what is the worst thing a doctor has said to you, re: not vaccinating? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrrl View Post

I had a ped tell me he'd been to 3rd world countries and he had seen all these illnesses and they are just horrible and I should really consider vaccinating so my child doesn't have to go through that. --- Right. Because I live in a 3rd world country. Without access to clean water. And good medical care. Ok.

I had another ped tell me that my child was having seizures because I DID NOT vaccinate him. *blink blink*

You say that as if it makes no sense at all!  lol

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#32 of 44 Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM

I have a little bit of a different story.

When I was pregnant with my first baby ten years ago, I came across some conflicting information about vaccines on the internet.  I felt confused.  I had never even heard of the debate before, but now I was reading things that made me worry that vaccines might be unsafe. I entertained the idea of not vaccinating, and it made me uneasy.  I was too indoctrinated to even consider it.  I thought that maybe I would delay/select, but I had no idea how to even begin researching, and it made me feel extremely overwhelmed.  Science scared me and I felt I wasn't smart enough to understand the information even if I tried.

So late in my pregnancy, I decided to stop tormenting myself over it, and to just do whatever the pediatrician said.  It was such a relief.  I figured that this was a person I was supposed to be able to trust with my child's health, so why not take her advice when it came to vaccinating?  Ahhh, blissful Ignorance.  I basked in it for a while, giving myself a break from considering the terrifying idea that so many doctors could be wrong about vaccines (after all - what else might they be wrong about?)

For weeks and weeks I focused on learning about breastfeeding and natural birth.  I devoured Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  I attended a La Leche meeting.  I didn't let the word "vaccine" cross my mind.

Then my baby was born.  At the hospital, I cringed at the idea of her getting any injections, but they did it in the nursery where I couldn't see it and didn't have to deal with the emotions.

Our pediatrician walked in on the day we were being released.  She said, "I'm so glad you decided to vaccinate."

I was a little taken aback.  I didn't expect to have the pediatrician expect me to make a decision in the matter.  I didn't make a decision as far as I was concerned...I just signed whatever forms the nurses told me I should sign.

The pediatrician continued: "Some parents these days are choosing not to vaccinate.  A very bad idea, in my opinion."

Even though she made it clear that she did not support non-vaccination, she legitimized the choice in my eyes.  She brought it from a silly paranoid internet fear to a real-life concern that real-life parents were dealing with.

The next few weeks, I started reading what I could on the issue.  The information still overwhelmed me.  I ended up taking Emma for the first 2 sets of infant shots, delayed by a month because of general uneasiness with the whole thing.  After the 2nd set of shots, Emma's temperament changed and she started having brief seizure episodes, among other symptoms.  Her health went downhill...she was sick most of the time for several months after the shots. By the time it was time for another set of shots, I was set on *at least* delaying further shots until I understood more about the whole thing.  I decided that my child would not get a single vaccine unless I thoroughly researched and investigated the reasons why I thought that particular vaccine was a good idea.

Thanks you, Dr. Maiher, for giving me that very important heads up.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#33 of 44 Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM

7yo just in the ER for croup - never had it before, and I thought he was too old for it, so it was pretty scary.  The doc expected it was viral... until she learned that we didn't vax.  "So, he's NEVER had ANYTHING?"  No.  Then, all of a sudden it could have been haemophelius (sp?) influenza... although he didn't have any symptoms.  Everyone who had been in the room now came back with masks (um, even if it WAS, you've already been exposed).  It was actually kinda funny.  Thankfully he didn't think anything of it.

#34 of 44 Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM

I had my first experience today actually, at our daughters 4 month checkup. We decided not to vaccinate after she had a seizure after her 2 month vax. I presented the nurse with the vaccination exemption and she rolled her eyes at me, told me I was making a VERY poor choice for my daughter and I am doing a disservice to everyone elses kids and they wont see her again. She asked me to pick up our daughter and take her to the scale to be weighted, she normally takes her to the scale but she acted like she didnt even want to touch her! After that, she didn’t speak another word to me. I kept my composure and said that she was entitled to her opinion just like I am, she walked out of the exam room and slammed the door! WOW!!
We are now looking for a new Dr!
#35 of 44 Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Emily and Blessed, wonder what they were all worried about catching? Surely they were up-to-date on their own vaxxes. eyesroll.gif

#36 of 44 Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilye30 View Post

I had my first experience today actually, at our daughters 4 month checkup. We decided not to vaccinate after she had a seizure after her 2 month vax. I presented the nurse with the vaccination exemption and she rolled her eyes at me, told me I was making a VERY poor choice for my daughter and I am doing a disservice to everyone elses kids and they wont see her again. She asked me to pick up our daughter and take her to the scale to be weighted, she normally takes her to the scale but she acted like she didnt even want to touch her! After that, she didn’t speak another word to me. I kept my composure and said that she was entitled to her opinion just like I am, she walked out of the exam room and slammed the door! WOW!!
We are now looking for a new Dr!

