An opportunity to expose my children to Chicken Pox... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey there,

We do not vaccinate at all, and will not.

I have a friend who emailed me to inform that her son has chicken pox. Would you purposefully expose your children?

Why or why not?

-Hannah

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Yes. That is how I got cp, pox party before vax existed, I think mostly because it is easier to plan time off from work/childcare arrangements when you know it is probably coming vs. total surprise.

If you do not plan on vaxing at all, it might be better for your kids to get cp younger than take chance and not getting it until teen/adult. 

I am glad I have the natural immunity, I was around someone with cp when I was pregnant about 3-4 months, (an adult in our house who actually had pretty mild time of it). If I had gotten vax when it came out in 1995? it would've been 14 years since vax, maybe I wouldn't have had any immunity while pregnant, which poses some risks.

If your kids are at an age you think would be good to handle it, I would say go for it. Unless you had some big plans for the next few weeks.

#3 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post
If your kids are at an age you think would be good to handle it, I would say go for it. Unless you had some big plans for the next few weeks.

They are 3.5 and 5.5. Old enough?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#4 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM

I would be ok with those ages personally. I think really the only problem is small infants. 

#5 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM

We dont vax at all either, and yes I would totally expose them to it. My mom tried to get me to catch CP when I was a kid and I just couldnt get them, but when I moved out of home and started partying (lowered immune) when i was 16 I got them, and it was really awful. I couldnt swallow my own salive my throat hurt so bad. And I still have scars. Better to get it over and done with when they are younger, I would be comfortable with the ages you posted. Hopefully they get a good dose, I have heard if you get a very light case, you can get them again. Good luck! Oh, also have you read about CP and shingles connection?

#6 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobop View Post

Oh, also have you read about CP and shingles connection?

What about it? Anything I should know?

#7 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM

I dont know much about it, so cant offer advice other than to research it on the net. I thought originally that maybe you had an increased likelihood of developing shingles if you didnt have CP till you were older, but from what I googled the opposite is true. I am not sure how this info has affected other parents decisions. It feels more natural to me to have CP when you are a child, but that is just because the way we grew up, I know diff. people have diff. experiences. Of course one doesnt want polio etc at any age. But it felt normal to have measles and CP and rubella when I was a kid. Sort of get it over and done with. So to have CP as a child and know that the experts online say that you increase your chances of getting shingles as an adult versus never having CP as a child and getting a case of it as an adult may be a personal decision where you have to weigh the pros and cons.

#8 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Plus I seem to recall that CP is a virus (varicella-zoster virus), and like HPV viruses retract into our spinal columns/ chords, lying deep and dormant. When we are run down and of low immune they resurface. So we have an element of control over them.

#9 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM

I would definitely do it.  Those are a good age to get CP. 

We have dealt with shingles as well and I do not believe that there is any concern connected with shingles that would impact this decision.  I would probably actively avoid CP if reasonably possible for a baby under one or maybe up to two years, however, due to concern that too mild a case may cause later problems.  (Our twins had it as babies 3mo because their big sister had them at that time.  It was supermild then--but one twin later had shingles, his twin sis got CP a second time at 5yo.  They were both fine but I wouldn't set that situation up on purpose.)

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#10 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM

I would jump at the chance to expose my kids.  I'd rather get it over with now than have to worry about them catching it when they are older and it will be more unpleasant.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#11 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM

I got my CP through a "pox party" too when I was about 7.  I have a 3 y/o and I would not expose her yet, honestly.  She doesn't do well with illness, doesn't sleep and doesn't understand yet.  I think age 7 was a good age to get it, though it was pretty sucky.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page