Our Ped and the (maybe) new vaccination exemption law (CA) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So CA is attempting to change the vaccination exemption laws - making those who have a philosophical exemption get a signed letter from their doctor for school or whatever. 

My 6yo had a physical today and a few things happened that gave me just a bit more confidence in our ped's office.

1 - I was handed a form to sign when I registered my son. The check-in lady said it was a "consent for any treatment today, including vaccinations". I refused to sign it, and there was no issue with that at all. She just wrote "declined" across it and signed it herself as a witness. (I figure I'm in the doc office, so obviously I'm consenting for some kind of treatment, but I'm not ever going to consent to vaccines, so I'm not signing it.) The check-in lady printed out a paper that goes to the nurse in the back, there's some basic patient info on it, as well as all the vaccines that are needed for this visit. She stamps this paper "BEHIND ON IMMUNIZATIONS" (yes, the stamp was all caps). I had to laugh. The stamp is because the list of 10 vaccines is not enough to tell the nurse/doc that we are behind. :)

2 - We get to the patient room, go over basics with the nurse, then the doc comes in. We are just there for a basic 6yr physical - so nothing major. (My family has a history of cancers, heart disease, diabetes - so I like to have once-a-year check ups for a baseline of care. Just in case.) Doc checks his eyes/ears/heart/lungs/stomach, looks down his shorts (but doesn't touch his penis at all, yay!), then sits at the computer to fill in info. He states "I see you are behind on vaccines, are you ever going to get them?" I tell him no. He says "ok". And that's the end of it. No trying to convince me I'm wrong, no scare tactics, nothing. I love it.

3 - I tell him about how CA is trying to change the law and require this letter. And I ask "if this letter is required for exemption, would you be willing to sign it so I can continue to not vaccinate legally". He says "sure, as long as you know why we believe in the vaccines, and have an understanding of what we are trying to do with them, then I won't have an issue signing whatever I need to sign for you". !!!!! 

I am so happy about this. I have had issues with previous doctors in this practice - one who would try to talk to me about vaccines each visit, and one who told me that my son was having seizures because I didn't vaccinate him (they have a vaccine for seizure disorders now? I had no idea...). *sigh* But this doctor is so good - with the boys, and with me. And he is accepting of the fact that I do know what I'm doing, and allows me to make educated choices regarding my children.

Yay! :)

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#2 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

That's wonderful!  I know what a relief it is to have a supportive and trustworthy ped.! 

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 10 Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM

And FYI:  WA state changed their philisophical exemption form to require a doctor's signature 2 years ago...And I haven't run into or heard of anyone having issues with it.  NDs are allowed to sign the form too, not just MDs.  So even though it feels yucky, if it passes it probably won't be that big of a deal IRL.  Glad you have a supportive doc!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 10 Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

And FYI:  WA state changed their philisophical exemption form to require a doctor's signature 2 years ago...And I haven't run into or heard of anyone having issues with it.  NDs are allowed to sign the form too, not just MDs.  So even though it feels yucky, if it passes it probably won't be that big of a deal IRL.  Glad you have a supportive doc!

For CA they are saying that it has to be an MD - no chiro's or other natural-leaning docs. *shrug*

Like you said, I'm thankful I have a supportive doc. :)

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Molon Labe

#5 of 10 Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM

Hi- just wondering if anyone knew the status of this legislation in CA? Is this a good time to write letters? I'll look around some more online, but thought I'd put this out there if someone is already knowledgeable about this.

Not to threadjack the story about the cool ped! smile.gif

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#6 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I found: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_2101-2150/ab_2109_bill_20120223_introduced.html

Someone posted in another group I'm in that it passed the Appropriations Committee - all Dems voting yes, all Reps voting no. The next step is the Assembly Floor. I haven't heard anything more about it.

Love is an action word. 

Molon Labe

#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Thanks, Monkeygrrl!

I'm just itching to write a letter!!

#8 of 10 Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Hearing is June 27. I don't live close enough to Sacramento to attend the hearing. I will write letter or letters.
(edited because I found the answer to my question)

#9 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM

AB 2109 has passed the Legislature. The last chance to stop this bill is for Governor Brown to veto it.  The governor's phone number is (916) 445-2841.  Multiple adults from the same household can call, asking that he veto the bill.

#10 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM

I would like to send my son to this Dr. Can you tell me his contact info please? My wife and I just moved back to CA with our 3 1/2 year old son Jack. We do not have a Doctor yet and I dread the process of finding one based on the experiences you highlighted in your post. jasonalinder@gmail.com Also we are trying to get Jack into Pre-school and I will be needing the same waiver you signed.  Can you send me a link for this waiver and tell me what I can expect if my son has had some vac's.  I heard that it is either all or nothing and I fear that we will have to give him all his shots to get him into school.  Have you heard about that?

Thanks,

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page