do you know any teens or adults who decide to get vaccinated as adults? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you know any formerly unvaccinated teens or adults who researched the issue as teens or adults and decided to have themselves vaccinated?

I am asking because I have heard several posters say the above lately, and I assume these situations are outliers, but I really don't know.

Adults in general are undervaxxed - not up to date on their boosters and the like.  I cannot really imagine most teens and adults making the time to get caught up unless there was a darn good reason (military).  I can see adults selectively vaxxing themselves for one reason or another  - but the whole thing?  Nope.

I have no issues with people vaxxing themselves as adults - it is their bodies, after all.  I also think their immune systems are more developed than infants and babies and they have more ability to look at and communicate what is happening in their body after a vax than a newborn/baby (who has little more than screams and cries unless something goes really wrong greensad.gif )

In any event, I cannot see my kids bothering to get themselves vaxxed for anything but a few select vaccines, (unless they get caught up in the pro-vax movement winky.gif

What are your thoughts?

member234098 likes this.
#2 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM

I have a dear friend who has 5 children, all completely unvaxxed. The oldest daughter decided to go to nursing school, and they told her she had to be utd on all her vaccines, so she agreed to be vaccinated for everything. I don't know if she could have gotten an exemption or not, but she didn't seem to care, even though her mom is seriously anti-vaccine. Is that what you are looking for?

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post

I have a dear friend who has 5 children, all completely unvaxxed. The oldest daughter decided to go to nursing school, and they told her she had to be utd on all her vaccines, so she agreed to be vaccinated for everything. I don't know if she could have gotten an exemption or not, but she didn't seem to care, even though her mom is seriously anti-vaccine. Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks!

Yes, that is what I am looking for - stories of teen and adults you know and their decisions around remaining vax free (which I suspect is the majority) or not.

I suspect most choose to remain vax free - so I am looking for information to confirm or deny this suspicion (as much as one can confirm or challenge a hunch on a message board - that is)

#4 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Interesing question Kathy! Subbing smile.gif

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Ps: I was told I needed to be UTD on vaxxes for midwifery school however I was selectively vaxxed as a child. So I decided to pay out of pocket and get titers run for everything, and LO and behold they all came back as immune, even though it had been 20+ years since I was selectively vaxxed for anything except hepatitis (which I did get boosters for as a teen before international travel.). So that's also an option for adults too rather than just get a whole bunch of shots all at once (which my DH had to do when he applied for his Green Card.)

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM

I have a friend who is a nurse who had to get UTD because he was unvaxxed. I also know two people who chose to get vaxxed because they wanted to travel and thought it best. I only know one person who has chosen to remain unvaxxed as an adult, and she is now rethinking it because her infant was diagnosed with whooping cough and three of her other five unvaccinated children, got it as well. She didnt think it was fun having 4 kids with pertussis at the same time. Also, these are people who eat no processed food, were ebf, eat tons of probiotics, and generally have really healthy immune systems.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM

I have a neighbor who had six children and all of them were completely unvaccinated.  The mother is very anti-vaccine and anti about every other medical thing possible.  Her children are grown now--the youngest is in college.  

At least three of the children have chosen to be vaccinated as adults.  On of them wanted to volunteer with a service organization, and they said that he would not be allowed to serve outside of the USA unless he was completely up-to-date on his vaccines.  If he chose to remain unvaccinated, his service assignment would be in the USA.  He chose to be vaccintated at that time and spent two years serving people in another country.

One of the children chose vaccination for herself when she was in her 30s and having her own children.  

One of the children chose to be completely vaccinated as a college student as a result of his chemistry, biology, etc. courses.

I'm not as familiar with the second two, so I don't know in-depth information regarding their decisions.  All three of them made their decisions independently and the other siblings didn't know until a few years ago.  Their mother does not know that they are vaccinated, or that the majority of her grandchildren are now vaccinated.

#8 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I know a couple of teenagers who are still unvaxed. Also, when I was working as a university lecturer I had two students who were unvaxed. They chose to drop out of the course (undergrad nursing) rather than be vaccinated.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, my best friend is 35 and has never been vaccinated. Her parents have never been vaxed. She has two kids that she hasn't vaccinated.

She is a nurse and it IS possible to go through nursing school without getting Vaxed as well. The classes only made her More resolved never to vax.

She had Chicken pox as a child but that is it.

member234098 likes this.

