Vax laws/exemptions in Minnesota... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! We currently live in Ohio and we've been lucky that we have vax exemption options that work really well.  Due to some family ugliness that reared it's ugly head after my dad passed away very suddenly, we may be loosing the farm we live on here.  We're looking into moving north.  Wisconsin is our first choice and I know they offer three vax exemptions which is great.  Now, we've also been looking into homes in southeastern Minnesota.  I was just wondering if there were and other Minnesota moms here who could fill me in on what Minnesota's stance is on vaccines.  Or, is there a good website out there that highlights the vax laws/rules in the different states?  I appreciate any help/advice!!!

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#2 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Minnesota
Submit a notarized statement that all or some immunizations are against your "conscientiously held beliefs." (Do not need to be religious beliefs).
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/i...exemption.html
Text of statute:
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...es/?id=121A.15

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much!!

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM

We stopped vaxing our 6 YO when she was 1 1/2, and she goes to public school.  We just submitted the notarized vax record form stating our conscientious objection to the school nurse and have not had any problems so far.  

I saw that you are planning to homeschool in a different post.  If you move to southeast MN, my town of Northfield might interest you. There are both religious and secular homeschoolers in the area, enough of a crunchy crowd (college town), organic farms and CSAs, and joyfilledmama (she responded to your MN homeschooling post) lives just a few miles away as well.  Best of luck!

Oh, and I am sorry about the family ugliness surrounding a sudden death and land issues.  My family went through something similar a year or two ago, and while things have calmed down some, they've never been the same since.

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snguyen View Post

We stopped vaxing our 6 YO when she was 1 1/2, and she goes to public school.  We just submitted the notarized vax record form stating our conscientious objection to the school nurse and have not had any problems so far.  

I saw that you are planning to homeschool in a different post.  If you move to southeast MN, my town of Northfield might interest you. There are both religious and secular homeschoolers in the area, enough of a crunchy crowd (college town), organic farms and CSAs, and joyfilledmama (she responded to your MN homeschooling post) lives just a few miles away as well.  Best of luck!

Oh, and I am sorry about the family ugliness surrounding a sudden death and land issues.  My family went through something similar a year or two ago, and while things have calmed down some, they've never been the same since.

Thank you so much for the reply.  It's funny because I've been keeping my eye on the SE region of MN, as well as around the Twin Cities.  My husband needs to be able to be relatively close to some kind of biggish hospital for work and well, these two areas seem to fit the bill!thumb.gif  The homeschooling has been going well so far but I have to admit it would be really nice to find a group of others who are doing the same thing.  Here where we're at in Ohio there are SOME but a lot of them are highly religious.  Even though we are using Sonlight and it does have Christian ideals, we're trying to find a more secular group.  Not easy it seems!!  We are quite the crunchy family so what you've described sounds right up our alley.  It's just so frustrating that nothing seems to be close to being figured out.  We have a new baby due any day and it's certainly no secret to the family that we need more space ASAP.  Not to mention all the time and effort we've been putting into this place when it comes to the farm and keeping this place running.  We just can't move forward anymore until we know what we're doing......being forced out or staying. It's all so frustrating.  This farm is where I've grown up and spent my entire life...it means a lot more to me than just money.  I'm just trying to remain hopeful that it can get resolved soon in our favor.  But if it doesn't, we're heading north!  Thanks again!!

#6 of 7 Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHippie View Post

Thank you so much for the reply.  It's funny because I've been keeping my eye on the SE region of MN, as well as around the Twin Cities.  My husband needs to be able to be relatively close to some kind of biggish hospital for work and well, these two areas seem to fit the bill!   

Yep, if you find Northfield on the map, we are about an hour's drive or less from both the Twin Cities and Rochester (Mayo), so there are your biggish hospitals!

Our local hospital / clinic system is growing rapidly as well, with a lot of ties to Mayo.  What exactly does your husband do?

#7 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHippie View Post
Even though we are using Sonlight and it does have Christian ideals, we're trying to find a more secular group.  Not easy it seems!!  .......
 We have a new baby due any day and it's certainly no secret to the family that we need more space ASAP.  

The funny thing is, the "secular" homeschoolers that I know personally are both from my church, one of them is the pastor's wife! praying.gif  We belong to the United Church of Christ, which is a fairly liberal denomination.  

Joyfilledmama is also expecting her baby any second now and I know she plans to homeschool.  Just know that you "know" some people around here if you decide to move up.  Best wishes to you and the new little one!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page