Dog Scratch... Tetanus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 8 and was immunized through 6 months so had 3 tetanus shots.

Tonight he was outside playing with the dog who had been let out to potty about 1/2 hour before and somehow the dog's paw slipped and her claw brushed his gum just under his upper lip.

It barely broke the surface, really more of a scrape than a scratch. It bled a little and I brought him in and rinsed it with water and had him rinse with hydrogen peroxide. I'm just concerned that because this was a mouth wound that I have more to worry about. It's been a few hours and I really can't even see the scratch anymore, but I'm still a little worried. Anyone want to tell me to calm down and stop freaking out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Calm down and stop freaking out and scaring yourself over nothing...how many kids have you heard of getting a dog scratch resulting in a case of tetanus??

#3 of 3 Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Welcome aboard, Mirranda!

Your child has had 3 tetanus shots, and you said it was neither a deep nor a dirty wound, which is what seems to increase the likelihood of tetanus infection.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say:

"See your doctor to obtain a tetanus booster shot if you have a deep or dirty wound and you haven't had a booster shot within the past five years or aren't sure of your vaccination status. Or see your doctor about a tetanus booster for any wound — especially if it may have been contaminated with dirt, animal feces or manure — if you haven't had a booster shot within the past 10 years or aren't sure of your vaccination status."

Your child had tetanus vaccine within the last 10 years, and it wasn not a dirty wound (dogs rarely step in their own feces, unless you suspect differently about your own dog), plus you cleaned it right away.

My child was bitten by his teacher's pet chinchilla, and it didn't even draw blood--my son knew enough to squeeze it like crazy to make it bleed, one drop.  The school nurse was having fits, insisting that he needed a tetanus shot.  Our pediatrician just laughed and said, no, he didn't, the nurse was just over-reacting.  And, no, he did not get tetanus.

I hope that you talked to your doctor before coming here for information? If not, I suggest you ask for your doctor's opinion.

member234098 likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page