Chicken Pox Titer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids are not vaccinated, and have been out of school now for 7 weeks because of a chicken pox "outbreak" at their school.  As it stands, I don't know who has had it, but if I ever come across that information, I'd like to expose the kids to chicken pox.  However, I had a very very very mild case of chicken pox as a child, and it dawned on me that I might not be immune.  At the age of 35, it's probably something I should look into, right?  LOL  If you were in my shoes, would you titer before exposing the kids, and get the vaccine (myself, not for my kids) if you're not immune in your mid-30s?  Also, I don't currently have a doctor.  Is there some place that can do titers?  Department of health, or something?  Thanks!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM

I just tried exposing my girls to an awesome strain going around and they didn't get it, Gonna try again in two weeks when the next batch breaks out.  I never had chicken pox, had titers run before getting pregnant, got 1 vaccine cost $100 and I didn't get or want a booster, 5 years later, I was just barely immune (titers run during pregnancy) and that was almost 4 years ago,   when I exposed my girls, I joined in and exposed myself, I figured I'm not getting any younger and I would rather get sick from the exposure then get very sick from taking care of kids with chicken pox and having long time exposure.  

There is also the theory that titers and getting sick with it don't always coincide.  You can be exposed and have your primary immune system fight it off with out the need for high antibodies.  If you can find it there are herbs that you can take that can keep you from getting really sick l-lysine is a good one  and Nature Sunshine makes something called VSC that helps knock out virus.  I plan on taking that for myself next time we expose. 

Done with diapers!!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post Also, I don't currently have a doctor.  Is there some place that can do titers?  Department of health, or something?  Thanks!

I just a found a site, I cannot vouch for it, but varicella titers are $70, no written prescription needed.

https://www.accesalabs.com/titers

Regarding titers, I agree with PP, the levels do not neccessarily coincide with immunity. A low dilution doesn't neccessarily mean you are not immune, even if less than the minimum.

In a healthy immune system, memory cells, which are not measured, produce antibodies when needed,. So long as there has been a previous exposure to that pathogen.

Key message...............a positive titer means immune response but a negative one does not neccessarily mean not immune.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Sorry for the thread jack, but just wondering...

My husband currently has chicken pox.  He never had it as a kid, and luckily is coming through it quite well.  My unvaxed kids have no signs of it yet. 

Once/if they do, I want it on record, because I don't want to have to go through the same thing the OP is going through with being kept out of school.  Do I just need to take pictures?  Go into the ped and have them sign something?

Part of me hopes they get it.  Part of me hopes they don't because then I feel people will know they're not vaxed and that witch hunt will begin.  (Yes, I know vaxed kids can get chicken pox.  But let's face it: most people don't.)

Too bad you don't live closer, ramama!  I'd say come on over for a pox party.  ;)

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

well, I do know that a school in Indiana is dealing with and "outbreak" and all the kids that are getting sick have had at least one dose.  They are planning to exclude all of those who don't get the second does until 21 days after the last case has been reported and are even having a vax clinic at the school.  

Done with diapers!!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post

Sorry for the thread jack, but just wondering...

My husband currently has chicken pox.  He never had it as a kid, and luckily is coming through it quite well.  My unvaxed kids have no signs of it yet. 

Once/if they do, I want it on record, because I don't want to have to go through the same thing the OP is going through with being kept out of school.  Do I just need to take pictures?  Go into the ped and have them sign something?

Part of me hopes they get it.  Part of me hopes they don't because then I feel people will know they're not vaxed and that witch hunt will begin.  (Yes, I know vaxed kids can get chicken pox.  But let's face it: most people don't.)

Too bad you don't live closer, ramama!  I'd say come on over for a pox party.  ;)

Bolded part:  my story may be unusual, but it also might be more common than you think.  When my daughter was in second grade (4 yrs ago), 22 or 23 out of 24 students (and the 24th student was my daughter, who had also been vaxed) came down with Chicken Pox.  Her district has recently reported to have a 10% exemption rate (and it's a philo state, so who knows exactly what shots the exemptions were for); but even given that, one can assume that most of them had been vaxed for CP, for all the good it did for those students.    So maybe don't worry so much about whether or not people know your  kids are unvaxed smile.gif

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM

I vaccinated my ds last week and he now has chicken pox.  I am very angry as no one told me this could happen.  All I read on the paper I was given that he could get a possible mild rash.  These were blisters. 

Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post

I vaccinated my ds last week and he now has chicken pox.  I am very angry as no one told me this could happen.  All I read on the paper I was given that he could get a possible mild rash.  These were blisters. 

Have you reported this as an adverse reaction, and told his doctor?  That would be my first step.  I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  :(

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Not yet because at first there was only one on his bum and we thought it was just a pimple.  They then spread.  My mom looked in The Portable Pediatrician by Dr. Sears and it said it was a normal reaction after the vaccine but is it really?? He is not acting sick or itchy, he is running and smiling but those stupid bumps are all over!  I will definitely let him know, though.  Thanks so much.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Many doctors offices do not report adverse reactions. You can do so here though:

http://vaers.hhs.gov/esub/index

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks Asiago!!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM

You are welcome, I hope that your little one is recovered soon.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List