anyone have stats on exactly what type of wounds caused tetanus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am looking for statistics on what injuries have caused tetanus. I don't mean the generic "puncture wound" I mean this person got tetanus and had a wound from...

Know what I mean? 

I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks!

#2 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5203a1.htm (Table 2)

By the way, Figure 2 from the same link above shows that there were zero cases per million in Hawaii 1998-2000.

#3 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tetanus is so rare in the US now I doubt there is a sizable body of incidence reports anywhere near to up to date.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tetanus%20incidence%20reports%20&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

Tetanus is the classic fear based "vaccine"

#4 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5203a1.htm (Table 2)

By the way, Figure 2 from the same link above shows that there were zero cases per million in Hawaii 1998-2000.

That is really interesting!  I was very surprised by the number of patients whose initial injury had occured "at home or indoors". 

#5 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

That is really interesting!  I was very surprised by the number of patients whose initial injury had occured "at home or indoors". 

Yes, during that 3 year time period, an average of 12 people per year, out of a population of about 300 million.

#6 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Yes, during that 3 year time period, an average of 12 people per year, out of a population of about 300 million.

LOL  Don't worry, I wasn't trying to say that every little paper cut was an issue.  From what I've heard via anecdotes, one of the factors contributing to the mortality rate among people who get tatanus, is that doctors see it so rarely that they don't always recognise it promptly.  An older relative was hospitalised for several days before he was diagnosed, but by then it was too late and he died the next day.  There was a tetanus case in my hometown where the patient recovered, and her doctor freely admitted that the only reason she was diagnosed and treated promptly was that she told him what she had.

#7 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM

It is caused by the tetanus bacterium Clostridium tetani. Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails, but this concept is somewhat misleading. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbor anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more C. tetani bacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for a C. tetani endospore to reside, and the nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospore into the wound. An endospore is a non-metabolizing survival structure that begins to metabolize and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Because C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it and its endospores survive well in an environment that lacks oxygen. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment is provided by the same object that causes a puncture wound, delivering endospores to a suitable environment for growth.

#8 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
An older relative was hospitalised for several days before he was diagnosed, but by then it was too late and he died the next day.  There was a tetanus case in my hometown where the patient recovered, and her doctor freely admitted that the only reason she was diagnosed and treated promptly was that she told him what she had.

LOL  What are the odds?

#9 of 21 Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM

sorry in advanced. My brain is mush - but what about a dog bite? My son was attacked by a dog, and at the hospital they gave me a HORRIBLE time when I was questioning them about the tetanus shot - they also said I only had the dtap option, which I later found out was a lie. Anyway, I'd like to know...how likely is it to get tentanus from a dog bite. sigh. 

#10 of 21 Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I recently got bitten by a dog, and i haven't had a tetanus vax in more than 25yrs.  I simply told the ER triage nurse it was against my beliefs, and nothing of the sort was needed.  I had a puncture on the top of my hand in between my middle and ring finger knuckles...it went pretty deep and i believe the dog's tooth hit the bone.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail Adams View Post

sorry in advanced. My brain is mush - but what about a dog bite? My son was attacked by a dog, and at the hospital they gave me a HORRIBLE time when I was questioning them about the tetanus shot - they also said I only had the dtap option, which I later found out was a lie. Anyway, I'd like to know...how likely is it to get tentanus from a dog bite. sigh. 

#11 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Dog bites are a "dirty puncture wound" and animals do have the possibility to carry tetanus in their saliva since some eat feces of other animals, so I don't think it was unreasonable to want to do tetanus prophylaxis for a dog bite. That said, if your LO (or yourself) was unvaccinated they need to offer TIG not a tetanus shot! A single DTaP or adult Td would do little for a totally unvaxxed person other than to set their body up for building immunity after 2 consecutive shots in the future. If they didn't offer TIG they must not have been seriously concerned about this injury as a tetanus risk and were just trying to get a dose of vaccine into the child for "the future."

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#12 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Dog bites are a "dirty puncture wound" and animals do have the possibility to carry tetanus in their saliva since some eat feces of other animals, so I don't think it was unreasonable to want to do tetanus prophylaxis for a dog bite. That said, if your LO (or yourself) was unvaccinated they need to offer TIG not a tetanus shot! A single DTaP or adult Td would do little for a totally unvaxxed person other than to set their body up for building immunity after 2 consecutive shots in the future. If they didn't offer TIG they must not have been seriously concerned about this injury as a tetanus risk and were just trying to get a dose of vaccine into the child for "the future."

Made a new account - so this is meee (abigail) replying lol. They told me they had give my DS the TIG & the DTaP. I asked if they could just do the TIG shot, but they said no...and started going on and on, and I didn't have the resources at the time to know if they were telling me the truth or not. It was a crazy day, but I recall them saying that the TIG wouldn't last long enough...and I asked well how long could tenanus stay in one's system and they couldn't tell me! And of course I had just gone to a Vax information seminar by Dr.Palevsky the evening before, so I was extra paranoid and had lots of questions to ask them, which they couldn't answer! Anyway, I finally agreed. 

Thanks for that info, I feel less...defeated....I guess that's the word. I dono. blah. 

chicken3.gif

#13 of 21 Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
#14 of 21 Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllerysMama View Post
Made a new account - so this is meee (abigail) replying lol. They told me they had give my DS the TIG & the DTaP. I asked if they could just do the TIG shot, but they said no...and started going on and on, and I didn't have the resources at the time to know if they were telling me the truth or not.

