Harassment via "you need to vaccinate" jumkmail - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

So today I recieved a lovely postcard in the mail, printed by Pfizer, although it seems courtesy of my pediatrician, but in a nutshell it reads:

"Dear parent/guardian:

Records show that your child may have missed a vaccine shot.

Please contact your child's doctor or health clinic to find out if you need to schedule an appointment.

This postcard is being sent by your child's health plan, health clinic, or health department."

I thought, gee, the timing couldn't be more perfect as I had scheduled DD's 9mo appt in 2wks and she's "due" for her 4mo round that I never had done, and don't plan to, especially after some not so pleasant side effects from the 1st two rounds.  But wow, sending me random postcards...whatever happened to HIPPA?  I mean really, how pushy can you get?! Anyone else getting stuff like this in the mail?  Also any suggested responses for my pedi when we go in there refusing vaxxes in 2 weeks would be appreciated.  She's aware of the reactions and yet still wants me to continue....and I was told she was super vax friendly! Ugh.

#2 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My first thought was, who cares, treat it like any other piece of junk mail. But you are right, this is a big privacy issue, being on a postcard for anyone in the household to read.

#3 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

My first thought was, who cares, treat it like any other piece of junk mail. But you are right, this is a big privacy issue, being on a postcard for anyone in the household to read.

HIPPA was the first thing that came to my mind too.  I would look into reporting that as a violation.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

do you use insurance? some insurance companies and esp state ins plans have an 'immunization tracking system' and if pfizer is the supplier of vaccines at the place where you take your child, chances are she's on their list of kids in their system.  .........(this is just a thought/idea i had come to mind).....i do know that insurance companies do have the tracking system and will mail out postcard reminders and/or phone calls...i used to get them til i called the ins co and opted out of the tracking system.  

#5 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Emmy526, we do have insurance through my husband, he works for the city (fire department), and our pedi is part of a pretty large doctor network - prohealth physicians - so maybe that's it.  How do you request to opt out, just call and say hey stop tracking my kid? I definitely will call the Ins and check about that.  There was a hospital form that I didn't fill out BECAUSE it was to allow the state to track her vax records and I said no to that.  I get plenty of junk mail that I don't think twice about, but that kind of thing was a bit more personal.

#6 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Also, did find a way I can report a HIPPA violation through an online form I can send in through the Dept of Health and Human Services. Their site clearly states that "your health information cannot be used or shared without your written permission for marketing or advertising purposes".  I'd call a pharmaceutical funded  'communication' a major marketing campaign!

Bokonon likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page