How do I Not Vaccinate??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am new to this 'I am not vaccinating' topic. I have two boys aged 2 and 5 and so far we've done all the required vaccines. However we are moving from Belgium to Washington DC this summer and we are required by the school (Washington International School) to do more vaccinations in line with the DC Health Board, as well as tuberculosis test and lead contamination test (yes, for DC this is a requirement). If we decide to do all of these, we should do them in Belgium because we arrive in DC too late in the summer to have it done before school starts.
But my question is, those of you who decide not to vaccinate (which I fully understand, I am not questioning your decision), how do you get around with the school etc? How do you justify it to the school, what kind of problems do you encounter?
Personally, I see no alternative if I want my 5 year old to start K in September. Enlighten me please smile.gif
Thanks
Eva
#2 of 2 Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here in the states most of them have exemptions, medical, religious, or philosophical...usually you just fill out a form, and hand it in, and then its in the child's file.  Some states require it to be notarized, which a bank can do, other states like mine, they have the form right at the school.  

Quote:
District of Columbia
"No certification of immunization shall be required for the admission to a school of a student: 
(1) For whom the responsible person objects in good faith and in writing, to the chief official of the school, that immunization would violate his or her religious beliefs; or (2) For whom the school has written certification by a private physician, his or her representative, or the public health authorities that immunization is medically inadvisable." (D.C. Code 38-506)

it looks like all you'd have to do is write your own, and your children will not have to get any more vaccines to be enrolled in school...you can find religion at any time, and stop vaccines, and write an exemption.  

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/childcare/documents/HealthCertificate.pdf   < it says in teeny tiny writing under the graph in the 2nd page. 

You DO have a choice

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page