Just trying to build my strength up for a doctor's appt today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have to take my kids to the county health clinic for a health assessment so that I can enroll them in their new school. I'm just trying to build myself up for the inevitible "zomg you are a terrible mother" lecture that I will get. The check ups always go perfectly fine, with the kids showing as perfectly healthy and great, and then they ask about vax status, and suddenly you would think that I said that I douse them in liquid hot magma every night before bed.

(And yeah, I have to go here for the assessments because I don't have health insurance and going to a clinic saves me a good $100.)

I hate this. I haaaate being lectured at by another adult, and I refuse to engage in any debate or discussion about it. So I just have to steel myself for listening to it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Don't have much to say, but wish you luck, Hope you get an understanding person with out judgement.  One who does their job but leaves emotion out of it. 

Done with diapers!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM

You have to get the kids a health assessment before starting school?  Odd.

I would practice a few lines before hand.  Use whatever line you feel comfortable with.

If you really do not want debate, I would say it is against your religion (who is going to argue with that?) or that your partner (who is not present) is uncomfortable with vaccines, but you will take any literature home for him to look over.  

Sending vibes of strength goodvibes.gif

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Stay calm, listen patiently to the doctor, and try (it's hard!) not to get emotional.

If your child has ever had reactions to shots, make sure to mention them, even if there's no record of them in your child's medical files.  In fact, type it out on your computer (generate a paper trail that YOU have access to, should your doctor lose it), and print out a copy for your ped to keep in your child's records. You can also print out something from the Pink Book about vaccine reactions, so that they know that YOU know it was a vaccine reaction, not a coincidence.

I think doctors are beginning to listen to parents who mention reactions, because they are now getting nervous about being sued for malpractice when there is a paper trail of previous reaction. When there is a paper trail of previous reaction, that MAY open them up to liability--which they would want to avoid.

That said, do not bring in printouts from sites perceived as "anti-vaccine," like Mercola.com, ageofautism, NVIC, naturalnews, etc.  But printouts from PubMed, GoogleScholar, .gov, BMJ, ADA, etc., would be hard for your doctor to argue with (as long as they are relevant to your situation).

Good luck, hang in there!

And remember--the doctor is technically YOUR employee.  You are paying HIM (or her).  You can fire HIM (or her).

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

You have to get the kids a health assessment before starting school?  Odd.

Not odd at all--it's standard in the US.  

They claim that your child can't go to school without the health assessment/VACCINATION UPDATES. And some doctors refuse to sign the health assessment if you are not up-to-date on vaccines. Some doctors even refuse to accept your child into their practice if the child is not up-to-date on vaccines.

And schools will not let your child attend classes without the health assessment/vaccination update, and the schools NEVER tell you that you can exercise a religious/philosophical/medical exemption from vaccination.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Not odd at all--it's standard in the US.  

For a bit of country comparison…..

In Canada:

Sometimes it is suggested children see a doctor before starting k or grade 1 here - often to get their eyes checked.

No one has to see a doctor here before starting school. Many kids do see one, and there are some shots given at 4-5 yrs, but seeing a doctor before starting school is not a requirement.

3/10 provinces require some form of exemption if you do not vax.  Mine was easy to get (philosophical).  

No one has to submit a health assessment to enrol in school.  

Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM

One more thing - I often find looking like you are willing to leave the door open to vaxxing in the future pacifies health care providers.  Nodding, and saying I am willing to go home and read their info and will follow-up with them if I have any questions has put an end to a few  vaccine discussions.  

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Lots of good advice here already. This is what I thought of before I read the other posts:

Think of a few lines that you will repeat each time they say something. Such as, "Thank you, but we choose to not vaccinate at this time." and "Thank you, I will look into that." And lots of nodding while not saying anything. Then treat yourself to an enjoyable experience afterwards so you have something to look forward to.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

All my worries for nothing! She asked about vaccinations, and I said we file a religious exemption with the school. That was all! Whew!

She did circle "vaccinations" on the topics of anticipatory guidance section, but I guess I'm not worried about that too much. (She also circled "behavior" on my son's chart, and my son is every teacher's dream student and an extremely well-behaved little boy. She circled hygiene on both of them, which baffles me because we are extremely clean and neat. But maybe she does that for everyone?)

Thank you all for your good advice, and it did give me lots of confidence, which I'm glad I didn't end up needing. :)

Quote:

They claim that your child can't go to school without the health assessment/VACCINATION UPDATES. And some doctors refuse to sign the health assessment if you are not up-to-date on vaccines. Some doctors even refuse to accept your child into their practice if the child is not up-to-date on vaccines.

And schools will not let your child attend classes without the health assessment/vaccination update, and the schools NEVER tell you that you can exercise a religious/philosophical/medical exemption from vaccination

Yes, this school requires all students new to the district to have a health assessment. I thought it was weird and unnecessary, because both kids have been in school for two years and not only had to have the assessment to attend in the first place, but they also had all those little checkups all year long by the school nurse.

We do not have  physician because of the vax thing. We were kicked out of a practice for not vaxxing when my daughter was 1 (she is now almost 5) and I never found another doctor. Thankfully the kids are never sick, but the two times I had to take the kids to be seen between then and now, I've just lied and said they were up to date on shots, because it was completely irrelevant to why were were there.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:27 PM

As a health care provider, I just wanted address the concerns about her circling items under Anticipatory Guidance. That just means that she addressed those items during the visit. It does not mean their was any type of problem. That section is used to record education/discussion regarding issues that the provider anticipates (usually based on age) the parent and child will be faced with in the coming year. Other categories can be safety, nutrition, sleep, etc. 

Glad it wasn't stressful!

Trying to get my bearings...
Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks Ellie'sMom! I wondered why certain things were circled, especially when I have no concerns about hygiene or behavior! (well, behind his ears gets pretty grubby and it concerns me, but not enough to talk to a doctor. :D  )

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List