conflicting info on Kaiser's Measles Vaccine Project? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

I am finding what looks like conflicting info on a Measles Vaccine Project undertaken by Kaiser.  The Wikipedia link (I know, I know, Wikipedia....) says that the project was ended early when increased mortality appeared in other countries:

FROM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Permanente:

Measles vaccine project participation

Between June 1990 and October 1991, Kaiser, along with the Los Angeles CountyDepartment of Health, Johns Hopkins University and the CDC carried out a clinical trial of the Edmonton strain of Measles vaccine. The Los Angeles arm of the trial involved 1500 (900 receiving the study treatment) mostly black and Latino babies. Other arms ran in Haiti and several African countries. The aim was to induce immunity to Measles earlier, as cases in young children had been causing alarm. The trial was ended early when increased mortality appeared in other countries. Inadequate consent had been obtained, in that parents were not informed that the vaccine, licenced in other countries and registered with the FDA as a trial medication, was unlicensed in the U.S. This raised concerns over US government department ethics, and occasioned an apology by the CDC[48] who ascribed it to an administrative oversight. 

Yet, https://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/reports/spclrpts/spcrpt95/cd95edmo.pdf doesn't mention the project ending early, nor the fact that adequate consent had not been obtained by parents.  It does mention that SEVERAL studies found increasing mortality, particularly among African female children who received the measles vaccine, but the article brushes that off as coincidental.

I was wondering if anyone has seen other studies that might shed more light on this issue.

[edit]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

I haven't but I came across your post and noticed that it hadn't received a reply. So I thought I'd bump it up for attention. smile.gif

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List