Tetanus - always worrying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS was Fully vaccInated until he was 9 mo. He received 3 dtaps.

DS now 8 and is on the spectrum and has an autoimmune disorder (pandas), no way are we vaccinating further.

I find myself worrying a lot about tetnus though. We live on farm land, which I think increases the chances as the tetanus toxoid is concentrated higher in areas where animals have lived.

Tonight DS punctured himself on a seam ripper that had been outside. (not in the dirt, just carried around and used outside a bit)

I couldn't tell if it was an all out puncture or it scraped him. He says it felt like a blood draw.

I squeezed it under the faucet and a drop of blood came out. I scrubbed with soap and water, then neosporin and a bandaid. But still, I am worried.

How do those of you that don't vaccinate keep from worrying about tetanus?
#2 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post

I reassure myself with numbers.

From the CDC:  

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6012a1.htm#tab1

An average of 29 cases was reported each year (range: 19--40). The average annual incidence was 0.10 per 1 million population (Table 1) and showed a slightly declining trend (Figure).

The median age was 49, and decent number of those who got tetanus were diabetics or intravenous drug users.  

I also found it interesting that a good chunk of those who had tetanus had some or all of tetanus vaccines.

Gently:  when people worry about things that are very unlikely to happen, I wonder if  the thing (tetanus in this case) is the issue - or just anxiety in general with a bit of fixating on an issue.  1 in 10 million is such a small number - it could happen, but then so can all sorts of other things you probably do not worry about.  

#3 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post

I just don't worry about it. Wounds generally have to be very deep, made by things with rust/feces with tetanus in it, and not able to be cleaned properly. I know basic first aid. And if it's something I can't take care of with basic first aid, I know to clean it as much as possible and then go to the doctor. 

It just doesn't make sense to me to worry about an illness, when I have made a conscious decision to not vaccinate against it. Worrying doesn't help the situation at all - and, in fact, stresses me out, as well as anyone else involved. That's not going to make anything better, or hurt less, or be less frustrating or annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Gently:  when people worry about things that are very unlikely to happen, I wonder if  the thing (tetanus in this case) is the issue - or just anxiety in general with a bit of fixating on an issue.  1 in 10 million is such a small number - it could happen, but then so can all sorts of other things you probably do not worry about.  

This. Make sure you are taking care of you, too.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#4 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:

I never enters my mind. As Kathy stated, the odds of a child contracting tetanus are miniscule. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I guess being the mother of a child with a rare disorder makes me less "the numbers are so so low, it won't happen to us" and more "the numbers are low, but it's happening to SOMEONE, it could be us"

Tetanus is the one that worries me as we live on farm land and it's such nasty disease. I think it was easier to distance myself from these unlikely diseases before seeing my child suffer. We talk a lot about mortality rates, but It's more complicated than that. My kid's disorder is far from fatal, but it's torture watching him suffer.
#6 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Is PANDAS Really Vaccine-Injury?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea if pandas is vaccine injury, but I'm not messing with his immune system by giving any more. He reacts to ALL infection, not only strep. No way am I injecting him full if any, live or otherwise.
#8 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
I guess being the mother of a child with a rare disorder makes me less "the numbers are so so low, it won't happen to us" and more "the numbers are low, but it's happening to SOMEONE, it could be us"

My sister has this concern. 

She has had a couple things go on that were "statistically unlikely" and has no confidence in statistics.  

And yet…decisions have to be made.  

If we do not go on statistics, we end up going on fear, which is worse IMHO.

Now, and this is where it gets tricky for me…I also honour mothers intuition.

if your intuition is saying to vaccinate for tetanus - then maybe it is the right thing to do.  It can be so hard to separate what is intuition from what is fear/emotion, though! 

To me, you sound much firmer on not vaccinating than you do on your concerns with tetanus.  Working on this assumption, I would  try to let it go.  I have had some success in letting unfounded worries go (or worries that are stuck on repeat in my head) with visualisation.  I imagine myself blowing the fear away.  Do whatever works.

edited to add:

This site recommends cleaning wounds with castor oil.  They also recommend Vit E. to prevent tetanus.  Warning - graphic picture on page. http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/tetanus.aspx

#9 of 15 Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't consider ASDs or PANDAS to be rare at all. ASDs are at epidemic levels, and PANDAS is a lot more common than tetanus, and probably the percentage of diagnosed cases is a lot lower than actual cases. Probably close to 100% cases of tetanus are diagnosed. I don't care what it is, if it's 29 cases per year in a population of over 310,000,000, I'm not going to worry about it. Especially if most of the cases are in a different demographic (people over 40).

#10 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for writing this.  It's like you know me personally!  ;) I know my fears regarding tetanus are fueled by anxiety with ALOT of fixation . . . there are so many scary things on our planet, my children are a constant source of anxiety for me!  Yesterday my youngest managed to whack her head on our park's monkey bars . . . I watched her like a hawk all night, since head bumps cause me great grief and anxiety.  There will always be SOMETHING for me to fixate on . . . so whenever I go back to the tetanus issue, I will try to remember to repeat "1 in 10 million" in my head . . .

#11 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM

You're welcome.smile.gif

#12 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

You're welcome.smile.gif

You're Canadian?  Me too!  :)

#13 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

You're Canadian?  Me too!  :)

Ontario - Ottawa area.

Have a great Canada Day!

#14 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Ontario - Ottawa area.

Have a great Canada Day!

Born & raised in Toronto, been in Vancouver for 16 years.  :)

Happy Canada Day to you as well! ;)

#15 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM

I do a lot of gardening with my 20 month unvaccinated child. I use a lot of farmyard manure and he's always scraping himself. I've done a bit of reading and now always have sodium peroxide, colloidal silver as well as my homeopathic first aid kit containing hypericum and ledum handy in my bag. 

This site and a lecture by the doctor that owns it helped put me at ease: http://www.jayne-donegan.co.uk/articles. The cuts and grazes article, she shares her daughter's incident with a puncture wound and how she treated her naturally.

Also the site, great mothers questioning vaccines is a good one and US based: http://www.greatmothersquestioningvaccines.com/tetanus.html

I know there is a lot of fear where illness and vaccines are concerned, but educating oneself on the disease pathogens and how to manage them helps release fear and will put you in good stead to deal with them. GMQV has a wonderfully busy facebook group too, worth joining if you use FB, lots of good, knowledgeable vaccine questioning peeps there!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page