"zoo camp" & tetanus shot question - any experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
ber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 8 & we stopped with the vaccinations almost 7 years ago.

I'm in the process of signing him up for a "zoo camp" & the form has a line specifically for "Date of last tetanus vaccination" (it was 8.25.05). There's also a request for a copy of his immunization records.

I'm wondering 2 things:

1. Will the lack of current vaccinations, especially the tetanus, be an issue? I know it will vary from camp to camp, and I'll find out soon enough, but just thinking out loud!

2. Should I be concerned about tetanus if he's going to be in a zoo camp for 5 days?

I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I figured I may as well start my own thread and see if anyone could help me out!

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#2 of 5 Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The tetanus vaccine is supposedly good for 10 years. 2005 was 7 years ago, so I don't see there being any problem.

#3 of 5 Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Except, given the ages of her children, it is doubtful he received all the needed tetanus shots (there are 4 or 5 of them).

That being said, there is a possibility the camp does not know this.  Give them the accurate date of the last tetanus shot and see what happens.

Personally, I would not vaccinate for tetanus for zoo camp.  The chances of tetanus happening is so low.  Look up how infrequent it is in the CDC.  We all have out own risk comfort level, though. 

#4 of 5 Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
ber

He had 4 DTaP (7/04, 9/04, 11/04 & 8/05). Since they want a copy of the vaccination records, they'll see those dates - I was just going to photocopy the page in the vaccination book & attach it to the form.

I did email the camp to ask about their tetanus requirements. I'd rather know sooner rather than later that we're going to have issues getting him into the camp.

kathymuggle - thank you for your thoughts on vaccinating for tetanus. I read up on it when I was initially making decisions about vaccinations, and it would be good for me to refresh my memory. I read more than I post and always appreciate the information you provide in yours!

M, mom to DS1 (8 yrs), DS2 (5 yrs), and DS3 (2 yrs).

#5 of 5 Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber View Post

kathymuggle - thank you for your thoughts on vaccinating for tetanus. I read up on it when I was initially making decisions about vaccinations, and it would be good for me to refresh my memory. I read more than I post and always appreciate the information you provide in yours!

Thank you! I am glad you gain something from my posts! orngbiggrin.gif

I think proper wound care, and encouraging the wound to bleed will cut down on the likelihood of tetanus.

Here is blurb on tetanus from nvic:

http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/Tetanus.aspx

"Tetanus, commonly called lockjaw, is caused by a bacterium that is mostly present in soil, manure, and in the digestive tracts of humans and animals. Tetanus bacteria enter the body through a wound - sometimes as small as a pinprick or deep scratch but most often through a deep puncture wound or laceration such as those made by rusty nails or dirty knives...<snip>Tetanus bacteria do not grow well in the presence of oxygen, which is why deep puncture wounds are a perfect environment for them to grow in."

They also said this, which should reassure you he doesn't need further shots:

"Vaccine makers state that tetanus, DT and Td vaccine provides protection for at least ten years after three or four "primary series"' doses have been given."

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page