That is absolutely outrageous!!!

Your daughter had a seizure after her last vax! If that is not clearly a contraindication then what is? Hope you will find a good Dr. soon who can actually read package inserts

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#37 of 44 Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

That is absolutely outrageous!!!

Your daughter had a seizure after her last vax! If that is not clearly a contraindication then what is? Hope you will find a good Dr. soon who can actually read package inserts

I agree but...... actually seizures is not a contraindication for ANY vaccine except the DTaP and even then - it specifies that it in the case of PROLONGED seizures that occur within 7 days which cannot be attributed to another identifiable source. Really the only contraindication for most vaccines (with a few exceptions) is a history of severe allergic reaction to that vaccine. 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac-admin/contraindications-vacc.htm

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#38 of 44 Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I agree but...... actually seizures is not a contraindication for ANY vaccine except the DTaP and even then - it specifies that it in the case of PROLONGED seizures that occur within 7 days which cannot be attributed to another identifiable source. Really the only contraindication for most vaccines (with a few exceptions) is a history of severe allergic reaction to that vaccine. 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac-admin/contraindications-vacc.htm

How is a PROLONGED seizure defined? What I found stated 10 - 30 minutes. I don't know how long the seizure lasted but her seizure occured within the 7 days after the vax and apparently did not have another identifiable source. So to me this is clearly a contraindication. But I do know that others might not see it like this at all and def. not big pharma.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#39 of 44 Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

How is a PROLONGED seizure defined? What I found stated 10 - 30 minutes. I don't know how long the seizure lasted but her seizure occured within the 7 days after the vax and apparently did not have another identifiable source. So to me this is clearly a contraindication. But I do know that others might not see it like this at all and def. not big pharma.

If my kid had any kind of seizure - lasting 2 minutes or 30 and occurred 2 days or 2 weeks after a vaccine they would never get that vaccine again. I think the CDC guidelines are bullcrap personally.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#40 of 44 Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

If my kid had any kind of seizure - lasting 2 minutes or 30 and occurred 2 days or 2 weeks after a vaccine they would never get that vaccine again. I think the CDC guidelines are bullcrap personally.

My feelings exactly! Her seizure was long enough to make me research tirelessly and voluntarily go through the headache of getting an exemption, face the critics, get disrespected by her nurse, search for a new dr and who know what else lies ahead. I didnt go through all of this because its fun, I am doing it because I KNOW what caused her seizure and will not allow it to happen to her again. Moms have intuition like that! As moms, we are our newborns only advocates.
"Prolonged" (as defined by the CDC) seizure or not, its still not normal for an otherwise healthy, well-developed 9 weeks old child to seize one week after being injected with DTaP. Its just not.

Any nurse or dr who cant understand that is not promoting "Do no harm".

#41 of 44 Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM

It's interesting to read other people's experiences... And I'm shocked by some attitudes!

I've heard the usual during our first and only visit vith a former pediatrician (she fired us that day), talking on the phone with nurses/doctors while looking for a new one and seeing the new one 2 years later (we completely skipped all visits until then):

- Cases of children dying from random VPDs 'just this past month';

- DD is in grave danger if we don't vax (she is actually super healthy);

- Internet lies;

- Wakefield was wrong (the most often heard argument despite of me not ever talking about Wakefield);

- DD will never be able to attend school;

- There is nothing wrong with the ingredients (despite of not being able to name a few, let alone most common ingredients);

- Published scientific studies lie if/when then deem vaccines potentially unsafe/ineffective; back to internet - full of lies;

- Chicken pox is often deadly - OK - I admit I look younger, but this new doctor definitely guessed my age wrong - I come from a generation when everyone had chicken pox.

- What??? You would prefer the actual chicken pox over the vaccine when they have the same result and the vaccine has no side effects and doesn't cause death??? ... Out of all VPDs this pedi concentrated the most on chicken pox.

And the favorite one from my friends:

- Why would you not vaccinate? Everybody does it.

