Help! Nonvaxxed son exposed to pertussis at school. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is in 1st grade, and the child that had it was in 5th grade, but she has a sister in kindergarten.  Called his integrative medicine pediatrician to see if he should get an antibiotic for prevention.  We have a baby in the house.  So I am freaked.  I know I have read on here that the antibiotic just lowers your resistance.  Not sure what to do.  Anyone been here, and what have you done?

Thanks!

#2 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM

From what I've been hearing, antibiotics may stop the contagious period of the illness, but it don't really do anything to help with the infection and or toxins that the bacteria release upon their death. 

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

I am very concerned about him transmitting it to our 13 month old.  

#4 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM

1 child out of a school, especially in another grade, wouldn't concern me, honestly.  If there is suddenly an outbreak and many children are diagnosed, that would be one thing.  Do you know if the 5th grader was diagnosed by symptoms or nasal swab?  I know that pertussis is often diagnosed when the illness is actually bronchitis or something else, and vice versa.

For the 13 month old - I know it's scary to think about any child being ill, but keep in mind that children rarely are critically ill with pertussis past 6 months old.  I'd suggest reading up on pertussis treatment with sodium ascorbate and what it looks like in an older child, and you will likely feel a little better about the prospect of it hitting your household.  Not that it would be a walk in the park - but your children are well past the age where it would be critical.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

At what age can you give SA to a child?  I have SA on hand and am going to start it on my son.  Thanks for the reminder, BTW.  I am so panicked that i forgot about the SA.

#6 of 28 Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM

http://vaccinationcouncil.org/media/The-Vitamin-C-Treatment-of-Whooping-Cough.pdf  Great document, even talks about dosage 

Done with diapers!!

#7 of 28 Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningpearl View Post

http://vaccinationcouncil.org/media/The-Vitamin-C-Treatment-of-Whooping-Cough.pdf  Great document, even talks about dosage 

GREAT article!  Thanks for sharing; I've bookmarked this!

#8 of 28 Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

I would just say, for perspective, that we are all probably around a lot of people who are asymptomatic carriers of pertussis, or adults who have pertussis and don't realize it.  Adults don't always show the usual characteristics of the illness.

It's hard when you have knowledge of a confirmed case, but just think of all that you don't have knowledge of...and you all have been ok!  Your children's immune systems are strong and are working as intended, extra SA would help even more (treat to bowel tolerance).

I know it doesn't make you any less worried, we're mom's, that's what we do...but always trying to put something scary into a different perspective helps me.  (and yes, sometimes it does make me want to put a bubble around my kids).

Hugs mama, you're doing great.  

alegna and Bokonon like this.

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#9 of 28 Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you can give SA to your 13 month old no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRJ View Post

At what age can you give SA to a child?  I have SA on hand and am going to start it on my son.  Thanks for the reminder, BTW.  I am so panicked that i forgot about the SA.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 28 Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My babies all had pertussis (even though they were vaxed), and it SOUNDED awful, but honestly, it just wasn't that big a deal. When it sounded bad, i would take them into the steamy bathroom, and then either outside or I would open the freezer door and they'd breathe the cold air. That would clear it up for a couple of hours.
#11 of 28 Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM

you sure that was pertussis?? Sounds more like what works to help alleviate croup symptoms. Usually with pertussis those types of conditions may actually trigger a coughing episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

My babies all had pertussis (even though they were vaxed), and it SOUNDED awful, but honestly, it just wasn't that big a deal. When it sounded bad, i would take them into the steamy bathroom, and then either outside or I would open the freezer door and they'd breathe the cold air. That would clear it up for a couple of hours.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#12 of 28 Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

you sure that was pertussis?? Sounds more like what works to help alleviate croup symptoms. Usually with pertussis those types of conditions may actually trigger a coughing episode.

Good question. The pediatrician diagnosed it as pertussis, but did not test for it, so it could have been either. I guess I'll never know for sure. greensad.gif
#13 of 28 Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 AM

Is it possible that croup and pertussis are one and the same? http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/10197615/croup_vs_pertussis

Do they ever test croupy babies for pertussis? Is the test highly accurate?

Not sayin', just askin'....
#14 of 28 Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Croup is actually the condition (the barky cough) which can be caused by a few things, but usually a viral infection that leads to swelling in the airways. So it's not actually a pathogen like the pertussis bacteria. It's usually diagnosed by clinical symptoms. The clinical picture for pertussis and croup seems different so I doubt they test croupy babies for pertussis. They don't usually test for pertussis no matter what - especially in a vaccinated child! I think the test for pertussis is only accurate if it's done in the right time frame which is before or shortly after the onset of the paroxymal cough. If done much later there are alot of false negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Is it possible that croup and pertussis are one and the same? http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/10197615/croup_vs_pertussis
Do they ever test croupy babies for pertussis? Is the test highly accurate?
Not sayin', just askin'....

#15 of 28 Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Kai View Post

I would just say, for perspective, that we are all probably around a lot of people who are asymptomatic carriers of pertussis, or adults who have pertussis and don't realize it.  Adults don't always show the usual characteristics of the illness.

It's hard when you have knowledge of a confirmed case, but just think of all that you don't have knowledge of...and you all have been ok!  Your children's immune systems are strong and are working as intended, extra SA would help even more (treat to bowel tolerance).

