page