Classic bullying. They know parents are stressed out and don't have the resources to research in the emergency room. They were lying. DTaP does nothing for a current injury.

#15 of 21 Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

History of tetanus

"Tetanus incidence and mortality declined by more than 99 percent prior to the development of the tetanus vaccine in the 1940s. This decline is cited from medical sources in the book Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective? by Neil Z. ******:"

“During the mid-1800s, there were 205 cases of tetanus per 100,000 wounds among U.S. military personnel. By the early 1900s, this rate had declined to 16 cases per 100,000 wounds--a 92 percent reduction. During the mid-1940s, the incidence of tetanus dropped even further to .44 cases per 100,000 wounds. Some researchers attribute this decline to an increased attention to wound hygiene.”

http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20100317.htm

Wound hygiene seems to be the key to successfully surviving a tetanus infection. Since the tetanus bacteria likes an oxygen free environment IMO you do not want to close off the wound with a bandage but to constantly oxygenate it. H2O2 frequently poured/forced (an eye dropper full squeezed into a narrow puncture)  directly into an open wound would seem the way to go. As long as the H2O2 is fizzing up it is oxygenating something so keep it up until the fizzing stops.

There are cases of fully vaccinated people dying of tetanus.

http://www.beyondconformity.co.nz/resources/tetanus

#16 of 21 Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

Wound hygiene seems to be the key to successfully surviving a tetanus infection. Since the tetanus bacteria likes an oxygen free environment IMO you do not want to close off the wound with a bandage but to constantly oxygenate it. H2O2 frequently poured/forced (an eye dropper full squeezed into a narrow puncture)  directly into an open wound would seem the way to go. As long as the H2O2 is fizzing up it is oxygenating something so keep it up until the fizzing stops.

This exactly. 

Tetanus is so unlikely when there is exposure to oxygen. Risk factors for it are issues such as poor circulation or an incredibly deep wound that does not bleed. If there is bleeding, you are likely to be fine. 

Also, the thing that cause the wound would ALSO have to have not been exposed to oxygen before puncturing the skin...so a nail deep in the soil, yes. A rusty nail sticking out of a post...not likely, especially as rust is a sign of oxygen exposure!

As with all these fears of vaccine "preventable" diseases, it is best to focus on what the symptoms of the disease look like and how to deal with them safely or prevent them naturally. If we all panic about the latest outbreak the fear tactics work. If we focus on positive steps to health that helps us with our natural immunity then that's a better use of our energy!

:)

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#17 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 AM

My mom got a spider bite, and was coerced into getting a tetanus shot.  They couldn't explain how such a bite, while indoors, could give her tetanus, but she complied.  Was told she was being given just the T part, but after recovering from being sicker than she had EVER been at that point in her life (started a day after the shot), she went back and got her records, and it was the dtap (tdap whatever, don't know!).  She then quit that office.

OH, and since she had never had any version of that shot before (born in '44), seems from reading here that it would have done nothing at all!  Fabulous.

#18 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Banned

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkybean View Post

Was told she was being given just the T part, but after recovering from being sicker than she had EVER been at that point in her life (started a day after the shot), she went back and got her records, and it was the dtap (tdap whatever, don't know!).  She then quit that office.

This lying about the contents of the "vaccine" you are to receive is common.  What does this tell us about the integrity of our Medical System? IMO we must know the facts on "vaccines" and challenge those who attempt to mislead us. This holds in triplicate for "doctors and nurses" 

The DTaP or some combination of "vaccines" is almost always given when you ask for a "tetanus vaccine"; presumably because you are "too stupid" to know the difference and "too stupid" not to know that the more "vaccines" shoved into your body the better. Better yet you are now "too stupid" to know when you have been injured by a "vaccine".

On a lighter note I guess the end result will be a single combination "vaccine" that will "protect" you from EVERYTHING and also make you smarter, richer and faster to boot!

#19 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelM View Post

Also, the thing that cause the wound would ALSO have to have not been exposed to oxygen before puncturing the skin...so a nail deep in the soil, yes. A rusty nail sticking out of a post...not likely, especially as rust is a sign of oxygen exposure!

This is not accurate.  Tetanus bacteria can not survive in oxygen, true.  But tetanus spores can survive pretty much anything, including oxygen exposure.  They are extremely difficult to kill, and once in the appropriate environment will germinate and become tetanus bacteria.  So a rusty nail up in the air in a post where it is washed by rain and unlikely to have contact with manure probably still wouldn't be that much of a risk, I guess?  But a nail lying on top of the ground, or the tines of a pitchfork that has recently been used to turn the manure pile could give you tetanus even though both are exposed to air. 

#20 of 21 Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 AM

I was also told that I should consider a tetanus booster after I was stung by a wasp about four years ago. eyesroll.gif I declined.

For me the bigger issue was that my ankle swelled to the size of a softball, so I'm more concerned about my next run in with wasp venom than the theoretical risk of tetanus.

Oh and I'm still alive as you can see. I haven't learned how to log in from the great beyond or anything. winky.gif

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#21 of 21 Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This may sound silly but......  what about thistles??  We live rurally and a good portion of our yard is covered in them.  Always telling the kiddos to wear their shoes and they avoid the areas where the thistles are very thick.  However, I am pulling out at least one a week in someone's foot.  

Baker's Wife and Catholic Unschooling Mama to Simeon (12), James (9), Amos (7) and Annie (4) and Jonah (2)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page