Venturing away from vaccines . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old who are currently up to date on vaccines.  My husband and I have been doing some research and are learning about all the dangers of vaccines and we have decided that we would like to stop vaccinating our family (ourselves as well as our daughters).  That being said, we are a naval family and our primary health care is provided via military MDs.  We also move state to state frequently.  We are currently planning on homeschooling through the 8th grade and then enrolling our children in high school.  So for the time being, we will not have to deal with school officials, but we will have to deal with the military and eventually school officials and so on.  What is the best way to handle all the "concerned professionals" who want to push vaccines?  My biggest fear is getting reported to CPS for this decision - I literally get nausous thinking about having to battle CPS to keep my kids (and I realize this might be an irrational fear, but it is a fear none the less).

So long story short, how do I stand up for my kids' rights?  Can/should I just quit going to well child visits and use our medical system when there is a real issue only, or will that cause a more aggressive reaction from the medical personel?  And can/if so how can my husband stand up for his rights as to refuse vaccines as military personel?  He has been in for 7 years now and never reported a medical or religous objection when he joined, so can he do so now?  And can I report a religious objection on behalf of my kids now when I have not in the past or is it to late?

Sorry to be so wordy, but any help/info would really lower my current stress level!!!

Edited to remove autism related questions (moved those questions to more appropriate thread!)

THanks ladies!!!!!!!!!

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM

hug2.gif

This is a long post and I will try and come back and address some points later.

I would carefully write another post and post it in special needs.  I would leave out any reference to vaccines.

What I would ask is:  

-do you think it is possible to diagnose or suspect autism in a one year old

-do MD's have to report to the feds on developmental delays?  (my suspicion is that this is load of BS and it goes against confidentiality)

My own belief on well child visits is that after a certain age (around 1) it is fine to abandon them and only go to the doctor as needed.  The suspicion of autism, however, is a game changer.  Early diagnosis gives autistic individuals the best chance with things such as ABA.  Learn more about when and who can diagnose autism.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I will look into the autism thing seperately.  That is a good idea!  But I do still need to figure out how to handle the whole vaccine thing.

Married to the love of my life partners.gif (career navy), and Mama to 2 amazing little ladies - K~ (03/2009)blahblah.gif and M~ (01/2011)biggrinbounce.gif always to wish I had gotten to know our little ones lost angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif   Reconfiguring my career track and working hard to keep my sanity through it all . . .

homebirth.jpgbfinfant.gifsaynovax.gifcd.gif  homeschool.gif 

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootMama99 View Post

What is the best way to handle all the "concerned professionals" who want to push vaccines?  My biggest fear is getting reported to CPS for this decision - I literally get nausous thinking about having to battle CPS to keep my kids.

I can think of two ways to handle this.  

One would be to claim religious reasons for not vaccinating.  I think doctors and the like are less likely to question this.

Another way to handle it is to come across as assertive, friendly and in control.  Practice saying a line such as "We are not going to vaccinate at this moment.  If we have any questions about vaccines, we will come to you."  Try not to get into an argument with them - and do point out they are not in daycare, you are still nursing, etc  (if true)..these things have pacified my doctors in the past.  Dress well when you go in, make sure to mention hubby, generally do anything you can to look like a well educated, middle class or higher parent.  It really sucks - but I strongly suspect two parent, well educated, and middle class or higher families get less flack from the medical community or other "concerned professionals" than those who come off as lower class.  I have seen it happen time and again.  

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List