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#42 of 44 Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 AM

We go to a practice with two peds. Ped #1 I saw with DS and I went in for talk about vaccines when DS was coming up on his 8 week well-baby. He gave his whole story....herd immunity, pet vaccinations, etc. but ended with 'But, you know, God gave you this baby, not me, it's your decision.". DD has been seen by the other doc. In the hospital this doc came to see us and my birth plan had 'no Hep B' on it and doc asked if we aren't vaccinating at all or just Hep B. I told her we don't vax at all and she just said 'oh, okay.'. DD went to the office at 2 months old and when vaccines came up with this doc I just said "Oh, we don't vaccinate'. Doc stumbled all over herself apologizing for not remembering and wanting to make sure I wasn't feeling bullied. We talked a bit about my reasoning and I explained DH and my severe reactions to DTP and MMR. Doc then said that not vaccinating was probably a good idea and that my nursing (I was tandem nursing my 20 month old and DD as we spoke) would be protection enough. Neither docs mentioned it again. 

We don't do well baby's after 8 weeks and the kids haven't been sick so we haven't had a need to go back. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#43 of 44 Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM

I have a 19 month old who is un-vax, breast-feeding and I'm proud to say has never set foot in a hospital. I had a water birth at home and he was born in perfect health. Knowing about the dangers of vaccination I was chose not to participate in any vaccination program. I figured that if my son hadn't broken anything, needed stitches, or needed his stomach pumped for whatever reason...there was no reason for us to ever go there. Hospitals are where sick and dying people go, why would I bring my perfectly healthy child in there and expose him to that, just to pay to have someone tell me he's healthy? Plus having to deal with all the horror stories I'm reading about ignorant pediatricians giving parents a hard time for exercising their parental rights. I've never gone to a "well-baby" appointment and I don't know his percentiles. I feel that parents (particularly mothers) are incredibly in-tune with their children and you know your child so much better than anyone else does. If there is something wrong with your child and you cannot find the answers on your own, yeah take your kid to a doctor that may have more resources available to diagnose your child. But only trusting your doctor with maintaining the health of your child and not thinking for yourself or trusting yourself is unfortunately too common nowadays. My son has contracted Salmonella (eating chicken poop yuk!) and Rotavirus, all before his 2nd birthday. They both lasted about 2 days and he basically peed out of his but for two days, the worst part of which was the diaper rash which he'd never dealt with before. But two days of that and wha-la! It was over and those viruses were successfully in my sons immune-library. I can tell you if your son is healthy and has a strongly supported immune system there is no reason they cant contract any virus and overcome it while allowing their system to identify it and kick it out next time it comes around. I would not recommend a immuno-deficient child to not vaccinate, but at the same time cannot advise to vaccinate either. I do have a very powerful card up my sleeve however. Throughout my first pregnancy (and my current one ) I research deeply the benefits of high dose vitamin C. I took 16 grams (16,000 mgs) a day of pure ascorbic acid throughout my pregnancy, bumping up whenever I needed to suppress a cold/flu symptom or compensating for stress. For my pregnancy, as documented I experienced NO stretch marks, NO complications, a 4 hour labor that was very gentle and essentially pain free and my son was born at 42 weeks (common with vit. C babies) incredibly strong and tested all 10's with his first and second apgar tests. I continue my vit. C practice to this day, once you know the amazing health REQUIREMENTS for vitamin C and fully understand it's function there's no way you can deny yourself or anyone you care about this incredibly beneficial substance. My son is supplemented with about a gram to 2 grams a day ( as much as I can get in him) and has only been sick about 3 times and all very mildly and for short periods of time. I believe this is the single most important thing to be doing in order to support the immune system and you can read about the studies very extensively if you know where to look. Big Pharma and the medical system have done everything they could to discredit any doctor or scientist endorsing vitamin C and have released a ton of unfounded biased studies on it. Check these links out and you can learn a ton more. http://happybub.com/content/view/55/45/  http://www.orthomed.com/klenner.htm   http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/199x/landwehr-r-j_orthomol_med-1991-v6-n2-p99.htm  http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/198x/smith-lh-clinical_guide_1988.htm   

http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm  http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/biblio/biblio_a-c.htm Enjoy!

Rynz likes this.
#44 of 44 Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 AM

I had an ER doctor call my children's Pediatrician to complain about me after I had taken one of my children in to him. He felt I was a negligent mother because I didn't vaccinate, I home schooled my four children and some had been born at home. He wanted my Pediatrician to report me to social services. The Pediatrician informed him that she would not call social services, because I was a very responsible mother and, in fact, if all the parents of her young patients had parents like me, she would not have a practice. This occurred in 1987, when my 4 children ranged in age from 3 to 9 years.

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page