tetanus fear from something that poked - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 3 year old hurt her finger. She says it was from a sofa she was playing on. She said it was "pokey". It really hurt. She wouldn't really let me look or touch. I didn't see anything but it was a few minutes or more after it happened. It bothered her longer than most  owies. Now I am afraid of tetanus. I hear sometimes that you can get it from little wounds like splinters. Maybe she was stuck by a pin or something. It was a wicker sofa.

I am in a bit of the panic mode.

Anyone have thoughts??

#2 of 9 Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Tetanus is extremely rare. In the United States, there are about 30 cases per year (18 cases in 2009), and most are in heroin users and people over 40.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/tetanus.html

#3 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

but wouldn't it be rare if most people are getting vaxed for it?  The people who get it are probably people who didn't get a booster.

#4 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Between 2001 and 2008, a span of 8 years, there were 233 cases of tetanus in the U.S.

(average of 29 cases per year).

In children 5-19 years, there were a total of 22 cases in 8 years (average of 3 per year).

27% had unknown vaccine status, 46% had no tetanus vaccines, 5% had 1 dose, 5% had 3 doses, and 18% had 4 or more doses.

There were no deaths from tetanus in children 5-19 years old

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6012a1.htm (Table 1)

#5 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

No, actually drug users and the elderly are most at risk of contracting tetanus due to immune system issues those people generally have.   i havent had a tetanus vax in 25yrs, and  my kids never got one. they are mostly grown now as well...my youngest is 16.   Tetanus spores are found mainly in horse dung/farms and contaminated soil....you should read up about it to ease your mind.  Tetanus is one of the most uncommon diseases to pick up.  And the vax is not 100% guaranteed, so assuming people who didn't get a booster caught tetanus, or assuming that people are protected from tetanus by being vaxed,  is moot.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

but wouldn't it be rare if most people are getting vaxed for it?  The people who get it are probably people who didn't get a booster.

#6 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did it bleed? Blood would oxygenate the wound and flush it out pretty well. Tetanus is most risky on wounds that didn't bleed. Did you clean it well with soap and water and maybe H202? If so then I don't think you need to worry excessively, though trust me, I get it. I've been there.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#7 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

Think of how many adults don't get boosters. And then think of how many adults get wounds and don't clean them well. And still there are not many cases a year (Canada only has 1-3 a year)I agree tetanus is a real concern in the world, but the risk does seem truly small.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#8 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The best thing to do right now since you're not a vaxxing mama is to do the old soak the finger in epson salt and water deal. I was not vaxxed as a child and thats what my mom did. I never had issues with it. And I stepped on a few rusty nails in my time.
#9 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

i think i found it last night while she slep. A tiny little black splinter. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page