Vitamin A, C, and Vpd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been wondering why mainstream drs don't know about/recognize sodium ascorbate for pertussis treatment...?

I just finished this finally, which I know floats around here a lot, and is a really good article http://vaccinationcouncil.org/media/The-Vitamin-C-Treatment-of-Whooping-Cough.pdf

She kinda addresses that issue here:

Quote:
The reason we doctors were never taught about therapeutic doses of vitamin C in medical school, is that if they had taught us about it, then not only would a raft of other drugs have been unnecessary, but they wouldn't be able to use meningococcal complications and deaths as emotional blackmail to get people to vaccinate, because people wouldn't be scared of gram-negative infections [N. meningitides and H. influenza (Hib)] any more.
Vitamins A and C would render measles, whooping cough, meningococcal 
complications, among other things, really easy to treat. 
The functions of vitamin C in any toxin-mediated disease (which includes tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough, Staph. aureus, Strep. A, meningococcal invasive disease, pneumococcal invasive disease, etc.), are several

Do you think that is the real reason these treatment options are not explored/popular? I am jaded enough already to buy that.

Does anyone have anymore good info about vitamin a and/or c in treatment of vpd or not-vpd?

This one with tetanus/vit c caught my eye on another thread the other day:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18425960 

member234098 and Bokonon like this.
#2 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm the one that posted those.  There was a bit about it in the book Vaccine Illusion, it touched a little about why standard of care is what it is.  When you look back it's just theories and how originally it was gradual exposure to tetanus in horses and then getting the vaccine, but that resulted in serum sickness.  There is also no profit in using vitamins and little profit to studying them. 

member234098 likes this.

Done with diapers!!

#3 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, thanks for posting them! I need to print the pertussis article. I had seen it before but did not read it in entirety until today. There are a lot of things I want to read/research more... but time to do so... not so much. 

I've been looking into getting some more books about managing illness... Has anyone read Wendy Lydall's "Raising a Vaccine Free Child" or Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children"? Does either book have much info about vitamin c and a? Or any other books? I have Mendelsohn's "How to Raise Healthy Child in Spite of Your Dr," but I don't think he mentions vitamin c for pertussis.

We don't really have naturopaths in the country I am living. Homeopathy is fairly popular, but I am not sold on one set approach towards health/medicine anymore.

#4 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my remedies mainly consist of vitamin d for colds/flu, which is very effective.. i am not very familiar with vit c for treatment but we are currently exploring the area and putting it into practice. haven't read raising a vaccine free child - do you mind sharing a synopsis?

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#5 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

Yes, thanks for posting them! I need to print the pertussis article. I had seen it before but did not read it in entirety until today. There are a lot of things I want to read/research more... but time to do so... not so much. 

I've been looking into getting some more books about managing illness... Has anyone read Wendy Lydall's "Raising a Vaccine Free Child" or Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children"? Does either book have much info about vitamin c and a? Or any other books? I have Mendelsohn's "How to Raise Healthy Child in Spite of Your Dr," but I don't think he mentions vitamin c for pertussis.

We don't really have naturopaths in the country I am living. Homeopathy is fairly popular, but I am not sold on one set approach towards health/medicine anymore.

Check out Hilary Butler''s beyond vaccination board. She has a whole bunch of stuff (studies, tx ect) on Vit C  and pertussis (and other diseases) and knows a ton about all of this. http://beyondvaccination.com/forum.php

I have read Wendy Lydell's book. It;s pretty good. She is just a mom who wrote a book about treating her kids naturally, but there is good stuff in there. Im glad I have it in my "library".

If you want to know about Vit C check out Dr. Levy. He is the expert on vit c and infectious disease http://www.doctoryourself.com/levy.html

Also read about Dr. Klenner who first experiemnted with megadosing of Vit c in the 1940's

http://www.doctoryourself.com/vitaminc.html

also look at this site

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/

member234098 likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links I will check them out. 

Also would be interested in any in-depth info anyone knows of about vitamin A and dosing and toxicity --- the Humphries vit c/pertussis article speaks of overdosing c and a far from likely when the infection is using those "hand over fist"

Anyone who has read Hilary's book(s)... is this subject addressed there??

