Vitamin C - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-28-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any suggestions for what type of Vitamin C is best for when our kids if they do come down with something?

#2 of 9 Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Supposedly sodium ascorbate.  But it tastes atrocious.  I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste.  If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know!  I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid.  I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Supposedly sodium ascorbate.  But it tastes atrocious.  I give it liberally to DH but I can't mix it with much to blunt the salty taste.  If anyone has ideas how to get a toddler to take it let me know!  I usually end up giving her gummi Cs from the coop, which are ascorbic acid.  I'd kiss anyone who invented gummi sodium ascorbate vitamins!

Well, I was giving it to my 6 year old cause she had a nasty cough, I tried a few things, she didn't mind it as much in Chocolate milk.  But it is pretty nasty because it's salty, I would imagine that putting it in some broth might help too.

Done with diapers!!

#4 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Mix it in juice - orange is good, but tropical is even better. I've tried it with milk and NEVER. AGAIN.

Juice is definitely the way to go.

Best vitamin C is sodium ascorbate. Liposomal vitamin C is also good as it is more readily absorbed and avoids the issue with bowel tolerance. Ascorbic acid is also quite good, however it can give you a really raw bottom if taken to bowel tolerance.

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#5 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Applesauce with cinnamon! Also, administer smaller doses throughout the day, not just one huge dose at once.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#6 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM

I second putting it in orange juice.  And also second spreading the doses through out the day.

My now 4 year old has been taking SA, especially when sick, for the last two years!  It can be done, but maybe my DS is weird......there's not much he won't take in orange juice (even grapefruit seed extract pill crushed up - soooooo bitter!)

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#7 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Just found this on www.livestrong.com

Vitamin C Overdose

Too much vitamin C can have adverse effects. If you take 6,000mg or more of vitamin C during pregnancy, your infant may develop rebound scurvy because her vitamin C intake will drops after birth. Consult a doctor before using more than 1,000mg vitamin C a day when pregnant, recommends University of Maryland Medical Center. Too much vitamin C, in theory, also can cause excess iron absorption, dental enamel erosion and vitamin B12 deficiency, according to Oregon State University. Vitamin C also may have a diuretic effect. Excessive doses of vitamin C also can lead to diarrhea and nausea, and can acidify the urine, according to Merck.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/255791-why-are-vitamins-a-and-c-considered-at-risk-vitamins-for-kids/#ixzz1wJ57M0Bv

I find it hilarious that Merck would disagree with large doses of vitamin C.  Of course they would!  Not in their best interests to have our kids HEALTHY!  LOL

#8 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was able to get my toddler to take SA by mixing it into sorbet.

member234098 likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 PM

I have such a picky toddler she won't even eat plain applesauce or OJ!  But chocolate milk...That she could get into.  I'll try it in choc milk next time.  Now, I have been having a hell of a time figuring out dosage.  I was planning to start with 1/4 tsp 2x day next time?  For a 32lb 3 y/o.  Is this too little/too much?  I give DH 1 tsp 3xday when he gets sick so trying to figure out a kid amount.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page