Question about "Herd Immunity" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I am newly returned her to MDC. It has been a few years.

My 4 year old has recently been diagnosed with Epilepsy and I have been all over the web the last while trying to find more information. I put "seizures" into the MDC search engine and alot of the post on vaccines have come up. I stopped Vaxing my oldest at about 18 months once I realized I didn't have to be bullied into it by the Ped. My 3 younger kids are vax free.

So I read alot of the older post and debates about vax, and something that I honestly just don't seem to be able to wrap my head around is the idea of us non-vaxer "messing up" herd immunity. I get that if we don't vax that that puts us at a greater risk of potentially contracting......blah blah blah....but someone please enlighten me as to how that puts "them" in danger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Its not "them"

The claim is unvaccinated put the population at risk who can not be Vaxed because of medical reasons or are too young to get their shots yet.

At least I think that is what they mean...

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM

So sorry about your 4 y/o. The reason why pro vaxxers think that us not vaxxing "ruins it for the rest of them" are threefold. 1.). Vaccines are not 100% effective. Some have quite low efficacy like pertussis, rotavirus, flu...So vaxxed children can still get VPDs. 2.). Some vaccines require a large portion of the population to be vaxxed to reduce that VPD in society, the figure quoted is usually if the vaccine omplisnce rate falls below 95% then the cases of that disease go up. (This goes back to the vaccines are not 100% effective thing, as the incidence goes up in vaxxed and non vaxxed alike.). 3.). Some kids will contact VPDs when they are too young to get the vax (ie: Measles in an under 1 y/o) and people usually rush to blame non vaxxers in cases like this.

While these all might be true, I still feel 100% that my choice to not vax is mine as a parent, and I will not let public health bully me into doing something I feel is not right for my child. If the recommendation of public health was to have 100% of the population go on low dose long term antibiotics to prevent the spread of MRSA for example, there would be a major outcry. Herd Immunity is important, but personal autonomy for health care decisions does ultimately end with the parent. I think that good solid informed choice and safer non multi dose vaccines is the key to higher vax compliance rates, not guilt about herd immunity.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
Herd Immunity is important, but personal autonomy for health care decisions does ultimately end with the parent. I think that good solid informed choice and safer non multi dose vaccines is the key to higher vax compliance rates, not guilt about herd immunity.

Since "vaccination" does not provide herd immunity we can have herd immunity and free choice BOTH.

Herd immunity is acquired when a large portion of a population has contacted the WILD disease NATURALLY and developed immunity to it. Since "vaccination" cannot confer individual immunity it can NEVER confer herd immunity.

"Vaccination" induced herd immunity is a MYTH.

#5 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephManietta View Post
I get that if we don't vax that that puts us at a greater risk of potentially contracting......blah blah blah....but someone please enlighten me as to how that puts "them" in danger?

Here is a thread that discusses "vaccination" and Herd Immunity.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1357858/vaccination-does-not-confer-herd-immunity

In summary sleep tight, your not "vaccinating" will not diminish our herd immunity.

In fact it is "vaccination" that will decrease herd immunity.

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page