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#10 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssun5 View Post

She is a nurse and it IS possible to go through nursing school without getting Vaxed

It used to be possible in Australia but not anymore. If you're already registered there are ways to avoid it although it can limit your scope of practice.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 22 yo DD, vaxed up until age 5 (last vaccine was measles), has refused all vaccines as an adult, well the only one she has been offered was Gardasil. I know with absolutely certainty she will never accept another vaccine, and will not vaccinate her children when she has them. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I'm reading this with interest.  

Besides flu and tetanus, the only other vaccine that has ever been recommended to me as an adult was pertussis-- and that was only brought up as an added bonus to revaxxing for tetanus in our current whopping cough epidemic in our state.  (I used to be a pro gardener, and still garden almost everyday, so tetanus vaccine was recommended).

I have never seen a vaccination table for adults.  I've never looked, either, but you think these days there would be more focus in getting adults vaccinated and something like that would be produced in earnest.  I'm surprised NONE of my PCPs have mentioned anything but flu and tetanus.  But, I don't really know that much about these diseases where they concern adults.

(I was mostly vaxxed as a child.  I think-- I really don't know.  I remember getting my last oral polio booster at about 4 or 5yo, then after that was only at school.  Occasionally!)

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#13 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM

I just got this in my inbox randomly,  Thought it was interesting for this thread.  Most adults are nowhere near "UTD" on vaccines anyway, regardless of their childhood vax history.

http://www.empowher.com/wellness/content/adult-vaccinations-time-catch?page=0,0

#14 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Several of my (college-age) siblings got vaccinated before travel to various places like China, Australia, and South America.  And my sister who is in nursing school had to get up to date on several things in order to work in the hospital.  I feel like she may have been able to get out of it if she fought it, but I'm not really sure.  

#15 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

I just got this in my inbox randomly,  Thought it was interesting for this thread.  Most adults are nowhere near "UTD" on vaccines anyway, regardless of their childhood vax history.

http://www.empowher.com/wellness/content/adult-vaccinations-time-catch?page=0,0

What seems to be emerging is that adults get vaxxed when they feel they need to - travel, admission requirement, etc.

If I had to rank it at this point  (total speculation on my part) , I would say:

-most adults do not seek wide scale vaccination or being totally up to date for themselves

-if they do , it is is often for work or travel reason

-a small group may choose to become up to date because they believe in being up to date.

#16 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
 Most adults are nowhere near "UTD" on vaccines anyway, regardless of their childhood vax history.

most insurance companies simply will not pay for it- it is not mandated in my state that they pay for children- there is a sign at my ped's office that you need to go to public health dept or pay up front for your child $$$$$$$

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 19 Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I'm reading this with interest.  

Besides flu and tetanus, the only other vaccine that has ever been recommended to me as an adult was pertussis-- and that was only brought up as an added bonus to revaxxing for tetanus in our current whopping cough epidemic in our state.  (I used to be a pro gardener, and still garden almost everyday, so tetanus vaccine was recommended).

I have never seen a vaccination table for adults.  I've never looked, either, but you think these days there would be more focus in getting adults vaccinated and something like that would be produced in earnest.  I'm surprised NONE of my PCPs have mentioned anything but flu and tetanus.  But, I don't really know that much about these diseases where they concern adults.

(I was mostly vaxxed as a child.  I think-- I really don't know.  I remember getting my last oral polio booster at about 4 or 5yo, then after that was only at school.  Occasionally!)

The part I bolded is pretty much the vaccine table for healthy, low risk adults.  Well, and diptheria, but I think tetatnus shots are pretty much always actually Td, which includes that.  

Gardasil is now being recommended to younger woman (to age 27, I think), but that is pretty recent. There are also others on the schedule for those at higher risk of certain diseases (such as healthcare workers), those who didn't have chickenpox as a child, those who didn't get the MMR  series as children, or shingles and one other for adults over the age of 60/65.  

But for most healthy, low risk adults under the age of sixty, all that is recommended currently is pertussis once, Td every ten years, and the annual flu shot, so your PCPs likely didn't have anything else to mention as far as vaccines go.  

#18 of 19 Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster! 

Just wanted to jump in and say that my mother was completely unvaxxed as a child (due to her mother witnessing the neighbors child die the day after getting the polio vaccine greensad.gif) and at the age of 50 she went to work in a hospital. She agreed to get vaccinated, however they found that after giving her the Hep B vaccine her body completely rejected it and the vaccine didn't 'take' at all!  

purslaine likes this.
#19 of 19 Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I have never seen a vaccination table for adults.  

Here it is.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule.pdf

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page