I know it doesn't make you any less worried, we're mom's, that's what we do...but always trying to put something scary into a different perspective helps me.  (and yes, sometimes it does make me want to put a bubble around my kids).

Hugs mama, you're doing great.  

Yup, we had letters sent home from school in November that there were confirmed cases at school and our kids had most likely been exposed. 

Nothing came of it. Exposure doesn't automatically equal infection.

For the OP, if she is concerned, I believe she can have her LO put on a prophylactic course of abx. I don't think SA works to prevent pertussis infection. We used it to treat DS when he came down with it (caught it from DH, who was up-to-date and brought it home anyway).

Bokonon likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#16 of 28 Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Thank you to everyone.  DS came down with a snotty nose over the weekend.  So I took him in for the swab, and our naturopath had said not wait on results.  She felt like cold symptoms should warrant immediate abx given the exposure and 13 month old in the house.  I have had two homeopaths, a naturopath, and 3 integrative medicine drs all tell me the same thing (including our integrative pediatrician).  So he started abx today.  If it comes back positive, she'll put the baby on them too.  They've also had a lot of SA and Pertussin 200C (baby one dose, son 3 doses).  I know there is a lot of debate over the abx.  But since I have had 5 "crunchy" doctors all tell me the same thing, I feel very good putting DS on it.  Our ped is is a vaccine friendly dr who didn't vaccinate her last child, and she specializes in autism and does not hand out antibiotics readily.  

#17 of 28 Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

I forgot to mention that 2 days after I posted I found out that there 5-6 cases and one was in his class which is why I took him in today.
#18 of 28 Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM

HRJ, 

I don't think you need to worry about being judged about the abx. I think that if we are going to sel/non vax our kids we need to be aware of the vpds they could contract, have hcps lined up to help sometimes, and be aware of how to treat and reduce spread. 

How long will it be to find out the results? Hoping things go as well as possible! Keep us updated!

It sounds like you are doing a great job and have a lot of resources lined up.

#19 of 28 Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM

HRJ,

Hey, for what it's worth, I think the antibiotics are a good call.  My son had pertussis when he was 10 months old (after getting a swab cultured and all that), and so his pediatrician put the whole family on antibiotics to prevent it from spreading to others.  We live in an area where there are a lot of Amish and other non-vaccinating homeschoolers, so I felt a keen responsibility to prevent it from spreading to other people.  It's great if you could take care of it before the coughing starts!  Otherwise, like I said, my son was 10 months old when he had it, and it just wasn't that bad at all.  I was really surprised, since I had read some pretty terrible things about it in the past, and pertussis was on my list of things I hoped I would never have to deal with.  But really, he spent about two months overall having coughing fits, mostly at night, but it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest.  My other children started coughing not too long after his diagnosis, so I'm assuming they also had it, but again, it just wasn't that bad at all.

Sounds like you're doing a great job! 

#20 of 28 Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Thanks Mamas! Might have to start another thread about son having to stay home from school and how to not get behind.
#21 of 28 Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mamas! Might have to start another thread about son having to stay home from school and how to not get behind.

you will have to work with the school on getting his work for him if that should happen.   Is there any way the school can email you the lesson plans?

#22 of 28 Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

I have been emailing the teacher daily to get assignments. Next thing I need to figure out is when he goes back. They are up to 9 cases but no new ones in his class. Nurse said health dept said he could go back if he's asymptomatic but originally she said he'd be home for 21 days. Both per health dept.
#23 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I have been emailing the teacher daily to get assignments. Next thing I need to figure out is when he goes back. They are up to 9 cases but no new ones in his class. Nurse said health dept said he could go back if he's asymptomatic but originally she said he'd be home for 21 days. Both per health dept.

Can I ask where you live?  I'm just curious where this is going on.  I live in San Diego and we had a supposedly big pertussis outbreak in 2010, but not a single case in my son's school that year or this year.  There was 1 case of mumps at his school a few months ago, and that was it...strange!

#24 of 28 Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

SUre - we live in OH. We had a big outbreak last year too and it was in the news a LOT. I don't think it was as big as the San Diego outbreak. My son didn't have any cases reported last year but he was in a much smaller school. Levels had returned to normal. So this outbreak caught me off guard.
#25 of 28 Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Home for 21 days after the antibiotics? That seems excessive. Here it's five days of antibiotics and then allowed back to school.

We did a 21 day quarantine with DS because he had NO antibiotics and that's the CDC recommendation.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#26 of 28 Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:

SUre - we live in OH. We had a big outbreak last year too and it was in the news a LOT. I don't think it was as big as the San Diego outbreak. My son didn't have any cases reported last year but he was in a much smaller school. Levels had returned to normal. So this outbreak caught me off guard.

Pertussis is endemic, so it's always around, no matter what. It's just the number of cases that varies.

In our area, the cases have gone up noticeably since last year. Here's part of the reason why:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/whooping-cough-beats-vaccine-20120320-1vibp.html

Bokonon likes this.

#27 of 28 Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

No not home for 21 days with an antibiotic.  Was 21 days without antibiotic or 5 days with antibiotic.  

#28 of 28 Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

No not home for 21 days with an antibiotic.  Was 21 days without antibiotic or 5 days with antibiotic.  

That's what I thought...for a second they seemed to be going over the top. ;)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page