Immunization Phone Survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'm not often a conspiracy theorist, but I got a call just a week after my unvaccinated child had to go to the ER, and two weeks after my other unvaccinated child had a well checkup. I'll just say it's interesting timing.

I went ahead and did the survey, since they didn't ask any identifiying information (only birthdate). It was only about a couple of specific vaccines, our income, and if any of my kids had chicken pox or if we were ever on WIC. Then, he asked for permission to get our child's vaccine records. He wanted his last name and the name of our doctor. I said no. He explained that he was trying to get this information to find out where there needs to be additional vaccine programs and whatnot. I told him I don't agree with the vaccination programs. I said, "well, I don't want you to have my child's information and the CDC think, 'oh, here's another unvaccinated person in this city...let's ramp up our efforts there to get more people vaccinated.'" I told him if they were conducting research on vaccine safety or reactions I would gladly participate, but I would not allow them to take my child as a faceless, "un or undervaccinated", without realizing that it is a deliberate, thoughtful, educated decision.

Poor guy. I know he can't do anything with the info I gave him, but I had to say something. I was polite during my rant. :)

Have they called you? Did you do the survey? Why or why not?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

They have not called me. I would not do the survey if they did. I would ask them to take me off their calling list, otherwise, they call back.

I don't see any good that can come from participating. The more information they have about why people don't vaccinate, and the type of people who don't vaccinate, the more focused their advertising and propaganda campaigns can become.

The above is why I would not participate at all, even anonymously. For privacy reasons, there is no way I would give them my child's full name, doctor's name, and permission to access medical records.

More information here, with links to other threads http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1326240/survey-call-from-the-cdc-i-hung-up-why-are-they-calling

Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Interesting! I just took my unvaxxed child to the ER on memorial day. Wonder if I'll get a call? Thanks for the heads up!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Wow! Interesting! I just took my unvaxxed child to the ER on memorial day. Wonder if I'll get a call? Thanks for the heads up!

You might get a call, but it will have absolutely nothing to do with the ER trip. The calls are done with a random number dialing system. They also call disconnected numbers, people with no kids, etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In all probability you are right but I can't see how you can seem so sure?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM

"The NIS uses random digit dialing (RDD) telephone survey methodology"

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_Documentation/NIS/NISPUF10_DUG.PDF (page 2)

"This method selects a random sample of telephone numbers from “banks” of 100 consecutive telephone numbers (e.g., 773-256-0000 to 773-256- 0099) that contain at least one directory-listed residential telephone number." (page 6) from above link

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis/data_files.htm

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List