Need advice in NY - Exemptions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just made a physical/well visit appointment for my 11 yo son (he just finished 4th grade and is in a special ed 12-1-4, 3rd - 5th grade classroom), and was told he is required by state to receive the Tdap booster. We did vaccinate him when he was younger (I think he had the orignal Tdap, but have to check his records), and then stopped with ones as he got older. I am much more educated than I was 11 years ago. We do not/will not give him this booster.

Is there anyone out there who has received an exemption for his booster in NY? Can anyone recommend a lawyer should we need to seek legal advice?

Thanks so much!

momremb

Medical or religious exemptions from this requirement:
There are two exemptions from this requirement: (1) a medical exemption consisting of a written statement from a physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York stating that there is a valid medical contraindication to the student receiving the booster vaccine, or (2) a statement of religious exemption written by the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the student stating that they hold genuine and sincere religious beliefs which prohibit the immunization of their child. A religious exemption must be approved by the superintendent, principal, administrator, or person in charge of the school, and the principal may require additional documents to support the application. Secular principles, including philosophical exemptions, are not allowed. The New York State Education Department (SED) has provided guidance for schools regarding religious exemptions. Information can be found at the SED Web site.

#2 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

If you don't get any feedback here you might try posting to the New York forum under Tribal Areas. 

#3 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You would have to file a religious exemption (this means no more vaccines - ever for school). I know NY can be tricky. Id contact Gary Krasner for some advice:

Gary Krasner, Director
Coalition For Informed Choice
188-34 87th Drive, suite 4B
Holliswood, NY 11423
718-479-2939
CFIC@nyct.net

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just wondering how this worked out for you.  My son is soon to be 11.  We live in NY and he did get all his vax.  However, like you, I have since learned better.  He will be entering a new school this sept and would like to have a religious exemption letter ready to hand in.   

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page