anyone know what is required for a medical exemption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In light of the attack on the philosophical exemption in California (AB2109, hearing is 4/17 if you haven't spoken up, ask me how), I'm wondering what is involved in getting a medical exemption.  I know my DS allergic to eggs should in theory be exempt from egg-containing vaccines but this doesn't help my other 2 kids and only a few contain eggs anyway.  Thoughts?

#2 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

A

#3 of 9 Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

There's supposedly a permanent medical exemption in CA, who knows who long there will be.

#4 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Our child's MD who is sympathetic to our situation based on family history of serious reactions wrote a medical exemption for him for all vaccines, citing genetic predisposition to vaccine reactions.  It was promptly rejected by the Dept. of Health.  My guess is that unless your request for a medical exemption is post trauma such as a child was near death from an indisputable vaccine reaction or irreversibly damaged, they won't give a medical exemption.  Draconian.

#5 of 9 Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i think an acceptable letter of medical objection from an Md would have to include the name/mfg of the vaccine, lot#, adverse event following vaccination, mandated/documented legal proof of adverse reaction as determined by administering Md,  and outcome of vaccine injury investigation.  

#6 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yup. They are practically impossible to obtain and are good for 1 vaccine and usually post injury. If a parent want to selectively vaccinate in a state that does not offer the philisophical exemption. They are forced to basically get sneaky. Politicians are so stupid. Don't they realize that some parents just want to opt out of a few and would get the rest, but my making it an all or nothing thing, some end up doing none.

member234098 likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Yup. They are practically impossible to obtain and are good for 1 vaccine and usually post injury. If a parent want to selectively vaccinate in a state that does not offer the philisophical exemption. They are forced to basically get sneaky. Politicians are so stupid. Don't they realize that some parents just want to opt out of a few and would get the rest, but my making it an all or nothing thing, some end up doing none.

yep, this is what I told the doctor at their last visit (even though, I really feel comfortable not doing any) there was a time where I did want to do a few, but because the law was all or none, I went with none.  To me it was the less of two evils.  

member234098 likes this.

Done with diapers!!

#8 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM

I am in IL, and was told that my allergist could fill out a form or write a letter stating that my dd is NOT to get ANY vaccines due to her immense # and severity of allergies to foods, enviros, chemicals, drugs, etc.  I talked to the school and they are in agreement w/me.  Am I going to have issues from the state????

#9 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

From my knowledge of non-vaxers in IL, It's usually handled at the School/district level.  If the school doesn't have enough of a % of vaccinated students, they can lose funding (I had a link about that somewhere, can't remember where I found it right now).  So if you are in a high vaccinated school, you will probably not be given much trouble, and if anything it will be sent to the county level first.  So really if you school is cool, then you will probably be fine unless there is some type of "outbreak".  If the school doesn't want to let you in, that's when it goes up the ladder to county and then state.

Done with diapers!!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page