What is your least favourite vaccine - and why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)

What is your least favourite vaccine - and why?

lurk.gif

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LOL, this is an interesting question.  I guess my least favorite would be DTaP because that's what injured my son, but I can think of several that I think are ridiculous and ineffective.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Can I say all of them?? Lol. I would have to say my least favorite is the flu shot...flu shot season is in full effect at the pharmacy where I work and we are expected to invite each guest to receive their flu shot... eyesroll.gif
#4 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Smallpox for the reasons I discussed elsewhere but in summary a diagnoses of eczema in the household is a cdc contraindication.

On the schedule, dtap because of the risk of seizures. My husband had seizures as a child that we believe were caused by the dpt and while the risk is considerably less now it is still a risk. Also based on some numbers I've read it still seems to be the most deadly vax and isn't all that effective.

#5 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am having trouble narrowing down.

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

I am not fond of MMR and DTaP being only available together.  There are moms who post on here regularly who would like tetanus or pertussis - but do not want the other vaxxes that go along with it. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 03:28 PM

This is a tough one- I want to say all of them, too. I'm thinking of CP because of the other thread... That was the vaccine that made me first question the credibility of all vaxxes. CP went from being a relatively benign nuisance (and a rite of passage, almost) with a funny name to a deadly menace that all children need to be sheltered from, all in the span of one generation. This shift in the medical industry's message really screamed BS to me.

I hate hep b for newborns, for the same reason, Kathy... There's no excuse for it to be given universally except for naked opportunism and greed.

Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for its potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#7 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

The flu vaccine for pregnant women makes me loopy.  Extra bonus points if it has thimerosal in it.  Everyone knows drugs should be avoided in pregnancy if possible - so lets throw that knowledge out the window and convince women that, no, really, they should be vaccinated during pregnancy….

Hep B. newborn shot.  Good grief.  Newborns whose mothers do not have Hep. B are not at risk for Hep. B.  The Hep. B vaccine does carry risk for newborns (including a 3 fold increase in autism for boys.  Will cite if asked)

I am not fond of MMR and DTaP being only available together.  There are moms who post on here regularly who would like tetanus or pertussis - but do not want the other vaxxes that go along with it. 

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for it's potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.

I was one of the few that was vaccinated for Guardasil back when it just came out. I was the guinea pig. My mom pushed me to get it so I did. I remember how sick I was hours after the vaccine and I was feeling like the world was spinning. I couldn't even move for an hour. My mom had to help me walk to the car from the clinic.

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#8 of 20 Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C is for Cookie View Post

I was one of the few that was vaccinated for Guardasil back when it just came out. I was the guinea pig. My mom pushed me to get it so I did. I remember how sick I was hours after the vaccine and I was feeling like the world was spinning. I couldn't even move for an hour. My mom had to help me walk to the car from the clinic.

That sounds horrible. DD1 didn't complain of any particular side effects at the time, but I worry about the individual and cumulative issues all these drugs may have caused. She's asthmatic, has horrible food allergies, skin problems, and chronic low energy, in addition to attention problems. Detox and a careful diet have helped tremendously over the past few years, but I hate that I didn't do my research when she was younger... I will never be sure her issues are vax related, but I suspect they may be, and if I'd known the risks and that I had a choice, who knows where we'd be?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#9 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

LOL, this is an interesting question.  I guess my least favorite would be DTaP because that's what injured my son, but I can think of several that I think are ridiculous and ineffective.

Similar situation with my daughter, athough her reaction wasn't near as bad as it could have been, it was however the driving force for me deciding I would no longer vax.

Quote:

I've never had a flu vax, and I'm pretty sure I've only had the flu maybe 2x in almost 30 yrs, so that's not a bad track record IMO!  I went ballistic when it was offered multiple times during my pregnancy - they said I was "special" becuase they save them for the elderly and preggos - I told them to give mine to someone else who came looking for one.  I do wish I had read more about the Hep B earlier on.  I thought I was doing good by postponing it and not doing it in the hospital but waiting til her first pedi appt. but never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

This is a tough one- I want to say all of them, too. I'm thinking of CP because of the other thread... That was the vaccine that made me first question the credibility of all vaxxes. CP went from being a relatively benign nuisance (and a rite of passage, almost) with a funny name to a deadly menace that all children need to be sheltered from, all in the span of one generation. This shift in the medical industry's message really screamed BS to me.
I hate hep b for newborns, for the same reason, Kathy... There's no excuse for it to be given universally except for naked opportunism and greed.
Guardasil... I hate this one for how aggressively it was marketed, for how awful the side effects have been, for its potential threat to the fertility of recipients, and I regret so deeply that I allowed my eldest to receive the first 2 shots n that series.

I had a blast with chickenpox.  I honestly can't remember being miserable, my sister and I both had them at the same time so we got to take oatmeal baths which we thought was super fun.  We even went to the public pool bc it was the middle of summer and we didn't have a/c at our house so our mother made us wear t-shirts over our swimsuits so we didn't scare people with our spots lol!

And Guardasil was the first vax that I turned down for myself.  It was offered to me when I was maybe 16...18? Somewhere in there and first started going to the gyno, and I remember her asking me to wait in the room once I refused so she could talk to my mother (who was in the waiting room) and try to get her to talk me into it.  My first thought was "how absurd is it to think a vaccine would stop cancer".  At the time I was taking Anat & Phys classes in school and I had a good baseline knowledge of things and it seemed strange to me so that was my reason for declining.  Little did I know then how much interest I would take up later on in life about vaxing!

