Getting chicken pox from Shingles.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my BIL has been staying with us, and last night he showed me his 'mosquito bites' that have been bugging him for at least two weeks . . . as soon as my husband & I saw his 'bites' we both said 'those aren't bites, that's shingles!'  He has the telltale rash starting on one side of his chest, it goes around under his arm and to his spine.  He said it was painful at times, and definately itchy.  He was putting homeopathic bug bite stuff on it.  LOL  So my question is, does anyone know how long the incubation period is from shingles to get chicken pox?  Both my kids, 8 & 5 are completely vaccine free and never had CP yet.  I'm assuming (and hoping!) that they'll get it and be done with it!

#2 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The incubation period would be the same as exposure to chickenpox, which is 9 to 21 days, average 14 days.

They would have to come into contact with the shingles blister fluid to have a possibility of getting chickenpox.

#3 of 14 Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Not sure, but my DD got CP from my DH's shingles. She then passed it on to my other child. My poor DH had a terrible experience, but I was very happy he got it :D

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#4 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You are happy he got shingles?  You do know he can get it again, right?  My dh's shingles were very painful, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

Not sure, but my DD got CP from my DH's shingles. She then passed it on to my other child. My poor DH had a terrible experience, but I was very happy he got it :D

#5 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Welp, my dd8 woke up with chicken pox this morning! Her face is covered with the 1st pimply rash . . . .

#6 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen13 View Post

Welp, my dd8 woke up with chicken pox this morning! Her face is covered with the 1st pimply rash . . . .

goodvibes.giffor a mild yet immunity giving case!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll know tomorrow when/if the spots change. I just examined her, the red spots are all over her face & neck, but nowhere else. I thought she'd have the spots on her trunk/back as well right away?
#8 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids' chickenpox started on their backs. Your daughter may or may not have chickenpox. We had a few false alarms when we first started trying.

#9 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Are they just red spots or are they actually fluid filled blisters?

Quote:

I guess I'll know tomorrow when/if the spots change. I just examined her, the red spots are all over her face & neck, but nowhere else. I thought she'd have the spots on her trunk/back as well right away?
#10 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

No fluid filled blisters yet, just more red raised bumps all over her face, starting to travel down her back/chest. Not entirely sure this is CP I'm dealing with!
#11 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm perplexed. Doesn't seem to be CP...no blisters...I guess I'll take her into the Dr. tomorrow and have them look at her. *shrugs*
#12 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's definately NOT chicken pox.  Dr. thinks it's Fifth's Disease, which may make sense seeing as she has zero fever or other symptoms.  Hopefully the rash doesn't last long, it's pretty harsh on her face.  My poor monkey.  Anyone have tips for dealing with Fifth's? 

#13 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

3 of my kids had it at ages 15mos, 3, and 9....just have to let it ride itself out...mine got it in the summertime, and were still playing in the pool.  my ebf newborn didn't show any symptoms..

Quote:

Well, it's definately NOT chicken pox.  Dr. thinks it's Fifth's Disease, which may make sense seeing as she has zero fever or other symptoms.  Hopefully the rash doesn't last long, it's pretty harsh on her face.  My poor monkey.  Anyone have tips for dealing with Fifth's? 

#14 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think I just answered my own question.  Found this on Dr. Sears: Fifth disease (or Slapped Cheek disease) – this is a very common virus. It starts out causing bright red cheeks (it looks like your child has been slapped), and sometimes a fever. Then a generic lacy or pimply rash spreads from the trunk to the extremities. There may also be a runny nose and cough. If this sounds like what your child has, click on it for a detailed discussion. 

Well, it's been 14 days since I posted this thread, and I just noticed two 'whiteheads' on my 5 y/o's stomach, and what looks like a red streak.  Could this be CP?  She didn't get the 5th's disease from my eldest (knock on wood) . . . . what a month this has been so far!!!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page