DD just scraped her knee on rusty screw on licence plate.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It bled, and I cleaned it with water, didn't have any hydrogen or whatever you're supposed to clean wounds with, and applied Melagel, which is a tea tree medicine.  Anything else I should be doing to it?  I have it lightly covered with gauze right now because she's playing outside....I'm always a freak about cuts/scrapes because my kids are unvaccinated, and tetanus is always a concern of mine.  Any thoughts/words of encouragement greatly appreciated!!!!!

#2 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tetanus is mostly a concern with puncture wounds, I think. I wouldn't worry too uh about a scrape.
#3 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 PM

My 2 unvaxed girls are always getting cuts and scrapes.  I try to clean them with hydrogen peroxide when they happen, but quite often they don't get cleaned until they hit the bathtub at night.  I know the tetanus fear, as I do sometimes start worrying about it too. If there was a thimerisol free tetanus only shot I would consider it. But remember it is so rare and when it does occur it is almost never in healthy children.  Kids get cuts and scrapes all the time (at least mine do).  They are more likely to get hurt doing a million other things than getting tetanus..... :)

#4 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 AM

My unvaxxed DD is constantly also getting scrapes and cuts and insect bites. I understand the worry...But I wouldn't be running to the hospital for TIG for a scratch as it is really not a puncture wound and oxygen can get in, especially if it bled. I find it helps me mentally to always have H202 with me, in the house, in the car, traveling, etc to pour in these million scrapes kids get. DD lives in fear of the bottle. I wish it didn't sting greensad.gif

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 AM

And yes, covering it when she is outside is sensible because then dirt can't get in. I just discovered waterproof bandaids, they have been really helping me not worry on our beach holiday.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 AM

Something similar happened with my daughter. Took her to my ped since I can actually trust him. Told him I flushed the wound with water because we were at a hotel and didn't have hydrogen peroxide. He told me that was fine and that he doesn't recommend hydrogen peroxide because it can do more harm than good. Freaked me out too, but she was fine :) We selectively vax so she did get a tetanus just because she "needed" it anyway (for pertussis) but Dr. said she didn't need it for the wound.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, don't think you need to worry, especially since it's not a deep wound. winky.gif

treehugger.gif Homeschooling SAHM of my 3 DDs 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1 yr
#7 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Yes H202 kills both bacteria and healthy skin cells so we just use it once when the wound is fresh in the initial clean up then no more afterwards.
AmiMom likes this.

#8 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am FREAKING OUT.  My daughter just came to me and said her neck is sore on both sides.  Her words were, if I turn my head, it feels like it's breaking'.  My husband said when he saw her in bed this morning, her body was all contorted, so she probably just hurt her neck that way.  She hurt her leg 11 days ago.  Should I be taking her to Children's hospital?  Should I wait to see how today goes?  I'm feeling very scared right now!  :(

#9 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM

If she was sleeping contorted, then that's probably what the issue is. Some basic stretching exercises, make sure she gets lots of fluids, and rest if needed.

Does her leg look infected or anything? If not, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#10 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess it depends how severe it is. I you try to get her to do some stretches how strongly does she object? I think severe neck pain is always worth at least a call. Sleeping funny can make your neck hurt, but only so bad, you know?
#11 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.  She seems to be fine . . . says her necks not sore anymore, so it probably just the way she slept on it.  I am monitoring her closely though.  But like I already don't.  LOL

#12 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM

That would scare me more about meningitis than tetanus! Usually the first sugn of tetanus are jaw or abdominal spasms. Glad she is OK now. What a fright!

#13 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i have 4 unvaxed kids aged 24-16 never any problems with many many various cuts n scrapes thru out their childhood/early teens....never had an issue with tetanus, nor have i even heard of anyone in our state who has contracted it, and i've been here 15yrs now. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page