#7 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

Thanks for the links I will check them out. 

Also would be interested in any in-depth info anyone knows of about vitamin A and dosing and toxicity --- the Humphries vit c/pertussis article speaks of overdosing c and a far from likely when the infection is using those "hand over fist"

Anyone who has read Hilary's book(s)... is this subject addressed there??

Are you asking if she writes about vitamin A and toxicity specifically? No that is not addressed in her booksin and of itself, but I believe she may touch on Vitamin a in the treatment and prevention of measles. (maybe)  As for "overdosing" on Vitamin C, since it is a water soluble vitamin, that would be very difficult. What your body doesn't use, it eliminates. You will either pee it out or will get to bowel tolerance or both. Although the alloptahic medical community sees bowel tolerance as a sign of overdose. They say that taking more than the upper limit is overdosing. You know the UL for Vit C in their world is 2,000mg for an adult and 650mg for a child under 9....I mean seriously...I can take 50,000 mg and more when I am acutely ill and still not reach bowel tolerance. My son takes 1,000 - 2,000 per day when he is NOT sick (much more when he is) without any bowel involvement and he's just about  4. Their guidelines are ridiculous....Vitamin A, D and E on the other hand are fat soluble so can potentially be dangerous at extremely high levels over long periods of time. Exactly what those levels are and how long is a matter of debate. For example, the alloptahic medical community feels "safe levels" of Vitamin D are FAR lower than what an alternative practioner would say is "safe".

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM

yeah, the daily recommend allowance is just enough to keep the average person from getting scurvy.  

I finally was able to get my Kindle away from my children to check out the appendix pages of the book I mentioned before.  She list the following books, Impossible Cure by Amy Lansky, Ph.D.  The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro, R.S. Hom.  and Healing Our Children by Ramiel Nagel and also the web site http://www.westonaprice.org and Hilary's site http://beyondconformity.org.nz/

Done with diapers!!

#9 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Isn't vitamin A toxicity specifically for the non beta carotene (retinol?) vitamin A that is derived from livers (not vegan)? Juxtaposed is to that is the vegan form of vit D (D2) is toxic if taken in large doses. I a vegan but I make an exception for vitamin D and get it from lanolin sources so it is at least vegetarian. 

The reason I came to this thread is because I think my lo's got pertussis the week they spent in  a daycare (then the daycare director kicked us out). Now all three of us are waking up at night coughing and can barely sleep, I'm coughing twice as much as the two kids combined. It's only been a week and a half so I'm still hoping we just have a cold. I have been giving my kids 25000 IU beta carotene twice a day, 5000 IU D3 twice a day, 1/4 tsp SA three times a day, and I have been taking double all of that. I have also stopped drinking plain water and have been adding grape fruit seed extract or oil of oregano and lemon juice to our bottles of water. We have been doing this for the past week and are still sick. During the day we are basically okay but I'm soo tired from coughing all night. I am halfway tempted to go see a doctor but really want to avoid antibiotics... but if were still sick in a week I'll probably give in and go. Oddly enough I think I'm much sicker than my two non vaxed kids who seem way more resilient than I am. Why can't homeopaths or naturopaths have sliding scale clinics like regular Dr's do?

member234098 likes this.

be good family...

#10 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Are you asking if she writes about vitamin A and toxicity specifically? No that is not addressed in her booksin and of itself, but I believe she may touch on Vitamin a in the treatment and prevention of measles. (maybe)  

No, I meant more just alternative therapies/treatments for vpds.

ShiningPearl, I'll check out those books and sites, thanks.

#11 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Some things I've found about Vitamin A and Measles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1285727

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1565535

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/91/5/1014.abstract   /   http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/91/5/1014.full.pdf+html

Quote:

The recommended regimen is 100 000 IU by mouth at the time of diagnosis for infants younger than 12 months of age, and 200 000 IU for older children.

Acute vitamin A toxicity is uncommon and usually associated with high intake (cumulative doses frequently greater than I 000 000 IU) over 2 to 3 weeks.1415
member234098 likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page