Stopping Vaccinations for an Autistic Child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 4 year old son with Autism.  He wasn't vaxed at all until he was 2 years old.    He was speech delayed from the get go but right before he turned 3 we caught him up to go to preschool and that is when he had a big regression.   I definitely do not want to do any more vaxes for him but he currently has a vax record on file at school.  

The school nurse called a couple weeks ago to tell me he must get another MMR before age 5.  I told her that he had a reaction to the MMR and I didn't want him to have another.   Then a couple days later ds brings home a paper saying he must get another one to continue attending school.  He does not turn 5 until January.  This school nurse has been difficult to work with in the past.  When my dd started school she was "behind" and still needed 2 vaxes and the nurse would call the day that she could get the next possible dose saying she'd need the shot within 48 hours to continue attending school.  Also after telling her how my ds reacted to MMR she immediately sent paperwork home saying it was required to continue attending school.  It looks like titers would be perfectly acceptable in my state but of course she never mentioned this.  

I'm in Maryland so there is no philosophical exemption but we have religious exemption.  I anticipate issues filing religious exemption from the school nurse though.  I'm not sure the best way to go about that.  She has ds's current vax records on file so I imagine she knows we don't really object on religious grounds.  I don't really like filing the religious exemption since it feels deceptive but there is no way my ds is getting another MMR.  My only other choice is to pull him out of school and then he'd lose his services.  It looks like titer levels would also be acceptable but I'm not sure if I should go that route or not.  I don't want to have to go get titer levels frequently.   I'd like to get the religious exemption filed and then I wouldn't have to worry about it again.  

Any advice on the best way to file the religious exemption or would it be better to do titer levels.  The only 2 vaccines that ds is supposed to get are a 2nd MMR by age 5 and a 2nd Chicken Pox for 1st grade.  Otherwise it looks like he has had pretty much everything else.   

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Previous vaccinations shouldn't be a problem with a religious exemption. People can find religion at any time. I think that would be the best route if you're not planning on vaccinating any further. Titers could be challenging and costly and might not work in your favor anyway.  Plus you'd be facing this issue again in middle school for the Tdap. 

#3 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Previous vaccinations shouldn't be a problem with a religious exemption. People can find religion at any time. I think that would be the best route if you're not planning on vaccinating any further. Titers could be challenging and costly and might not work in your favor anyway.  Plus you'd be facing this issue again in middle school for the Tdap. 

They won't take titers on Tdap so I think we'll definitely need to do the religious exemption.  We're planning to run titers through our DAN this month for MMR just to see where they are at.   Do I need to do anything other than sign the religious exemption form?  For Maryland it's the very bottom part of the vax record page.  I've heard of people being told it needs to be notarized.  I just don't want trouble.  My dd is also a student there and she has a vax record on file.  She won't be attending there next year so I may wait until fall to send anything in.  If I send religious exemption in for ds then would it be a good idea to send it in for dd at the same time?  

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#4 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM

not sure what your religious beliefs are, but if you are using Christian beliefs and have any trouble with the nurse, tell her you were listening to Dr.'s and nurses, now you are listening to God, be sure to use some scripture in your letter.  

Jennyanydots and AbbyGrant like this.

Done with diapers!!

#5 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Is a medical exemption a possibility?  I would think a DAN! doctor would be willing to sign one for a child with autism.

I'm so sorry you are facing this.  I'd recommend documenting every interaction you have with this nurse, because it sounds like she has no problem harassing you.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM

I think it would be difficult to get a medical exemption letter for vaccines due to autism, and it would be rejected if it didn't meet the state's criteria for a medical exemption.  A religious exemption can't easily be challenged. 

#7 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

I think it would be difficult to get a medical exemption letter for vaccines due to autism, and it would be rejected if it didn't meet the state's criteria for a medical exemption.  A religious exemption can't easily be challenged. 

i would think if a dr is going to write a medical exemption for a child, he is going to write it in a way that is not going to come back on HIM.  He will write it so it would meet the states criteria..why wouldn't he? he would be doing a few people, himself included, a disservice by writing a letter of exemption that didn't measure up.  

#8 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

i would think if a dr is going to write a medical exemption for a child, he is going to write it in a way that is not going to come back on HIM.  He will write it so it would meet the states criteria..why wouldn't he? he would be doing a few people, himself included, a disservice by writing a letter of exemption that didn't measure up.  

Which is why I said it would be difficult to find someone to write one. Autism, at least in my state, is not an issue the state recognizes for a medical exemption.  

edited for typo

#9 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM

We wrote our religious exemption after our son was vaccinated (and had reactions.)  The other poster said it correctly: you were listening to doctors before, now you are listening to God.  It doesn't have to be a lie.  For many, conscience is a part of divinity. 

We are in NY (harder to get an exemption here) and ours was accepted.  You can certainly explore the medical exemption.  In our case, it would have only applied to certain vaccines and not all, and I was done. 

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#10 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM

Here is what I could find from a quick internet search about medical exemptions in Maryland:

Quote:
4. Does my child qualify for a medical exemption? A medical exemption letter must be written by a licensed physician in Maryland.  Medical exemptions would apply to individuals who are allergic to any components of the vaccines, those who have had severe reactions in the past and to those individuals with a family history of allergies.  Also, some immune-compromised individuals taking specific medications should not receive certain vaccines. Siblings’ adverse reactions do not automatically exempt a child although should be thoroughly considered prior to vaccination. Medical contraindications to vaccines are listed in the manufacturer’s package insert and the Physician’s Desk Reference, yet guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics and/or Centers for Disease Control usually define the medical condition/status that is acceptable for a medical exemption. Click Here for further details. The exemption shall exist only for the length of time, in the opinion of the physician; such immunization would be detrimental to the child.  An exemption from immunization for one disease shall not affect other required immunizations.

However, be aware that in the event of an outbreak of a communicable disease for which immunization is required, children exempted shall not attend the school or childcare agency threatened by the communicable disease.

http://mdvaccinechoice.wordpress.com/faq/

If anyone can get a medical exemption due to autism for MMR, chicken pox, and Tdap with that standard, then more power to them.  It's not something I would try though as it would make the religious exemption letter I would need to file when the medical exemption failed look rather suspicious.  

#11 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM

I just saw this thread under "New Posts" and thought it might be helpful.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1321468/religous-exemption-fopr-vaccines-in-md-please-help

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page