Possible new 'Smoking Vaccine' - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18608666

Intriguing . . . and scary as hell.  Especially "If such a vaccine was developed it could also raise ethical questions about vaccinating people, possibly in childhood, before they even started smoking."

Could you imagine giving a newborn this?  Gah!  Although, I really wouldn't doubt if it does come to light one day. 

#2 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Huh.  Interesting.  I can't imagine giving it to newborns though.  If it is really developed for people, I suspect it would only be offered to people who have tried everything else to stop smoking. 

#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

Huh.  Interesting.  I can't imagine giving it to newborns though.  If it is really developed for people, I suspect it would only be offered to people who have tried everything else to stop smoking. 

I am not so sure.

The vaccine community likes to give vaccines to newborns - the compliancy rate of parents bringing in newborns and babies is high.  Adults are often lax on immunizing themselves.

The other possibility is it will be offered to older children/young teens.  They will want to get them before they start smoking - kind of like Gardasil for HPV

#4 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I can see the ads now..it will be dubbed the lung cancer vaccine. 

#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I suppose there could be some ethical debate about giving it to a kid if a parent requested it in order to ensure that their kid never smoked - would it be allowed?  But everything about this vaccine says that it is being made to help smokers quit, not to prevent them from starting.   I seriously doubt that it would ever even get approval for testing in children, much less ever be used in them.  

My grandparents struggled with quitting from before I was born, but they were still smoking decades later even when my grandmother was on oxygen 24 hours a day and suffering from terrible emphysema. She died of a stroke about  a year before my daughter, her first great-grandchild, was born.  I have no doubt that if she'd managed to quit even a few years before, she would have gotten to meet her.  She loved babies so much.  We lost my grandfather to lung cancer just a couple years later. 

I agree that it would be scary if given to children as a preventative - a vaccine to control behavior is quite a different beast than one to prevent a disease.  But what about the target for this vaccine, people like my grandparents?  Leaving the highly unlikley theory of giving it to children out of things, do you think the attempts to develop this vaccine are worthwhile?  

#6 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
 Leaving the highly unlikley theory of giving it to children out of things, do you think the attempts to develop this vaccine are worthwhile?  

Assuming it is not given to children, I have no issues with it.

Adults can do what they want to their bodies and maybe it will be helpful.

#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Yeah to what Kathy said...

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yes, it'd be scary to give to babies and kids!  That's for sure.  Adults, I'm with Kathy.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page