Australian press attack against non vaxxing parents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Rupert Murdoch's Press Bullies Australian Parents - While Human Rights Vanish Under Reactionary Australian Government Vaccine Policies

Quote:

But now concerned Australian parents who want to do the best for their children’s health and protect them from hazardous products from fraudster drug companies and who do obtain an exemption are being targeted by the Murdoch’s media as if they are the criminals and fraudsters. An example is a just published news story in Murdoch’s group owned Australian Telegraph newspaper:

Parents who dodge vaccinating their kids are pocketing thousands of dollars” Renee Viellaris The Daily Telegraph July 15, 2012 12:00AM

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am confused.  

Do parents in Australia have to pay out of pocket for vaccines?

If not - why are they getting a stipend while non-vaxxing parents are not?

#3 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Parents have to have their children utd with vaccines in order to get child tax benefits. You can get a conscientious objection, but it must be signed by a doctor. There was a post about this, I think on this forum, a while back.

Herald Sun: Inject children or lose money (interestingly this article makes no mention of the waiver)

Quote:

THE Federal Government will withhold more than $2100 in tax benefits for families who refuse to vaccinate their children.

The move is a drive by the Gillard Government to boost vaccination rates, with one in 10 Australian children not immunised.

It comes as part of a major shake-up of the national immunisation program which includes the introduction of more vaccines.

Immunisation Related Payments for Parents

Quote:

To receive benefits without your child being fully immunised your healthcare provider needs to certify that:

• your child has a medical reason not to have a particular vaccination; or
  • your child has had a disease and has a natural immunity; or
  • a particular vaccine is unavailable.

If so, you will need to complete the Immunisation exemption: Medical contraindication form available on the Medicare Australia website with the assistance of your healthcare provider. This information will then be recorded with the ACIR.

You can also make a formal conscientious objection if you have a personal, philosophical, religious or medical belief that your child should not be immunised. You will need to complete the Immunisation exemption: Conscientious objection form available on the Medicare Australia website with the assistance of your healthcare provider. This information will then be recorded with the ACIR.

ETA: sorry I have no idea why the formatting is so whacky. 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM

so….it is not some way of paying for vaccines - but a reward or financial incentive to vaccinate irked.gif

#5 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

so….it is not some way of paying for vaccines - but a reward or financial incentive to vaccinate irked.gif

It's a penalty for not vaxxing.

#6 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm an Australian parent and I'm not "pocketing thousands". I wish I was. Ha!

The payment is one of a number of financial aid payments given to parents. It was linked to vaccination to encourage it but as anyone could get a conscientious objector form filled out it is hardly a true "payment for vaccination". I did the CO form recently and it was no big deal.

This is a media beat-up and little more. Of course the health minister is going to say all children should be vaccinated. That's current government policy. It's neither news nor a big secret.

The Daily Telegraph is a tabloid paper with a conservative bent. I for one am not surprised to see them publishing this sort of article. It's exactly the kind of thing their readers love to be outraged about.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am sure a CO is relatively easy to come by. However, it wasn't even mentioned in the Telegraph piece. Tabloid or not, it is still a hit piece against non vaxing parents and it does take it toll. 

#8 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

The payment is one of a number of financial aid payments given to parents. It was linked to vaccination to encourage it but as anyone could get a conscientious objector form filled out it is hardly a true "payment for vaccination". I did the CO form recently and it was no big deal.

I am glad the CO form is no big deal.

Still...linking vaccination to money is not Ok in my book. 

Is there something I am missing?

#9 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity - any analogous incentive for breastfeeding, birth, or anything else related to parenting?

Pro rights (vaxes).
#10 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

Just out of curiosity - any analogous incentive for breastfeeding, birth, or anything else related to parenting?

There is something called the Baby Bonus which all parents get when they gI've birth to or adopt a child. It is about $5000 and is to help with the initial expenses associated with having a baby.

There are a few different daycare-related rebates and payments for those who use child care and there are payments for stay at home parents. These are both means tested but we are considered high income and I got about $4000 in my LOs first year.

Nothing related to breast feeding or the way in which you give birth.

#11 of 12 Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I am glad the CO form is no big deal.

Still...linking vaccination to money is not Ok in my book. 

Is there something I am missing?

No I don't think you're missing anything. I agree it's not a good thing to have a payment linked to vaccination. I just wanted to clarify that it's not withheld from parents who chose not to vaccinate.

#12 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm in Australia too (resident for almost three years now).

There is a definite slant to the media to make it sound like parents who get CO forms are somehow abusing the system by collecting money for "vaccinating" parents when in fact we are just jumping through the hoops the government has set for us to collect our family tax benefit. It's a payment that has nothing to do with immunisation (unlike the former immunisation allowance or bonus or whatever it was called). This is a family tax benefit, for families who meet the residence and income requirements, and the government has stipulated that we must vaccinate our children (or get the CO) in order to receive it.

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. I notice no one has tied it to smoking status or the like. Can you imagine...the government says you need to be a non-smoker to collect your tax benefit. But because it's vaccines, it's okay.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page