Those who are anti-vax, do you travel internationally? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm leaning toward being anti-vax, but what about international travel? We have family in Eastern Europe and like to travel there once a year. What are your thoughts on possible higher risk of exposure to diseases not common in US? Anyone have a similar situation?

#2 of 16 Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM

We just had our first baby, now a few months old, and have not done any vaccinations yet, and are leaning towards never doing any. My husband just moved to the US from Eastern Europe and we will be traveling back and forth eventually with the baby. I have lived there and traveled back and forth often myself and feel that, in our case, I do not perceive any higher risk of exposure to disease in the places we would be in Europe than here at home in the US. 

#3 of 16 Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

What diseases that have vaccines are you actually concerned about?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 AM

I live in Eastern Europe, if you could tell me what country you intend to visit, I might be able to let you know if you need to worry but there hasn't been any epidemy. 

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
#5 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anca View Post

I live in Eastern Europe, if you could tell me what country you intend to visit, I might be able to let you know if you need to worry but there hasn't been any epidemy. 

We'll be going to Bulgaria. Thanks for your reply!

#6 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

What diseases that have vaccines are you actually concerned about?

None in particular. Just wondering if I should be concerned about any since we'll be traveling across the world.

#7 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Some of my friends are often travelling to Bulgaria, it's very close to Romania. They went with the children to the seaside but never took extra precaution measures about vaccines. 

Maybe this can help: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/europe/bulgaria.shtml

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
#8 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM

We have been to Mexico < Cancun> and Dominican Republic w/ a partially vax'd 8 yr old and an unvaxed 3 yr old.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM

Went to Romania with a partially vaxed almost 2 year old (was mainstream when he was born) and came back with a 1 month old and 2 year old. I would totally visit Eastern Europe without vaccines. I would never ever give my kids vaccines no matter where we traveled to or lived because I consider them poison.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I live in Uganda and have traveled to Kenya and Zambia.  The WHO has a website with disease rates in all different countries.  I keep up with disease outbreaks in the places I am going.  But at this point I haven't felt that the risk of a disease is worth the risk of the vaxes.  Measles or chicken pox is no more dangerous in Uganda than it is in the US.  I might vaccinate if there was a yellowfever or polio outbreak in my city, but at this point there hasn't been. 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#11 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM

We don't vax at all, and have traveled with our kids to South Africa, Namibia, and Mexico. We take immune boosters: high dose vitamin C and low dose naltrexone. We haven't traveled internationally in a long while, but may do so next year, and now with four unvaxed children.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#12 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM

I have traveled to Panama, Barbados, Mexico and Europe with my unvaxed kids.  I've never had a concern about them being at a higher risk to contract anything.  I'm originally from the UK and lots of Euro kids are not vaxed or delay vaxed especially when it comes to MMR and DPT.  I wouldn't worry, especially if you are breastfeeding:)

#13 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Very interesting post--we are going to be moving overseas for a year with our 1 1/2 year old.  Probably based in Australia, but considering staying in or traveling through Thailand and possibly other SE Asian countries.  We have not vaxed at all and if we stay in Australia, I don't think I'd have any reason to.  I am DEFINITELY concerned about travel through Asia, however.  Makes me really nervous, to the point where I don't want to take him at this young age.  (And I've traveled a lot and been vaxed myself, when I travel to developing countries).

#14 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Yes: Extensively around the caribbean, central and south america (also the US, Mexico and Canada) with them.  We now live in Costa Rica after living in the USA (New York City) our entire lives.  I have 3 children now: 7 yo boy, 4 yo boy and 12 week old girl, born here.  None have had any vaccine or blood test ever.  In NY my boys got chicken pox, but here, we got rubella (and I just had Dengue- holy cow... avoid if you can!).  I believe I am a carrier though for several reasons.  We were careful and sequestered ourselves.  I was pregnant, but far enough along that it was of no concern.  Everyone dealt with our various "VPDs" just fine... I am sad that someday my children will get dengue though.  They have a new vaccine just out, but no-vax is no-vax... we have shamans to help us as well (we are pretty much off the map in the country).

#15 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryLovingMama View Post

Very interesting post--we are going to be moving overseas for a year with our 1 1/2 year old.  Probably based in Australia, but considering staying in or traveling through Thailand and possibly other SE Asian countries.  We have not vaxed at all and if we stay in Australia, I don't think I'd have any reason to.  I am DEFINITELY concerned about travel through Asia, however.  Makes me really nervous, to the point where I don't want to take him at this young age.  (And I've traveled a lot and been vaxed myself, when I travel to developing countries).

We moved from Canada to Australia and you're right that for the most part, it's pretty low risk here (although pertussis rates are high despite about 95% uptake, just an FYI). My kids are not vaccinated yet (my DD will get the dT next month), but we'd have to consider what vaccines she'd need if she wanted to go on the school trip to Asia that the many of the kids in secondary school do every year. For now, we aren't concerned about it.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#16 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM

We took our unvaxed DD to Poland & Germany when she was 8 months old, and we've brought our kids to Mexico twice; when they were 10 months & 2 and last year when they were 3 & 5.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page