#10 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:

It is also now also recommended that pregnant women receive the Tdap if they are after 20 weeks. The prior recommmendation was to avoid the pertussis component during pregnancy, now it is magically ok I guess?
Bokonon likes this.
#11 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I had a blast with chickenpox.  I honestly can't remember being miserable, my sister and I both had them at the same time so we got to take oatmeal baths which we thought was super fun.  We even went to the public pool bc it was the middle of summer and we didn't have a/c at our house so our mother made us wear t-shirts over our swimsuits so we didn't scare people with our spots lol!

I don't remember being miserable with CP either.  I was the first person in my school to get it that year (we never figured out how) and I passed it on to everyone in my class and my brother, who passed it on to everyone in his class.  Not a complication to be had in the whole school.

But since I was home sick for a week, my 1st grade class made me cards and sent them home.  No one else got that because everyone had the pox after that!  So it was kind of a special memory, LOL.  I just remember that my grandfather couldn't visit because he had never had CP.  He was in his 60s at the time, and never got CP before he died of cancer at 76.  So in my family, it was just not a big deal and definitely something to get over with as a kid.

DH says that he had it once super mild and then again more moderately, both as a kid.  He had a lot of illnesses as a child, but he was also obese and his parents fed him horribly.  He went to visit with our son recently and my in-laws didn't have anything healthy in the house - not even a single piece of fruit.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#12 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM

I would say chicken pox because it just seems so...silly. Especially to give to a very young child. Maybe if they recommended it to pre-teen/teens who had never acquired immunity naturally, but it's just bizarre to me to vaccinate for it when they are still very young and have a good chance of getting chicken pox (and therefore, immunity) on their own.

The flu shot is a very close second, maybe even a tie.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM

While I have always hated the flu shot, I think the CP vaccine is worse. I don't know if we've seen a vaccine do so much harm (since the oral polio that is) as the CP vax does. Its incomprehensible how so many people don't understand the ramifications of removing wild CP from the US.

As someone who had CP 4x (the vaccine itself brought on the first mild case) before I finally had immunity I can only imagine I will have shingles as I get older from lack of exposure. I worry about finding it in four or five years when I feel my DD is old enough to have CP without scratching, and I worry I will get singles then (before I'm 30!) because CP is barely circulating.

It's also the first vaccine that was marketed to keep parents from missing work to tend to their sick children. Instead of dealing with lack of sick leave, healthcare, and the shift to require both parents to work abundant in this country, we now "have" to inject our children with VERY questionable vaccines instead. soapbox.gif

Bokonon and kathymuggle like this.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#14 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Would you mind sharing the link for this?  Very interesting to know!  Thanks in advance smile.gif

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#15 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

I really think they are all as bad as each other. But if you pinned me down to one, I would have to say Gardasil, I am shocked at the number of teens and young women who have lost their health and even lives to this particular vaccine since its approval in 2006.

http://sanevax.org/my-personal-gardasil-journey/

HPV VACCINE VAERS REPORTS AS OF JULY 2012

Description     Total
Disabled     891  
Deaths     119  
Did Not Recover     5,413  
Abnormal Pap Smear     493  
Cervical Dysplasia     197  
Cervical Cancer     57  
Life Threatening     509  
Emergency Room     9,801  
Hospitalized     2,749  
Extended Hospital Stay     220  
Serious     3,683  
Adverse Events     26,564

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#16 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned

My least favorite "vaccine", besides all the rest, is the "H5N1 Vaccine" This "vaccine" is not currently available but it is coming soon. For a year or two it like all other "vaccines" will be fear induced but as the number of H5N1 virus deaths climb and the chants of "vaccinate them all by FORCE if necessary" become louder and louder a great debate will begin.

Those who do not want this "vaccine" will point out that those who have refused "vaccination" are mostly still alive while MANY of the "vaccinated" have gotten H5N1.

The pro "vaccine" crowd will chant "vaccinate them ALL"

The strange thing about H5N1 is that it does not spread human to human; despite all the propaganda stating it does.

H5N1 has been historically been attempted to be delivered by needle from a syringe containing the live H5N1.

IMO the H5N1 bio-weapon makes ANY NEEDLE potentially deadly.

#17 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

http://www.onemoregirlfilm.com/index.html looks interesting. The politics behind this one makes me Cuss.gif, last I checked it was mandatory for immigrating women to get into US. 

#18 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilico View Post

Would you mind sharing the link for this?  Very interesting to know!  Thanks in advance smile.gif

Sure!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21058170

Googling the terms "newborns, autism males and Hep B"  will yield a wealth of results.

While I do not vax for Hep B. period, there is some evidence that waiting until the baby is 2 months plus will increase effectiveness:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2910296/

"Delaying the first dose of the HB vaccine until 2 months after birth produces a higher immune response and can provide longer term protection."

#19 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

My least favorite "vaccine", besides all the rest, is the "H5N1 Vaccine" This "vaccine" is not currently available but it is coming soon. For a year or two it like all other "vaccines" will be fear induced but as the number of H5N1 virus deaths climb and the chants of "vaccinate them all by FORCE if necessary" become louder and louder a great debate will begin.

Links, please, on this upcoming vaccine.  Non-inflammatroy ones if possible.  

#20 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

Links, please, on this upcoming vaccine.  Non-inflammatroy ones if possible.  

Here is a good overview of the fake pandemics.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/09/pandemic-bird-flu-evolution.aspx?e_cid=20120709_DNL_artNew_1

Jane Burgermeister - pandemic update 25 June 2012  To the uninitiated this may seem quite inflammatory but should you come up to speed on H5N1 it will no longer seem so IMO. H5N1 is bird flu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcG_WcsezY&feature=player_embedded

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page